Hello from Central Texas (just north of Austin)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey now! I also got my degree from UT and I made it out just fine. Lol

How? I've worked with a number of UT grads over the decades. Arrogant pricks. Spoiled rich kids who definitely had 'white privilege'. At least privilege. Drunks, party animals who think they walk on water. Work ethic of a sloth. But, I'm sure there are exceptions, I've just met very, very few.

Well, I guess I'm an exception then, @TexasFreedom. I'm not an arrogant prick, my family wasn't rich, I didn't drink much (allergic to most alcoholic beverages). I didn't party much and I sure as hell don't think I walk on water. As to work ethic, when I worked in the Budget Office of UTMB Galveston, I often got to work an hour before start time, left late and regularly put in 70-80 hour work weeks during the one month long Annual Budget and Biennial Budget submission cycles. The Budget Director at the time, late one night during overtime, said "I need about 3 more 'Buttoni's' working here". It's kinda like the expression 'all cops aren't bad"..............well, all UT grads aren't either. I didn't go to UT for the prestige of the institution. I actually did my freshman year at NTSU. I had to transfer to UT because they were the only public university in Texas where I could pursue language majors/minors in Portuguese, Italian, and (at the time I thought I might even pursue Russian as a minor). Wanting those majors doesn't make me any of the descriptors you used.

I really love your stove at your weekend get a way property! Very nice and something I would love to have here at the house. I have always loved the originals and have seen those replicas. Right now we have a Samsung electric stove which is an update from the stove that was at the house when we moved in. . . the week of Thanksgiving, it went out! Yep panic mode!! I am really wanting to up grade, since mine is already having issues now, but also know hunny wont do anything until mine goes out again. . . he is one of those last minute men.

Buttoni,
As I said, that is most of what I saw with those I worked with.

OK, curiosity moment. What were your plans to work from degrees in Portuguese/Italian/Russian? Translator? State department? How did you see justifying the expense and years it took to get those degrees? Those degrees are a long way from a budget office?

How? I've worked with a number of UT grads over the decades. Arrogant pricks. Spoiled rich kids who definitely had 'white privilege'. At least privilege. Drunks, party animals who think they walk on water. Work ethic of a sloth. But, I'm sure there are exceptions, I've just met very, very few.
Well. Since I grew up poor, I had to get into UT on scholarship with my grades, not because of my white privilege. Lol. But you’re right. Every friend that I graduated with is now a brainwashed Bernie lover.

Buttoni,
As I said, that is most of what I saw with those I worked with.

OK, curiosity moment. What were your plans to work from degrees in Portuguese/Italian/Russian? Translator? State department? How did you see justifying the expense and years it took to get those degrees? Those degrees are a long way from a budget office?
Well, not that my family asked for justification for their getting me educated to become a productive citizen, but let's see if I can shorten my life. I was already fairly fluent in French, which I learned in Teheran, age 10-12, when my Dad (USAF) was stationed there years ago when the Shah was still in power. Toured the palace; have touched the jewel-encrusted Peacock Throne. French was a required subject in the State Dept. run school there. Back stateside, once in high school I pursued French, and on into secondary education as my major, Italian as a minor. Portuguese is such a beautiful language, it just seemed the next logical course of study to extend my Romance Languages. Originally planned to either do translation work, teach in an international school, or be an international airline hostess, as I love traveling. I wanted to learn as many languages as I could for any of those endeavors. Then I met and married my husband the year I was finishing up school at UT and all personal plans changed. He had always planned to be a World History teacher and isn't that fond of travel. So I ended up teaching high school and junior high French in Galveston/Dickinson area for a number of years. Got fed up with teaching as the profession (and the student population) drastically began to change (and not for the good IMHO) in the 90's. Left teaching for good and honestly, stumbled into an interesting position at UTMB's Budget Office (friend suggested). I'd always liked spreadsheet work, crunching numbers, so I took the position and quite liked it. Curiosity satisfied?

You're a girl! That explains a lot. (yes, I'm being sexist, but not trying to be insulting, men and women are just different)
Yeah, you can sure say that again. LOL Ever read Women are from Venus; Men are from Mars? Oh, I passed the "girl" stage about 60 years ago. I like to think of myself like fine wine, a well-aged woman. :)

Reading that book & understanding any of it are not the same thing. I'm on Mars, and I don't have a spaceship nor even a telescope.

OK, just being open on this. Just how I think. A man goes to college with the intent of gaining a degree & knowledge to gainfully provide for a family. A woman goes to college, to refine herself. Careers aren't nearly as important IMHO. We used to joke that many girls went to college to get their M.R.S. degree. And that was true. Sexist? Oh yes. But in a bad way (as in putting women down)? Not at all. I think the most important by and far thing for a woman to do as a 'career' is to raise her children. Feed / clean / interact, repeat a million times. And that is as important if not more important than the husband's job/career. I have no issue if a woman wants a career outside the home, but I do have an issue with that if it involves complete neglect of her primary job (the kids, the home, the family). And I don't think there aren't exceptions (for example our next SCOTUS should have a stay-at-home husband!). Just my viewpoint, not looking for any debate.

I didn't go to college to get "refined". I've never considered myself a "refined" person and UT could certainly never make me so. I went to college to get further educated as a person. Wasn't looking for a career; wasn't looking for a husband. Didn't even want to go at first, to be quite honest. My folks worked hard my senior year in high school to make me realize I needed to go so I could get enough education (or some special skill) to be able to support myself. Somehow I was under the mistaken delusion they were going to carry that load for as long as I wanted. LOL Expanding my languages (I forgot to mention I studied Spanish also) just sparked my lifelong enjoyment of travel. I thought I would have to give up any hopes of travel when I married right after college, so that decision was a very difficult one for me. In the end, love won out. But my husband has tried to see that we took a trip across the state, across America or abroad nearly every summer we were still working. You see, he also likes to travel. He is a prolifically well-read World History major (his specialty is Military History), so I have my own personal tour guide everywhere we go (to a flaw sometimes, LOL). He usually knows much more than our tour guides. :)

Not that it's key to the conversation, we BOTH chose not have children, but each of us for very different reasons. But had we been of a different mind, I totally agree with you.................If you're going to HAVE children, it should be a full-time job for one non-working parent; part-time for the working parent. But this discussion really isn't appropriate for this forum. I'm not the debating kind either and my replies were intended to be informative, not contentious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back