Emergency Wilderness kit (Go bag)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageagle

HamRadio/Office of Emergency Services/Fire-EMT-SAR
Reaction score
Here are some basics for a wilderness emergency kit.

SIGNALING AND ORIENTATION.....
Signal mirror, Compass, Whistle, Flare, Waterproof match case with matches.
SHELTER AND WARMTH.....
Poncho or emergency blanket, Warm parka for cold nights, warm waterproof boots, Tube tent.
FOOD.....
Pot to cook, collect water etc, Maple or brown sugar to give you strength for 4 days, Tea bags and/or broth cubes, Water purification tablets or filtration system, Canteen or water bottle, Mess kit.
TOOLS.....
Axe or heavy knife, Sewing kit, Brass wire for snares, Fishing kit, String or leather for emergency repairs, Rope 12" to 24" long, Flashlight and batteries, Gun and ammo
(book says not of prime importance, i say absolutely important)
FIRST AID....
First aid kit, Insect repellent, Salt tablets, Table salt, Rubbing alchohol, Bandages, Aspirin, Tweezers, Feminine napkins (Females), Sterile gauze , dressings, individually wrapped (2"x2" and 4"x4" ), Snakebite kit, moleskin for sore feet, Baking soda, Small bottle of distilled water, Cotton applicators, Tube of petroleum jelly, Mild antiseptic, Thick blunt needle, scissors with blunt points. Piece of clean folded old bedsheet, Roll of 1/2 wide adhesive, small bottle of aromatic spirits of ammonia.....

In addition to the above my emergency kit (Go Bag) contains a VHF/UHF transciever and a hand made extension antenna of wire for extended range when needed. Your bag should include a wideband scanner capable of both VHF and UHF (coverage 30 mhz to 900 mhz)

It would be nice to hear whats going on around you and if your at some elevation you can hear quite a long distance away.
With my small VHF/UHF handheld and short rubber ducky antenna at 4000 feet I can easily hear signals 140-160 miles away and remember, emergency services, police and fire usually have their transmitting systems on a mountain top or tall building.

I also carry a multi knife, 20 inches long with sharp edge on one side and saw blade on the other. Has great multi purpose uses.
Another knife with a built-in fire starter, small compass and a built-in multi stone.
A bracelet made of paracord.

If you have room for an extra pair of jeans bring them. you can tie up with cord the belt loops to close that end and the end of the pant legs can be looped and tied to the belt loops making a quick backpack. Your arms go through the looped pant legs with the upper part of the jeans on your back.

Remember that communications will be essential after an event and if the event is one of siezure of citizens weapons you can be sure that any and all communications at your residence will be disabled or taken from you. (Ham radios, CB radios, FRS and walkie talkie type radios and scanners).

Would you agree that everyone is a bit different? Here is something to practice.....when you go to someone's house, a freind, family member or another freinds freinds house look in the medicine cabinet of the bathroom while relieving yourself. NOT TO BE NOZY OR FOR THEFT REASONS.....
When we think of what to prepare with we all miss things and I guarantee that you will find something you forgot to think of.
( I have done this and found that there were several items I had not thought of)

There are many flashlights out there these days and we all need one we can count on in a moments notice..........
I have 2 Nitecore EA4 Pioneers. It uses standard "AA" batteries. (4) and has great run times. Moderate use mine will last 3-4 weeks.
It has many modes for survival.
4 modes per "soft click" low, Medium, high and max, Max is 860 lumens.
3 modes per "hard click" Strobe @ 860 lumens, SOS mode (this is morse code flashes, 3 fast, 3 slow and 3 fast) and a beacon mode @ 860 lumens).
This is NOT a sales pitch, it's an FYI for a small, power and versatile handheld light you can always count on.
You shouldn't have to rely on any charger or special batteries and having a light that has many functions is invaluable.
You don't need a light that is extremely bright, all the time.
You may need at some point a light which can be used on very low light
so not to draw attention to yourself.

I have been using this light for over a year now, and with the fire dept. I have removed my Mag Re-charcheable from my unit, the nitecore blows it away.
It is 4 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inches in diameter and utilizes a new wave CREE XM-L high intensity LED. It is as bright as 1 100 watt off-road light I have on my off-road vehicle. It lights up an area about 60-70 feet in diameter at 250-300 feet and very bright.

I show it to other fire fighters, EMT's and law enforcment and have changed the minds of many, and I didn't get a penny from it.
Same for now, i'm not trying to gain anything, just maybe a thank you after you have purchased and see for yourself what a reliable light this is.
You can purchase it with a diffuser and a high quality sheath and I think they have introduced colored lens covers.

Check it out......................... http://www.nitecore.com .........................................................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back