Preppers in my neck of woods...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
read on Sunday from my biggest news paper a whole 4 page
article of Finnish preppers,yup we do excist apparently here ;)

according to the paper we amount to about 2000,where that
number is taken from is beyond my understanding,but we seem to be
very few or very,very much under the radar.

to my surprize it was well written and had no,nada zero of
attention who***** attitude ,media hype in it...
10 yrs ago an article like that would never have been made or printed here.

Glad it wasn't a complete disaster then! We've had a few articles written over here, some have been not too bad. The more exposure there is, maybe the less prepping will be viewed as wacky, (although there are some major wacko nutjobs over here) and maybe get a few more people thinking and prepping even if it's just to add alternative means of light and cooking and a few weeks extra food.

Last edited:
yup,the even made an effort to write about some extra food and other supplies to have at your disposal at home,they've never done it before
which makes you wonder....why now??
and as you said;
The more exposure there is, maybe the less
prepping will be viewed as wacky

I too am hoping that having additional food, water and supplies will stop being viewed as strange. With us having a hurricane season which is 5 months out of the year, you would think it was acceptable, but yet as every storm enters the Gulf, you will see the long lines. . . it smart to want to protect your families. Just glad they didn't focus on the nut job types that end up on reality TV prepper shows. I much prefer the homesteading shows as prepper shows. Every country has a few extreme people who in my opinion take it way too far.

I'm the same Danil I don't watch the prepper type shows, but my guilty pleasure is a certain worm fighting survivalist in the Tremor movies! If only the nutjobs would realise we could have a much more prepared society. As it is, some seem to take pleasure in running down the general public and calling them names. It's a shame really, I'm sure we'd all benefit if prepping became more popular.

yup,the even made an effort to write about some extra food and other supplies to have at your disposal at home,they've never done it before
which makes you wonder....why now??
and as you said;

Over the last couple of years those in charge as well as the media have started encouraging being prepared and showing it in a more positive light. Over here most councils have an emergency plan for people to follow. The link here is just one of what is known as 'Local Resilience Forums'

https://www.dcisprepared.org.uk/a-clear-plan;jsessionid=0F78DC69D66C362E99534FDAC2CA275B

They offer sound advice for short term emergencies and a list of things people can do to make themselves more resilient in an emergency, hence the name.

I'm not sure why it seems to have become more popular, maybe it's just a realisation of the enormity of what the govt might face, or perhaps they do know more than they are letting on!:) Who knows!
The plan that has impressed me is the Swiss emergency food plan

https://thebig1traveladventure.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/switzerland-what-do-they-know-that-we-dont/

And the list

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/OEWatch/201503/Europe_01.html

I started with this list after we moved and have built on it since. The best thing about it is it's an everyman list, it can all be purchased in your local supermarket.

Oh, and if you're wondering what 'Pods' are... Dried Beans, Peas and Lentils. It took me a while to work it out!

Last edited:
the guys they had in the article,seemed like regular people and all focused on; you can't survive long if you are alone,we all need some extra hands and skills
and working together,in a sometimes crappy climate gives you better odds.

Does the newspaper have an online version? If so, just paste a link to it and we can use Google translate.:)

it's that pay and read version only,but,I'll have a few night shifts comming ;)
hopefully quiet ones...

Try copy and paste the article here:) and we can still use Google translate.

but it made me think further,we've had and have that thread "neighbors" here and as I was walking with dogs around here in my woods; as far as I know I'm the only one hunting here,thus the only one with guns,we have two paramedics here,one is me,one very retired nurse,about 75,one lab.tech ,so 4 people with medical background,prolly two of that have supplies home,I know I have,can only guess for that other dude.

as far as I know most here shop every day for food,so prolly they don't have much of nothing at home,nor means of cooking what they have.
alot of old people,kids, a couple of larger immigrant families,but no known skills,as far as I know and I've been living here a few years already,if you don't count drinking beer and yelling your missus a skill,so if anything happened it would make me feel very alone...and my door bell would ring alot I think..

so how do one find neighbors in a SHTF,other than those who still wanna have handouts??

I wouldn't take the shopping daily as a sign there are no stores indoors. I stop off at the butchers or fishmongers on my way home from work for that days dinner, only because I like to see what's good that day and I usually like to cook with fresh ingredients. Once or twice a week we have a store cupboard dinner when I use what's stored, mainly because that's what I've always done and I like to keep the stores rotated as wel as the fact we eat what I store.;) But if you were to go by my shopping habits you would think I had empty cupboards!:D
Thinking about it, that's no bad thing.:)
The people here are a mixed bunch, some elderly, some working families some I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them. There are enough people locally that I would trust enough to make life easier, a lot of the older men are tough as nails and twice as nasty. I've seen a couple of them sort out some young toad who was trying to steal a car, he was seen leaving the area very bloody and walking funny, I don't hold out a lot of hope for his genes making it to the next generation. I also know their wives and they are old school cooks and probably have a good pantry. I've always had the idea to share some of what I have and now I've been here almost a year, I have a handle on who I would share with and who I would bury under the patio.;)

hope I'll managed to do something...other than a big mess.

Attachments

• fin-prep1.zip
    286 KB · Views: 6
hope I'll managed to do something...other than a big mess.
Yup downloaded, unzipped, translated with google, Cheers M'dear.

OK he comes across like a cross between a Bushcrafter and one of those re-enactors who loves to practice to a high standard traditional crafts and living skills, I reckon he would fit well into a US Mountain Man rendezvous re-enactment group with all their associated traditional skills. He is preparing for a very worst case scenario requiring us to going back to being able to craft everything we need to survive from fire steels to boats to bows.

yup,the other one is more down to earth,but it's nice to know we have 'em here too,if only 2000 plus little me ;)
though I would love to have a smitty like he has.

Latest posts

Back