Pokeweed

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
Poke Weed is a fairly common plant that is found around most of the U.S. on the edge of woods, along fence-rows, in pastures and other disrupted soils. It has had various uses throughout history. As a small plant it is edible when boiled in a change or two of water but when mature it is toxic. It also produces shiny dark red berries that have been used medicinally to treat arthritis and the berry juice has been used for dyes and inks.
Years ago I had heard that pokeweed was edible and when I found a bush I sampled the tip of a leaf, not knowing that a mature bush was toxic. Within a minute my mouth started to react to the toxins and I knew something was terribly wrong. I spit out the contents and washed my mouth out thoroughly and fortunately nothing became of it. I learned an important lesson regarding the nature of pokeweed.
Now that new shoots are emerging everywhere and I decided to harvest and prepare pokeweed properly. The plants should be harvested when new and seven inches or less in height. Remove the leaves and avoid purple colored areas.
I put two pots on the stove, the first one containing the pokeweed covered with water and a second larger pot full of water to bring to a boil for the water changes. After the first pot boils for five minutes I drain the water and refill it with water from the second pot, then after another 5 minutes I repeat the process with the third pot and let it boil for 15 minutes and then drain the water out.
Once completed the pokeweed has a mild and “yummy” flavor, much like buttery spinach. It tasted great all by itself (al dente) but I can imagine that taste enhancements like bacon grease, butter, salt & pepper or other condiments would take it to the next level of greatness

I would like to educate myself on identifying edible plants more. Would just hate to go out and eat something poisonous thinking it was fine. Or feed it to the family.

Check with your local Extension Agent, Dennis Patton. He maybe able to tell you who to get in touch with in helping identifing. Email [email protected]. Your in Johnson County, right?

It grows in new ground or on fence rows or the edges of woods. The berries are poison but you sound like that's what your describing. You boil it and drain the water off several times and it tastes like spinich. Its kinda slick when you swallow it.

It sounds like a stoned version of what my kids used to watch! lol!! Poke Weed that's how you give pokemon the munchies!!

Glad you knew Anorak. It does sound like it, but would hate to poison someone with a simuliar. I just keep in the back of my mind that guy who dyed up in Alaska when he read in his "edible" book and it turned out to be a look alike. He died in that bus he was living out of.

Yeah, that story alone should make people really pay attention to what they are putting in their mouths. He tried so hard to live off the land and in the end it killed him.

KC, you can also get ahold of the folks at the Conservation Department in Jefferson City, if I remember correctly they have several publications on wild edibles in our state.

Thank you Ronin. I know this is going to sound stupid, but when my husband asked me one time about how you know what you can and can't eat, I told him to really look at what was around him. If the animals were leaving a plant alone then he needed to as well. That's not a rule to override any other information, but it is a good indicator if something is toxic.

Thank you Ronin. I know this is going to sound stupid, but when my husband asked me one time about how you know what you can and can't eat, I told him to really look at what was around him. If the animals were leaving a plant alone then he needed to as well. That's not a rule to override any other information, but it is a good indicator if something is toxic.
Wouldn't call that stupid at all. When we first bought our place years ago, we found a tree with berries on it. At first, we didn't know what it was, but doing some reseach, found out they were mulberries. These are so good, but dang it those birds love them too. To this day, I still haven't been able to make jelly or even a pie with them. But I nibble on them when I can and thankful for that, cause they do not need any extra sugar added.

Love mulberries, but I've learned to never hang clothes near a bush of them when they're ripe. Birds like to gorge and poo all in the same area so I end up with purple spotted laundry.

Latest posts

Back