Leon Red Bone (Hawk)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a pack rat. I thought that was a name for hoarders.
A pack rat looks kind of like a chinchilla. They get their name because they take things back to their nest. Their nest is made of sticks and stuff and can be a couple feet high. Years ago I kept blaming my son for taking my tools and not returning them. Then I found a pack rat nest in the barn and there was all my missing tools.

What is a pack rat. I thought that was a name for hoarders.
It is where the term "Pack Rat" came from Robin. It is also known as a woodrat. It is a large, mostly rural rat that will steal anything and everything they can drag away and take back to their nests or other hoards. They especially like shiny and colorful objects. Unlike city rats they have a furry tail.
We've had a running battle with them at BOL1 ever since I can remember.

I once left an old Toyota Land Cruiser there for the summer since it wasn't a very good highway vehicle. When I came back, the pack rats had completely removed the wiring harness where it went through the firewall, and had been using an open toolbox as their toilet (it was filled to the brim with rat poop).

Fortunately, we haven't seen any evidence of them at BOL2. Probably because nearly all the agriculture around there is timber.,

My grandpaw said that you can't tell them from a squirrel if they are fried right. Can't speak from experience though.
The pack rats around BOL1 have a better diet than squirrels. They eat grain, sunflower seeds, acorns, soybeans, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, they are practically vegans, LOL.

The pack rats around BOL1 have a better diet than squirrels. They eat grain, sunflower seeds, acorns, soybeans, etc. So it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, they are practically vegans, LOL.

The Cajuns have recipes for them also. Good to eat!

Trying to change sheets, but Leon has the barometer blues and couldn't get up.

Attachments

• 20230803_132032.jpg
    20230803_132032.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 0
At the pool Leon was attacked by horse flies. I was yelling for him to get into the water, but he panicked. Horse fly bites hurt a lot. I got out of water and we ran into the house. He is gnawing at the bite sights. Poor baby.

Argument at our house. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

My husband says our dogs bark for no reason.
I say that something triggers them. We may not see or hear, but since they have much better sight and hearing, something is there.

I have been testing my theory and when they start, I go outside and am very quiet and sure enough I will see or hear something.

I went to bees and when I got back I was removing gear and noticed pool water moving. I looked and our Lab/Pyrenees mix had fallen in and gone through the cover. He couldn't get out so I eventually pull his hind quarters up to deck. The cover is shredded and I'm praying the liner is intact. That is about $1500.

Zeus is a wreck and so am I. The water was very cold. Never a dull moment.

One will bark for no reason a half hour before feeding time.
Sometime the black lab gets upset at the red one for spinning.
Most of the other times, there is a reason. Dogs, voices carrying, etc
If the boxer barks - there is definitely something
So there is a reason. ;)

Ours is about the size of a Russel Terrier, 18 lbs. but her ears are the size of a full grown German Shepard. We laughingly tell everybody that she can hear a snail farting at one hundred meters. She will get this really sharp look in her eyes and point her ears in different and opposite directions sometimes even when there is background noise from cars or lawnmowers for us. No idea what it is or was sometimes but a light growl will warn us of everything.
For the 3 weeks I was in America in July, the wife said it was even worse than usual with her being alone...

Our dogs do not bark very much. Their body language tells us everything we need to know. They can be fast asleep and literally jump up and head to the door or window. Something is always out there…even if it is only a squirrel making noise! LOL

Dog breeds are different on their reasons for barking. Small dogs and dogs that get afraid tend to bark, as well as hunting breeds. It is well known that big dogs that do not bark tend to stalk their prey. Yep, even humans. Our dogs stalks. The only time they bark is when they are playing and when we come into the driveway. They get excited we are home.

Latest posts

Back