EMP - Is what I'm reading a Joke or something?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep it simple and go back to the basics. Water, food, shelter and security. Just consider what it would take to make those four thing happen.

Exactly.

I wonder: does storing electronic materiel in watertight containers underwater protect against EMP?

I know that radar doesn't work underwater, so how would the EMP interferewith electronics stored in a deep lake?

Water conducts electricity, but not radio waves. That's why boats use sonar. Submarines can't communicate by radio unless they send up a teathered bouy.

The way I understand EMP is that it's a lot like putting aluminum foil in a microwave oven and watching it spark.

I would guess ( note that I said guess, not know) that reasonably deep water would protect against EMP for the same reasons why radio doesn't work underwater.

I would guess that dropping a sealed container of replacement electronics into the deep end of a swimming pool might work.

Any ideas?

I know military submarines communicate at depth with shore installations with ultra long wave radio signals, So I guess if the EMP type bursts were at higher frequencies all should be fine, But I get by with metal biscuit tins, metal trash cans and old microwave ovens to protect my electronics from EMP / CME

Water conducts electricity, but not radio waves. That's why boats use sonar. Submarines can't communicate by radio unless they send up a teathered bouy.

The way I understand EMP is that it's a lot like putting aluminum foil in a microwave oven and watching it spark.

I would guess ( note that I said guess, not know) that reasonably deep water would protect against EMP for the same reasons why radio doesn't work underwater.

I would guess that dropping a sealed container of replacement electronics into the deep end of a swimming pool might work.

Any ideas?

I don't like using Wiki but you might want to read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Also if you get the chance pick up the book by Ted Koppel
https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-C...TF8&qid=1486169844&sr=1-1&keywords=ted+koppel

EMPS are not humanity ending events in the sense that all life on earth would end as we know it.....To me they are no more than a minor inconvenience especially to this new generation that would go bonkers without the cell phone.

IMO the whole EMP thing is just one big fake news story.....one of many fear factors.....

No, they are a distinct possibility in this day and age.....They are only fake news to Nutters (Conspiracy Theorists) who live on the edge of Paranoia. They are a real threat but not in a end of life as we know it way...The US put out reports in 2004 and 2008 warning of the dangers of an EMP attack. Nuclear weapons are not the only source of an EMP attack, they can be generated by lightening and solar storms as well.

The 2004 Report on EMPs
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

The 2008 Report on EMPs
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Gauging the Threat of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100908_gauging_threat_electromagnetic_pulse_emp_attack

The EMP Threat Is Real and Growing
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/world-report/2015/10/01/we-cant-keep-ignoring-the-emp-threat

The US military has taken some steps to harden its equipment from EMPS but overall the US government has done little to protect the country as a whole. This is not one of those Doomsayers or Fearmongers far fetched predictions that can be dismissed as BS.....

As a side note when considering how to protect our electrical grid from an EMP attack the major drawback is the fact that the cost to protect major power sources from such an event would be astronomical and most major power companies simply do not have that kind of cash laying around. It would take a consorted effort by both the major power companies and the US government....with taxpayers most likely footing the bill.

No, EMPs are a real threat to our way of life and the country as a whole..The best offense is a good defense and right now our defense sucks. So no this does not err anywhere on the side of fake news.

Last edited:
if we thought that, nobody would be a prepper.

How many Preppers can effectively prep for a EMP ? a handful.....I don't waste time or effort on millions to one chances.....as a Prepper you should also know how much ( fake ) information is pushed out everyday about everything......remember Ebola ? remember the PANIC about it and all the hundreds of millions thrown at it and then ? POOF.....a few days later and you never hear about it......Are you Prepping for Ebola ? How many Preppers are wasting money on prepping for Ebola ? probably none.....any money you are wasting on EMP preps should be spent elsewhere.....the chances of a EMP is about like you going to work and getting Ebola.....The Government loves making chit up so they can take your money and put it in their pocket.....the government also loves writing huge million step documents and assuring the public they have a plan to take care of everyone.....I wonder where all the ebola money went ?

No, they are a distinct possibility in this day and age.....They are only fake news to Nutters (Conspiracy Theorists) who live on the edge of Paranoia. They are a real threat but not in a end of life as we know it way...The US put out reports in 2004 and 2008 warning of the dangers of an EMP attack. Nuclear weapons are not the only source of an EMP attack, they can be generated by lightening and solar storms as well.

The 2004 Report on EMPs
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf

The 2008 Report on EMPs
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Gauging the Threat of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100908_gauging_threat_electromagnetic_pulse_emp_attack

The EMP Threat Is Real and Growing
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/world-report/2015/10/01/we-cant-keep-ignoring-the-emp-threat

The US military has taken some steps to harden its equipment from EMPS but overall the US government has done little to protect the country as a whole. This is not one of those Doomsayers or Fearmongers far fetched predictions that can be dismissed as BS.....

As a side note when considering how to protect our electrical grid from an EMP attack the major drawback is the fact that the cost to protect major power sources from such an event would be astronomical and most major power companies simply do not have that kind of cash laying around. It would take a consorted effort by both the major power companies and the US government....with taxpayers most likely footing the bill.

No, EMPs are a real threat to our way of life and the country as a whole..The best offense is a good defense and right now our defense sucks. So no this does not err anywhere on the side of fake news.

Like I just posted, the government loves the fear factor so they can keep stealing money.....and they like funding long winded articles and papers on what if's......and paying friends to write those articles and studies....the people who waste one minute worrying about an EMP may be the Doomsayers.....when or if the electric goes out does it matter why it went out ? your still sitting in the dark....

How many Preppers can effectively prep for a EMP ? a handful.....I don't waste time or effort on millions to one chances.....as a Prepper you should also know how much ( fake ) information is pushed out everyday about everything......remember Ebola ? remember the PANIC about it and all the hundreds of millions thrown at it and then ? POOF.....a few days later and you never hear about it......Are you Prepping for Ebola ? How many Preppers are wasting money on prepping for Ebola ? probably none.....any money you are wasting on EMP preps should be spent elsewhere.....the chances of a EMP is about like you going to work and getting Ebola.....The Government loves making chit up so they can take your money and put it in their pocket.....the government also loves writing huge million step documents and assuring the public they have a plan to take care of everyone.....I wonder where all the ebola money went ?

"IMO the whole EMP thing is just one big fake news story.....one of many fear factors....."

Perfectly summed up, Your OPINION nothing more :)

And most preppers can greatly aleviate the risk from EMPs or CMEs with a few sensible precautions.

One does not have to prep for ebola, only a fool focuses on ONE specific virus when there are hundreds of equally nasty viruses out there. We should simply be prepping sensibly for any viral contagion, IE Isolation protocols, hygiene protocols quarratine protocols etc be it flu , hanta, ebola or what ever, pretty much the same protocols for bacterial outbreaks but add broad spectrum anti biotics. As for EMP preps they are insanely simple, metal tins lined with bubble wrap and close fitting lids to keep radios, circuits and any other stuff you consider vulnerable. Ham radio gear and ancillaries in metal lockers. do that and radio comms are pretty much assured.

Last edited:
Like I just posted, the government loves the fear factor so they can keep stealing money.....and they like funding long winded articles and papers on what if's......and paying friends to write those articles and studies....the people who waste one minute worrying about an EMP may be the Doomsayers.....when or if the electric goes out does it matter why it went out ? your still sitting in the dark....

Preppers wont be sitting in the dark, they will have everything from candles, light sticks, oil lanterns, gas lanterns, PV and wind powered devices, Butane powered fridges, bottled gas, wood, coal powered heaters, stoves and cookers. as others like to point out (A) its OUR money and we spend it as we see fit (B) Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and to not have it. And I know very few preppers anywhere who take any notice of what US or UK governments have to say, we KNOW by default they will TAX/SHAFT and FAIL us. thats why we are preppers.

i prep for most things, including EMP's(no electricity) and Ebola(comes under the heading of PANDEMIC's), you might not have heard much about Ebola but we heard a lot about it in the UK, one of the nurses who went from here to Sierra Leone got ebola TWICE and had to be flown back here for treatment.

nice one doc, I just put my wifes I5S in a metal biscuit tin lined with bubble wrap and a tight fitting equally metal lid and tried phoning it, the tin sucessfully blocked the signal. Make be worthwhile doing some experiments with other sealable metal containers perhaps in combination with foil coated mylar bags as well???

The Government loves making chit up so they can take your money and put it in their pocket.....the government also loves writing huge million step documents and assuring the public they have a plan to take care of everyone.....I wonder where all the ebola money went ?

You fail to see the point here...EMPs are not just a government worry they are a worry for everyone....Major power companies also have to worry about this...Your conspiracy theories are just that conspiracy theory. You have to look past the paranoia.

How many Preppers can effectively prep for a EMP ? a handful.....I don't waste time or effort on millions to one chances.....as a Prepper you should also know how much ( fake ) information is pushed out everyday about everything.....

So you consider EMPs fake information? You ever heard of the Carrington Event? This happened long before conspiracy theorists invented this fake news crap, false flags.
http://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event

Prepping is preparing for what can happen no matter how remote the chance of it happening...No Prepper is totally prepared for anything. The world around us is constantly changing, Mother Nature is as unpredictable as ever, NASA is missing asteroids that they never saw coming though none are in danger of hitting earth. I would stop worrying about what the government is or is not doing and concentrate on what you can do....

Latest posts

Back