Has anyone tried to make a homemade water filter and did it work?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep watching videos, they will help if you have absolutely nothing in a Bug-out situation.
No self-made will ever be as effective as a store bought filter...but...using a self-made to PRE-treat the water in question before it is run thru a store bought one will extend the filter life of your store-bought filter.
Having several small filters in your BOB and INCH bags, combined with a larger one to be transported in your bug-out-vehicle and an expensive one in your house till you have to bug out is the right combination.
Also have your chlorine dioxide tabs, mixes or pre-mix with you for last ditch help. Storing your thousand liters/ 250 gallons of water with some micropure tabs, chlorine, potassium manganate, MMS/CDS or such is also advisable. Not so much for the SHTF but for if you lose water for a short period of time from catastrophes and bad water from working accidents in your local towns watersystems.....stored water will hold for over a year with my experiences but you can change it out, clean the container and refill at will and desire. If nothing else, water the garden or flush your toilets and pipes with the now unwanted ex-stored water.

As Gary has recommended, making your own is useful, even as a pre-filter.
Yes I have made a few of my own, they worked, but not as a stand alone filter and done method.
My biggest problem was the container and construction of the filter element's so they could be changed out easily.

I basically had to deconstruct the entire filter and reconstruct everytime it became inefficient. My best one was in a tall 7 gallon bucket.

I'm thinking of making screen trays that fit inside a bucket with a rubber gasket. Each filter component in its own tray, stacked on top of each other.

Campo: What is the purpose of the "Water Filter" you seek?

Is it to get the big crap out of dirty water so Chlorine can be used to purify potable water without floating crap in it?
Or is it to totally purify the water in only only step?

Is it for travel by foot or stationary bug out location?
How much potable water is needed daily?

Without this information you may be missing the boat in inexpensive and simplicity.

Please advise.

Latest posts

Back