Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read about people growing it in buckets, but you would need a LOT of buckets!

It's so easy to grow other grains and quinoa is a "complete" grain or whatever, that I am not planning on growing rice anytime soon. We will see about our potatoes this year. I might plan on those, too, but it might be harder for me to keep the seed potatoes for the next year until I can get a decent root cellar. Probably best for me to just keep as many seeds for all of it as possible in case I mess something up!

I am taking " Proud Prepper and Survivor 316 " advice and have ordered my Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers . I have never before tried to store the volume of rice that I now have , with the possibility of it being long term . With things looking the way they are , it doesn't appear I will be storing it long term , but just in case the expected SHTF doesn't occur in this calendar year I want it to last until SHTF does occur . -- Another question though what bucket lids I have bought in the past didn't seal well at all . Any advice on getting airtight buckets .

I have tried several bucket lids and I have a bunch that don't fit. I don't have any tips. I'm still trying to figure them ou!. The gamma lids that everyone raves about have never worked well for me... probably user error, but it I can't get them to work.

Another thing I forgot about that we have done is just put a bunch of mylar bags that are vacuum sealed into large metal trash cans. That also protects against any rodents since they can't chew through it.

I use myler bags n oxygen absorbers, food grade buckets, also. I use metal garbage cans for stuff like chicken food, dog food, bird food, and dry foods that I've vacuum sealed that is not in myler bags. All in cooler dark areas. I do store dry goods, dehydrated foods in canning jars and vacuum seal the jars with oxygen absorbers in the jars. Check them periodically to make sure nothing is sticking to sides or bottom of jars...which means moisture.

I've read a rat can eat through a metal can? but I've never seen any evidence of that happening with my stored food, but then again I've seen no evidence of mice or rats anywhere around any of our food storage areas...yet!

I am taking " Proud Prepper and Survivor 316 " advice and have ordered my Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers . I have never before tried to store the volume of rice that I now have , with the possibility of it being long term . With things looking the way they are , it doesn't appear I will be storing it long term , but just in case the expected SHTF doesn't occur in this calendar year I want it to last until SHTF does occur . -- Another question though what bucket lids I have bought in the past didn't seal well at all . Any advice on getting airtight buckets .

ULine sells these in various sizes and colors. These are 7 gallon. With resealable airtight lids.

Attachments

• 20230723_154501.jpg
    20230723_154501.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Alert - I received information from a source I personally know that walked into a Walmart in Southern Mississippi to buy flour . They were out of flour and the store clerk told him " they would not be getting in anymore flour " . Now my personal source I have full confidence in . The only questionable part to this is , if the Walmart employee was possibly wrong .

This is what I am used seeing. . . View attachment 20374
Yes if they have flat land they use it. But there isn't enough flat land to grow enough rice to feed all the people. So the make do with whatever they have. Taiwan, for example, is 25% flat and 75% mountainous. And the flat lands are mostly developed now. They run the rice fields right up to the roads and houses using ever square foot possible.
TaiwanRicePaddy.jpg

I am in the Appilacians with you, my friend! Great place to be isnit it?! Anyway…the amount of rice depends on your other preps. Generally, total grain amount per person a year is 300-350 lbs. I use that number. Those grains include wheat/flour, rice, oat/oatmeal, pasta and cornmeal. Some folks eat more rice than others, BUT during the times coming when food will be in short supply please keep in mind that you can’t grow rice. At least most can’t. Make sure you can grow potatoes to take it’s place. Most food prepper calculators only have 50 lbs of rice suggested per person.
Good information and yes...it is a good place to live. I was doing a little rice and flour math late last night while canning green beans. Google said one pound of rice will make two and half cups ...I usually cook one cup per meal for five people. So 150 pounds should give us about 500 meals roughly Since I am diabetic though I cant eat rice anyway. I do harvest lambs quarter seeds for grain...it is a bit of work but they are great for you.

Latest posts

Back