what I'm learning at the BOL.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So about the place I'm living at the BOL.

This is an apartment, built loft style above the first floor of a 60 x 100 machine shed.
It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I actually helped build the place...

Anyway, a younger brother who was having drug and alcohol problems was allowed to stay here about 5 years ago and he destroyed it. Holes on all the walls, urinated and defecated wherever, broken windows, frozen pipes, stripped out and stolen wiring, and now farm junk is all over.
I'm fixing it all.

But for now, I'm re-learning lessons from my youth. Some basic things can be true luxury items.

The water... 3/4 inch line from the upper house burst about 6 inches above the point of entry. Fixed, and installed new ball valve.

Ruptured pipes all around . Replaced. Now I have water.

Toilet: broken. Second thing I fixed.

A shower is a God send. I was showering under a spigot head outside that ran water to the cow pasture. That sucked at 9:30 pm after a hard days work. I have shower now.

The water heater had to be cleaned. It works now.

There is no sink. The ceramic pedestal sink was smashed. I'm going to go with a big tub style sink. Sucks washing dishes in the shower.

Have a big metal tub! I have a plastic one, and a metal one, and the metal one is the go to tub. Like a 20 or 30 gallon one. You will be glad.

Have a back up heat source. This place has a massive wood furnace in addition to the LP furnace. I can light a small fire, and go to work, then crank it at night when I sleep. The entire shop is insulated, it holds heat well.

Flourecent light sucks. Either stock up on ballasts and bulbs, or stock up on regular light bulbs. I like regular light bulbs. Oil lamps don't light up large spaces very well. Just a circle of light. Not much use.

Have a way to wash clothes by hand. I use the metal tub, and DREAM of having a washboard. I'm going to get one. Then, I won't even bother with a washing machine.

Have some bug nets. Big ones. Even with the windows plasticed over and taped up, it's still a machine shed. Fly's and mosquitoes get right in. Bugnets are awesome. Or go insane when you try to sleep, if you want.

Have a few ways to cook. I have a state park grill, a round charcoal grill, and a gas camping stove. They all have to be watched more than an electric stove to avoid burning food. I won't be installing a stove in the apartment. I could easily run a gas line, but nah.

Either buy oil, or save up used motor oil, but have oil. If your BOL isn't sealed really tight, humidity is hell on guns. I check on mine once a week, and wipe them down with a treated cloth. But in a pinch, any oil would he better than nothing.

Get a small solar panel, and a small 12 volt fan. It's to vent your building. If the power goes out, your second floor is gonna get hot. This place is crazy hot with all that metal roof right overhead. A good vent is must, it really helps.

Stainless steel plates and bowls are awesome. So much better than glass and ceramic when your situation is... Fluid. Lol. Chuck'm in a bag or box and go. Also, you can cook on them, and really scrub them clean.

Have some really easy to make meals. I have some canned food and some instant stuff, and after you get off work, mow a waterway, feed cows and chickens, feed dogs, work on a motorcycle, and finally shower and it's time to eat, sometimes you don't want to mess around. I love all the fresh vegetables and home grown beef I have here, but sometimes you just need it now.

Man, I better have it nice by then!

Defensively, we have a tall watchtower in the grain leg over the bins. Center of property, easily cover it all and then some with the 30-06, the 8mm Mauser, the 7mm, any of the high caliber long guns.

A good selection of bolt action and semi carbines. AR's and an AK. Good selection of pistols. Shotguns, but they are all 3 hunting shotguns.

The property is bordered by roads on 3 sides. The neighbor on one side is a deplorable, raises hogs, shoots a lot. Good guy. The neighbor on the other road we have known forever, we helped his dad work on the 3/4 scale B 17, helped plant his grape Vines... He and his wife raise goats, and are state certified to sell milk, goat, and ice cream. We are bartering with them, goat feed (corn, oats, and hay) bedding, and beef. We get milk and ice cream. It's really good. Cheese soon, hopefully.

7 miles from a town of 15,000. Not in a "good" direction. Well away from the interstate. 2 miles to the river. One weak spring on the property, it mostly Waters the cows. Another spring and Creek across the road. We know the owners, we can go there, but no hunting. It's just a big, unused feild and some wooded hills.

We need some options for defending the second house. The machine shed has a concrete first floor, and is built into a hillside, it's pretty solid. The house, though...

The farm house is good to go. Center of property, good lines of site, a good place to shoot from.

@Squirtgunsquirter

You are sounding very positive and very active. Really good signs. Defense first stage is an early warning system. Know they are there or on the way first. Homestead Fire fights are a last resort in my planning. I am a big fan of MAN traps after a WROL is the norm. Focus on getting you living conditions where you want them and then concentrate on your defenses.

Except for cleaning up this part of the property, this is stuff every one has been doing for a long time.

The owner is making a maple syrup cooker, but we have been doing it with another friend for years, I usually help when I am around. Tap around 50 trees. We all get some but it gets donated to a church pantry. We make salsa, wine, it's a good place to be. I'm thinking of getting a couple bee hives. It's a good idea to contribute new things, I think, rather than just help out with existing activities.

It's good to stay busy, although we all spend a decent amount of time sitting on the hill and just drinking and talking. A lot of folks I grew up with here are in really bad shape at mid forties. Drugs, alcoholism, poverty. It hasn't changed.
If more old friends came over and helped, with gardening or husbandry, or even farming, it would be good for them, and they would get stuff, meat, eggs, whatever. But a lot of people just like to come around when it's all done. Lol. It's ok.

Really, there are three of us doing most of it, with about 5 more who regularly contribute. We help each other out, always have. More hands make quick work. So do backhoes.

Latest posts

Back