Reconnaissance ( Recce / Recon)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never considered it recon, just getting to know my surroundings and area. For a few years I’ve been printing each section of the tax record overviews. Shows the size and shape of the land as well as any ponds, lakes, streams or buildings on them. Along with that I have the owners names. For people closer to me...within a couple of miles, I’ve personally noted their autos and house members. Written it all down. Also keep up with any trouble makers and such through fellow neighbors and restaurant/bar, salons, grocery store, Tractor supply employees etc.. I’ve never told even my hubby the extent to what I’ve recorded. Just consider it wise to know those around you. I’ve driven and walked many places and know many routes of escape from our home acreage to good spots to hide/shelter. Please don’t consider me weird I’m just cautious and always been inquisitive.

Never considered it recon, just getting to know my surroundings and area. For a few years I’ve been printing each section of the tax record overviews. Shows the size and shape of the land as well as any ponds, lakes, streams or buildings on them. Along with that I have the owners names. For people closer to me...within a couple of miles, I’ve personally noted their autos and house members. Written it all down. Also keep up with any trouble makers and such through fellow neighbors and restaurant/bar, salons, grocery store, Tractor supply employees etc.. I’ve never told even my hubby the extent to what I’ve recorded. Just consider it wise to know those around you. I’ve driven and walked many places and know many routes of escape from our home acreage to good spots to hide/shelter. Please don’t consider me weird I’m just cautious and always been inquisitive.

Planning ahead sure beast the heck out of "what am I gonna do"! I like your methodical approach. More info is always better than too little info.

Last edited:
Planning ahead sure beast the heck out of "what am I gonna do"! I like your methodical approach. More info is always better than too little info.

Thank you for understanding UP! That’s how I see it too. Since I live in a low density area, it makes it easier. Never had time for such things before retirement.

This is what I have around me, I have a lot here around me that haven't been mapped by the USGS and DNR, I have quite a few of the caves, lava tubes that turn into labyrinth that I mapped. When I was guiding the USGS to a lot of these tubes and caves further North (how I met my Wife) I never disclosed these around my property to the USGS and DNR.

http://doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/red-light.10747/#post-141648

I also have maps and business listings that may be resourceful in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI of all the towns around me. I also keep maps of natural resources such as water and food sources. I have 60, 80 and over a 100 year old maps showing trail and roads that are not used anymore and are not on current maps but most are still travelable if one can find them without an old map. Most of us have a lot of resources around us if we dig a little deeper into the past and sometimes it takes getting your hands on some old maps and comparing it to current maps. Researching, exploring can be done for little or no money.

I use old maps and repath (overlay) on newer topo maps and order prints with added paths and useful locations I marked, water, forage location, tunnels, lava tubes etc.. from the mapping place I deal with, all my maps are updated USGS, water proof and have GPS tic and compass coordinates printed on them, I keep a library of maps where each quadrants is in it's own container. even if you live in town one can do this, you can get a better idea what one would be dealing with and may even find some good resources and put the odds in your favor when the time comes, don't discount old map, sometimes they are the hidden jewel of survival ;)

map.jpg

I usually spend a couple hours every day this time of year checking my preimeter fence for needed repairs. At the rate I'm going now it'll a few more days before I make it all the way around my property. Theres still some snow patches in the timber, enough to keep my drinks cold. So far the fence made through winter in surprisingly good shape. Of course I haven't walked down any of the canyons or through the heavy timber yet either.
Today I saw a half dozen deer. The first deer I've seen since November.
Theres no place on my property where I can see another home, even from the highest point. No yards lights at night time either.
We don't have any caves here like Mav has but we do have a lot of old mines. There's an old abandoned mining town on the north end of our property.

Latest posts

Back