Reconnaissance ( Recce / Recon)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillMasen

A True Doomsday Prepper
Banned
Reaction score
upload_2020-4-22_12-7-0.jpeg

Just wondering how many of you folks do active reconnaissance of the area around you homes, retreats, BOLs etc, especially during and after crisise like the type we are going through now? Urban and Rural.

If you do is it on foot, vehicular or horse based

How far from your homestead / house / base do you patrol and roughly at what frequency?

Is there anything APART from intruders you watch out for?

Do you keep a written log of patrols to compare with older entries to see if anything has changed.

What TIPS or GOOD habits have you picked up for youre scouting missions?

I'm desperate to learn how folks in different countries carry out recon / recce??

upload_2020-4-22_11-49-33.jpeg

Last edited:
There is literally nothing to see here. What am I looking for? A person walking down the street? Yes it happens, but very rarely now. Let's see, yesterday on my "reconnaissance stroll" around the neighborhood I passed one girl walking her dog and a group of three middle aged bikers. The girl wasn't even on our street.

Back yards are fenced. Wandering around behind houses would take too much effort and involve too much risk.

So on a Recce ramble a week or so ago I found TWO useful things, (1) The council has ordered the demolition of a row of old garages to make way for housing, They are now officially empty and the doors are hanging off. my mate and I found 1 x ten inch Engineers vice, slightly rusty on the floor of one unit , its now mine, and my mate found a small anvil in another, he is into tin and copper smithing arty things so he is now the proud owner of the anvil. The other thing discovered is a small overgrown pond that was I believe a secondary stock pond for the local fish keeping club who have closed down. The Original pond is long gone and overgrown / filled in but this secondary pond is still about 4 ft deep in the middle and has a healthy stock of what I think are carp. Fresh protein :), I checked Google earth and the pond is to obscure from the surrounding marshy area to be seen. I like Reccies :) I also found empty 12g shotgun shells just off the footpath not 500 yards from my house, that is a concern for the future.

Recce / Recon can be fun as well as informative.

like to walk from work to home,and I try to vary which route I take,just to be up to date,where are new constructions,road works etc, it's been much new
as they are doing the ground works for a new light rail system near me, paths are cut off,old routs closed,well in a tight spot it's just jumping some fences to be able to move.
it also provides me an opportunity to look for possible places to hide if needed.

rely on my detaild map from the army,that somehow,I forgot to give back ;) bloody accurate map of the area I live in.

Did walks to improve my health and to learn the "Neighborhood". Economic, racial, social and of course access and exit routes. It did not improve my health, lungs still are toast but I do know what and whom surrounds me. I also did a google earth search. The pictures are many years old but it does provide good roof top views. It always pays to know your surroundings. The lock down of course hamper scouting trips. There are many paths that are not traveled by folks but it would be nearly impossible to transport a load of supplies. Sand and underbrush, no vehicle access.

Not much human action around where I live but I take the dogs out in the fields and forests and along the lanes. Normally I am just scouting for hideout spots and wild food locations. I had planned on doing a 3 day/overnight walk from the nearest city back to my home in the summer but this is now looking unlikely.

Latest posts

Back