Digital Ham radio offered by Motorola

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds cool, not that I know much about them to start with. I have toyed with the idea of getting a small setup though. Any idea of startup costs, and is it much to get a license?
I have been thinking of late that when tshtf it would be hell to be out of touch with what's going on. As I'm getting ready for whatever might happen including solar flare I thought analog would be better for me...but I have no clue about these sort's of thing's. What do you think would be good for me?

Sounds cool, not that I know much about them to start with. I have toyed with the idea of getting a small setup though. Any idea of startup costs, and is it much to get a license?
The license is very expensive, it involves passing a 35 question, multiple guess test.
The most expensive part is to get everyone else in your group licensed - it is like pulling teeth!

Anything that has the big Mon it is expensive.
The M stands for MONEY.....

I would guess the radios are around $800 each and the repeater is around $5000.00 plus the price of the tower and the antenna and the land to put it on.

I have been thinking of late that when tshtf it would be hell to be out of touch with what's going on. As I'm getting ready for whatever might happen including solar flare I thought analog would be better for me...but I have no clue about these sort's of thing's. What do you think would be good for me?
It all depends on what you want to do and who you want to listen to or talk to....

Amateur radio would require you to get a license...

You can listen to anything you want - without a license.
The HF bands has the most to listen to.
The public service bands has the most critical information.

You would have to check to see if your local public service is analog or digital.
And, if it was digital, which type of format they use...

It all depends on what you want to do and who you want to listen to or talk to....

Amateur radio would require you to get a license...

You can listen to anything you want - without a license.
The HF bands has the most to listen to.
The public service bands has the most critical information.

You would have to check to see if your local public service is analog or digital.
And, if it was digital, which type of format they use...
Local use but also when I'm not at home ie holiday's in the U.K dont think I'd try to go on a plane with 1 lol. Thx for info. So much to buy...Think I will finish my pandemic kit 1st then get radio.

Latest posts

Back