canning supplys

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think thats a good idea too but I also hear that if you throw it in the freezer for awhile (idk how long) it will kill off bugs and any eggs that might be in there. that gets rid of the giant sugar rock issue lol :)

I put oxygen absorbers in some 5gal. buckets of sugar now I have 5gal size blocks of rock candy it's still sugar but I'll have to grind it back into powder when I need it, I've started storing it in the 5gal. size mylar bags in a 5gal. bucket now, I use my vacuum sealer to suck all the air out before I seal the bags, so far so good...

im wondering what'd work best pressure cooker/canner or pressure cooker or pressure canner a water-bath canner when it comes to veggies

The name of the lids are "Tattler Lids." They are made right here in the USA as well, actually Fruita, Colorado. You can do a web search and buy them directly from the company or places like Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, OH (they cater to the Amish and off-grid living) carry them in their on-line catalog.

Blessings,
Shenandoah
Thank you for the response, I'm sold on the idea of reusable!

i hear that sugar becomes hard as a brick when it comes to the oxygen absorbers..have you had that problem?and if so,what do you do when it comes to that?
I haven't opened any of the jars I used the oxy absorbers on yet, they were for long term storage. I read that you can get 25 yrs if kept cool and dark with them. I can definitely see sugar getting hard, but I'm sure it would be easy to crumble it back to pourable consistency. I think sugar would be pretty stable for long term storage, this was mostly to make sure no buggies got to it.

I can't give you any advice when it comes to buying jars retail...I have never bought a new one in my life!! All of mine have come from yard sales...never paid more than $2 for a box of jars and the vast majority of they time, folks give them to me to tote them off! Yes, it is a tad more work to clean up those "barn fresh" jars but, well worth the savings. We do not have a dishwasher so the following is my process for assuring they are sanitized and safe: First, I wash the jars, then I fill them with a bleach water solution. They sit with this solution for at least an hour and then I wash em in new dish water again. Voila! Clean, safe and cheap jars.

Blessings,
Shenandoah
I've got to start going to yard sales!

I put oxygen absorbers in some 5gal. buckets of sugar now I have 5gal size blocks of rock candy it's still sugar but I'll have to grind it back into powder when I need it, I've started storing it in the 5gal. size mylar bags in a 5gal. bucket now, I use my vacuum sealer to suck all the air out before I seal the bags, so far so good...
Hey wildman, I haven't used any Mylar bags yet, how do they seal? I have a foodsaver with a vacuum port, would be cool to use it, so far have only used the rolls of bags, which by the are awesome! Last years veggies I put in ziplock bags are covered in ice and some freezer burn. With the food saver they say they will last three years easily, I'll let you know if that's true in a couple of years.

Hey wildman, I haven't used any Mylar bags yet, how do they seal? I have a foodsaver with a vacuum port, would be cool to use it, so far have only used the rolls of bags, which by the are awesome! Last years veggies I put in ziplock bags are covered in ice and some freezer burn. With the food saver they say they will last three years easily, I'll let you know if that's true in a couple of years.

I use a hobbico sealing iron to seal the mylar but a regular iron would work too but for me the hobbico is easier and I had one in my shop already. Using a scrap piece of 2x6 across the top of the bucket as an ironing board I seal across the top of the mylar leaving about a ½ inch at the corner unsealed, then I take the food saver vacuum port hose and attach a plastic drinking straw to one end, I stick the plastic straw in the ½ inch opening and kind of pinch around it with my fingers to form a seal, suck all the air out, this is the tricky part you have to slide the straw out and seal that last 1/2 inch with the iron before any air can get back in the bag this is where the hobbico iron is better than a regular iron it takes a little practice but you’ll get the hang of it.

I've never heard of reusable lids, where did you get them? I know you can use a wax to renew lids but have not tried that. Right now lids may be cheap, but one day we may have to get used to working with what we have
They are called Tattler lids. Just look em up on-line. They are actually made right here in the USA, Fruita, CO to be exact!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I use a hobbico sealing iron to seal the mylar but a regular iron would work too but for me the hobbico is easier and I had one in my shop already. Using a scrap piece of 2x6 across the top of the bucket as an ironing board I seal across the top of the mylar leaving about a ½ inch at the corner unsealed, then I take the food saver vacuum port hose and attach a plastic drinking straw to one end, I stick the plastic straw in the ½ inch opening and kind of pinch around it with my fingers to form a seal, suck all the air out, this is the tricky part you have to slide the straw out and seal that last 1/2 inch with the iron before any air can get back in the bag this is where the hobbico iron is better than a regular iron it takes a little practice but you’ll get the hang of it.
I wasn't aware you could seal a Mylar bag. I wonder if a foodsaver would be hot enough to seal them?

Not trying to be a wiseguy or smart arse but have u tried searching under Ball Canning...they have been around longer than I have and I'm not a spring chicken anymore...lol They have a very nice site with loads of info....good luck on the canning.
Lot of great recipe ideas there too!

I wasn't aware you could seal a Mylar bag. I wonder if a foodsaver would be hot enough to seal them?

The foodsaver will seal them but the one I have won't suck the air out of a mylar bag like it will the foodsaver bags thats why I use the hose attachment.

Not trying to be a wiseguy or smart arse but have u tried searching under Ball Canning...they have been around longer than I have and I'm not a spring chicken anymore...lol They have a very nice site with loads of info....good luck on the canning.
My first try at canning last year was straight out of the ball canning basics book, it's sold with the canning supplies in most stores. I've since looked on line and there is a ton of recipes you can find. I look at several ones and then kind of average them out with consideration to the spices I like best, like pepper, garlic and onion. Good luck.

I agree with the people who brought up Water Bath canner and tattler lids.

If you have a dishwasher you do not need the rack for sterilizing them. You can just use the dishwasher. I would get the magnetic little thing though that picks them up out of hot water, in case you still want to can after SHTF.

As for water bathing vs pressure canning. You do NOT want to pressure can every thing, that's why you want a water bath canner. Fruits, jams etc in a pressure cooker will go to mush. You mainly want to do things like meat in the pressure canner and fruits in the water bath canner. That's why you want both.

As for pressure canner, make sure to not go cheap, get one with out a gasket and that is metal on metal. Otherwise you will be replacing the gasket every year at a high cost to you-and again won't be able to find SHTF.

You do not need labels. I bought them at first but rarely use them. I think they are a waste of money. Instead get thin to medium grease crayons and right on the lids....if using metal ones and not tattler use sharpies directly on the lids-you will just throw them out any way! The labels are a waste and take forever to wash them off the jars-even the ones for canning.

I don't know about scoops-I guess with dry things that would be good. With wet things we use a metal ladle (like soup ladle from dollar tree!).

For dry canning, I would use the food saver, you don't have to worry about the oxy absorbers, and all that with it. And it looks like the cheapest one gets the best ratings! bonus!

buying used jars is regional around here I find very few used ones and when I do they want more then new prices (I can get new ones cheaper) they think they are such a novelty and mark them way up (grandkids clearing out grandma's things) sorry I can get new at walmart cheaper thankyou...they aren't that weird of a item to pay such high dollars for.

BUT if you live in a area where they are marked reasonable for used ones. I would only use them for dry canning, or water bath, not for pressure canning. Because you don't know how they were taken care of, if they were ever microwaved, or used metal inside and hair line scratched, the pressure canner could make them explode, and then you would lose more then you gained by getting them used.

buying used jars is regional around here I find very few used ones and when I do they want more then new prices (I can get new ones cheaper) they think they are such a novelty and mark them way up (grandkids clearing out grandma's things) sorry I can get new at walmart cheaper thankyou...they aren't that weird of a item to pay such high dollars for.

BUT if you live in a area where they are marked reasonable for used ones. I would only use them for dry canning, or water bath, not for pressure canning. Because you don't know how they were taken care of, if they were ever microwaved, or used metal inside and hair line scratched, the pressure canner could make them explode, and then you would lose more then you gained by getting them used.
Yeah, I lost some tomatoes in a new jar, they can have defects too. I guess it's just part of learning to can. I wouldn't worry about using used ones though, just look at them carefully, and realize you may loose one occasionally.

Latest posts

Back