Foxnews: Preppers, once mocked, say they were ready for coronavirus crisis

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Across the U.S., "preppers" have been planning for an event like the coronavirus pandemic for years.

Now, as a run on toilet paper and necessary supplies have created vast lines and panic in our nation's supermarkets and stores, some are able to sit back and relax — while being humble enough to avoid saying "I told you so."

“We're not laughing. We're not saying ‘I told you so,' when people are out there fighting over toilet paper and hand sanitizers,” said Ohio resident Paul Buescher.

“The apocalypse is not a thing that's going to happen,” she said, according to AL.com. “But if you think about being prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you're probably going to be prepared for the coronavirus.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/preppers-avoiding-panic-amid-coronavirus-outbreak-us

My husband went to our friends grocery today and he had us a case of Ramen noodles. He said they were selling like gold.

That makes a total of over 100 packs. This is not healthy, but my son can make it without assistance in case he was stranded here alone. (God forbid) He won't be healthy, but he won't starve.

My prepping experiences helped me a lot, staying calm and focused now. It seems that it calm down my employees as well, to convert my company into a home - Office Chat room. That we should be now, calm, attentive and demonstrating to our people surrounding us responsibility...

I never said "I told you so" Did not even think about it. Just thought "Shit, how many will not understand till it is too late", "how many will be begging, stealing, breaking down mentally and even being able to die/kill for their fight for food..." Do and did I prep right?" "did I forget something?" BUT, to make myself feel better or justified and tell someone now running in fear that "I told you so"...no.
My job as a prepper is to lead the way, be a good example, learn more, prep more, want more and give more ideas and info to those who DID AND DO understand why we prep... So far, I have gotten many peoples attention, trained lots of survival classes, prepped for the whole family and feel no fear or danger yet. Time will tell if I was the biggest fool or just had a hunch and a good idea at the right time.
Just like playing the lottery or buying something on the stock market...get lucky or just blow your money??? God bless us all. GP

I never said "I told you so" Did not even think about it. Just thought "Shit, how many will not understand till it is too late", "how many will be begging, stealing, breaking down mentally and even being able to die/kill for their fight for food..." Do and did I prep right?" "did I forget something?" BUT, to make myself feel better or justified and tell someone now running in fear that "I told you so"...no.
My job as a prepper is to lead the way, be a good example, learn more, prep more, want more and give more ideas and info to those who DID AND DO understand why we prep... So far, I have gotten many peoples attention, trained lots of survival classes, prepped for the whole family and feel no fear or danger yet. Time will tell if I was the biggest fool or just had a hunch and a good idea at the right time.
Just like playing the lottery or buying something on the stock market...get lucky or just blow your money??? God bless us all. GP

Very well said. I think it's about getting back to the basics... my grandparents all had root cellars. They were filled with all sorts of home canned veggies from the garden, some store bought shelf stable items, canned venison, dandelion wine and other goodies. They weren't preppers, that's just how those people lived. They had been there, and they had seen it... maybe they didn't have food pails and all the self defense items I do, but grandpa had a 45-70 and they were more worried about bears than a hoard coming from some high pop area. They were self-sufficient. That's what I try to emulate.
Some folks think we're crazy for not relying on uber eats to supply our sustenance... I'd be willing to bet our ranks will swell after this is all over!

Very well said. I think it's about getting back to the basics... my grandparents all had root cellars. They were filled with all sorts of home canned veggies from the garden, some store bought shelf stable items, canned venison, dandelion wine and other goodies. They weren't preppers, that's just how those people lived. They had been there, and they had seen it... maybe they didn't have food pails and all the self defense items I do, but grandpa had a 45-70 and they were more worried about bears than a hoard coming from some high pop area. They were self-sufficient. That's what I try to emulate.
Some folks think we're crazy for not relying on uber eats to supply our sustenance... I'd be willing to bet our ranks will swell after this is all over!

Frozen Tundra for my husband and I, we grew up as children and grandchildren of people that lived through the great depression and for my husband dust bowl. We cut our teeth on the stories of struggle and desperation. Grasshoppers eating the handles out of the hoe and living on grits and sweet potatoes all winter. It affected my own parents so much as children that until the day they died they always had a full larder/pantry/root cellar etc. Never would they get caught without again. It always reminded me of Scarlett O'hara in Gone with the Wind. "As God as my witness I will never be hungry again." Those lessons have been forgotten by a new generation and may be destined to be repeated.

Growing up in the country, everyone was a prepper but didn't know it. It was just a way of life to can, dehydrate, raise chickens etc.

The next generation seems to have stepped away but thankfully many of us remember what our grandparents did and have tried to bring back some of the simpler ways. I started canning and dehydrating to cut down on processed, chemically infused food. I add a little salt to some of my canning goods and that's it.

Growing up in the country, everyone was a prepper but didn't know it. It was just a way of life to can, dehydrate, raise chickens etc.

The next generation seems to have stepped away but thankfully many of us remember what our grandparents did and have tried to bring back some of the simpler ways. I started canning and dehydrating to cut down on processed, chemically infused food. I add a little salt to some of my canning goods and that's it.

Prepper, Survivalist, Homesteader and sometimes just plain old farmer the labels may change but the mindset is the same and survival is still the goal for us all. And we all hopefully learn from one another.

My husband went to our friends grocery today and he had us a case of Ramen noodles. He said they were selling like gold.

That makes a total of over 100 packs. This is not healthy, but my son can make it without assistance in case he was stranded here alone. (God forbid) He won't be healthy, but he won't starve.

They would and are good to have. I feel Everyone needs to be growing potatoes! They really can sustain a person.

My mother was happily surprised when I reverted back to my grandmother’s way of living. It felt “right” and “natural” to me. Truthfully, I’ve never felt better. Hubby could not understand it for a long time...being a city boy. LOL:D He got stuck on his point of, we don’t need to do this. We can buy everything we need. But after enjoying the things coming from the garden and the fresh eggs, he is all about it now!

My children are very much connected to the land. I am grateful for that.

They would and are good to have. I feel Everyone needs to be growing potatoes! They really can sustain a person.
Another great option is the sweet potato. Better shelf life than the potato. Less susceptible to wilts and fungus problems in some climates when growing your own. A little different nutrition/vitamin set. Especially in hot climates and poor soils.

My opinion only, don't start using your prepping supplies. The stores (in the US) are stocked and there is everything you could still need readily available. What I do suggest is use the opportunity to rotate your stored foods so you store the freshest to extent the life as long as possible.

Went to a local Food Lion yesterday to see if I can get a few odds and ends. Shelves fully stocked. Even had TP (which I didn't need). I picked up fresh bread and some fresh produce and anther case of bottled water (they had lots of different brands). Only thing I couldn't find was ground beef. They had plenty of other beef products, just no ground beef. Most likely, if I shop in the morning, they would have had it. OH, make sure to keep your tanks topped off. With the cheap gasoline prices, that may be the best deals you can find today.

. OH, make sure to keep your tanks topped off. With the cheap gasoline prices, that may be the best deals you can find today.
Our neighbor works at the local gas station and just sent us an info. We should go fill all tanks and cannisters. HER boss sent an e-mail that she and all other workers there should fill up before they go home today. He is not sure how well the supply here is guaranteed and how fast the re-supply will occur...Also good idea Jack, keep shopping just like normal and keep your reserves in reserve...GP

I don't buy ground beef and I don't trust my wife to buy it either. Last time she bought some it tasted old. Most of the ground meat we buy is pork, which she uses for a lot of Chinese dishes. My favorite is eggplant, which is sliced in quarters and stir fried with some ground pork, garlic, and sweet and sour sauce. MMMMM my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I thaw out a venison roast and grind it fresh when I need ground red meat for burgers, chili, or spaghetti sauce. I mix it with olive oil to make burgers.

Latest posts

Back