Do you stack Gold/Silver as part of your preps?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all on the person if you ask me I would not take it for trade I have extra ammo coffee and tabbaco for trade and gold or silver is nothing but useless metal to me. Just my 2 cents :)

I'm creating a seed bank as I really think that will be a huge barter item. Although gold and silver will be a commodity to trade with eventually but in reading history, it will be a long time coming before it's a viable option after everything takes a crap. Oh and I stock up on a lot of toilet paper and paper towels. My husband thinks I'm crazy and that I should leave the "hygiene" stuff to the leaves.

Fordrocks, if you can find it, look for Saturday Night Live's Land Shark skit from back in the '70s. You will find you have good reason to be afraid... very afraid.

Originally I was just going to post 'Hey remember the Land Shark from Saturday Night Live?' , but then I realized that you are just a few months older than my oldest daughter and probably wouldn't have a clue.

Dear God, I'm old.

One thing that we are planning to use for barter is horses. We raise a few each year and could step that up with additional mares. What really works for us is that we do all of our own training, we teach them to be used under saddle and in harness. If gas is hard to come by or non-existent, what would someone trade for a nice 4 year old gelding that is broke to ride and drive? We've already used horses as barter items, traded a mare in foal for a car for our oldest daughter.

Fordrocks, if you can find it, look for Saturday Night Live's Land Shark skit from back in the '70s. You will find you have good reason to be afraid... very afraid.

Originally I was just going to post 'Hey remember the Land Shark from Saturday Night Live?' , but then I realized that you are just a few months older than my oldest daughter and probably wouldn't have a clue.

Dear God, I'm old.

You're only as old as your body tells you that you are! Yeah, that doesn't work for me most days either. lol

Mercy, if I go by that rule, I ought to be in the ground and decayed some days! LOL

I personally dont think the economy will get that bad. The government seems to be
good at creating fake money. With that said, i do not get economy. I understand
the basics of it, but after that, it seems like a bunch of made up rules that are
created when its convienent for certain groups.
So that being said, If things become so bad that we need to rely on our preps,
Gold and silver will probably be useless. I do agree that people put value on
shiny things, but them people probably dont prep, because if they did, they would
rather have a bottle of water than a gold coin, i know i would. In fact its most
likely ill stay far away from people as possible, and be SUPER selective if and
when i talk to anyone.

That sounds like a good idea Harry. I don't want to be around a lot of unprepared people when the balloon goes up.

Of course, gold and silver is a very popular item, but bullets I think are a potential currency.. just like gold and silver are useless in the desert if you need water...the way its going ammo is harder to get in Kalifornia.

It's getting hard everywhere..Walmart has you limited to 3 boxes and the shelves are just about empty all of the time.

gold and silver such as antibiotic are good for certain applications but they are an investment if you are storing them, imo for survival, its better to have the supplies you will actually use. if you think it will hold value more so than the dollar it makes sense to invest in that commodity, what weighs more 2000 dollars in bill form (20 100's) or an ounce of gold? none the less I would be reluctant to trade for gold unless I could test it because metals can be "counterfeited" and if you don't have a means to test them you are susceptible to be scammed during trade, this is why i think barter for items of use will be a much better investment.

IMO they are an investment if anything more than small quantities for medical purposes or electrical and mechanical operations, catalyst etc..

I think that commodities are just part of the investment portfolio people take to balance out their assets when they have that money - gold is funny though because it is just so damn high, I've seen silver inch up each year, when it was selling for about $10 5-10 years ago, it went up to $12 then $15 so its value has been going up. gold and platinum and other rare earth metals are just way too rich for my investments way too much to loose fast (bearing I was robbed of $15,000 in cash in January, you should serious bear in mind how you are protecting that money, and where you can store it if you do bug out.

However if you have the money, why not?

just to comment there, if you think that Nato will go into Syria, and Iran, and that the world will stay together buy gold and oil futures. If you think that the us will attack china and the world economic system will stay together and the US will come out on top buy gold. If you think that none of the above scenarios are likely, you might want to buy materials you will actually use and are non perishable or you will use before they go bad.

Imo investments in things like food source (rabbits, layers, etc..) seeds that you will plant, solar and wind generation systems, a water purifiers, will be worth more than their weight in gold. It all depends what your situation is though.

trusting gold as a commodity for when the dollar collapses or things are endangered is age old as a fall back, but personally how I see it is, they will keep squeezing the system till it breaks, and when it breaks while there will be some that can use gold or hope to monopolize for when things resume order, it really is just a hunk of metal, and if you can't use that metal, it is dead weight. if choosing rations or gold when in a war zone, you better damn well hope people think the metal is worth something if you choose it over rations.

Personally currency is by agreement, during crisis I think barter is a much more secure economic system.

while some hunger for gold, it could lead to indigestion.

A little gold now and then is good for you though, you just want it good and small. So many people don't get gold in their diet, and that is unfortunate.

Yeah I agree. If shtf id rather have food than gold. While it might be a
good investment, in small and/ or short term quantities, its just not
gonna be of any good if things get real bad. There is a video game called
Fall Out LasVegas. I believe its a post nuclear disaster, and in their
world they se bottle caps as currency.

I feel that in any situation, it is good to have multiple possible currencies, i personally have over $150,000 in gold and silver, a large distillery, allot of seeds to grow plants to trade, 150lb coffee, ammo plant with 500,000 shells and bullets and 250lb of pure Tobacco. i know this is probably over kill, but if you have the money, use it now before it is worthless.

Oh ya I don't store gold or silver. I figure there will be plenty of it laying around in the end..

If planning to need to trade, stock up on tools and extra food, even combustible materials for warmth, heck the other week Aldis (Discount supermarket from Europe) had a sale on sleeping bags $19.95 for a -3c sleeping bag, for 90% of Australia that's a good bag 90% of the time, and that's a very cheap price in Australia.

Now if I was buying anything to stock away and later trade, I would have bough five of those bags, maybe even a couple of tents or swags, some army surplus wool blankets too, People will find water and food in 99% of cases if the climate allows for it, but if it's too damn cold they will simply die.

However, by all means it is best to have a small stockpile of wealth for a recovery period so you can start again easier, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket though, when the SHTF it may be a very long time before we recovery enough to establish an economy based on currency, in fact it's possible such a world may never return, just depends on the type of fan slushing defecation that occurs.

Latest posts

Back