Bugging in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm,that sounds very nice..but if you are planning to bug in,why not make the place as comfy as possible :D

We have themed rooms, and are still in the process of painting them, so don't really want it to clash. (I'm an artist, so my wife and I plan murals throughout the house).

In the Dining Rm, theme is maps (old world style), and we're doing a mural of the Game of Thrones world map on a scroll, on the wall (just to be a bit different). Our bedroom will have an Egyptian tomb theme with those scenes all on the walls. Our master bath is an animal print theme (stripe of zebra pattern and stripe of leopard pattern on brown walls). Living room is a medieval castle theme (faux stone block muraling on walls). Main bath is already done, and is an Orient theme (black and red, gold accents, and murals of Chinese characters). Den is done, and is a western ranch theme (even a big pair of longhorns over the fireplace). My son's room is done, walls all black, with a Misfits skull mural on the wall (though we'll also add a Nightmare Before Christmas scene as well). My daughter's room is going to have a Wisteria Lane theme (think Lynette's house from Desperate Housewives...my wife's theme idea). Our ranch gal's room is going to have murals of Irish castles and landscape. The ManCave area is going to be black and made to look like a bar (with neon signs, etc.).
I've always been envious of freehand artists! I can stencil with the best of them.

Started out as a favor for a friend, for their kid's room. Came out so well, we kind of do it on the side now. So the idea of doing them in the house is also for portfolio reasons.

Finally getting around to working on the Game Of Thrones map mural in the dining room.
Here's what it looks like so far: (map drawn in, some of the scroll work painting done). I still have to go in and "age" the scroll and add some burns, etc. and of course, paint the world map on the scroll. I'll post some more in progress pics as I go.

GOT-Mural2.jpg

If you look real close (upper left), you'll see a pic we took with the actor who plays "Ser Lorus" on the show, and beneath that, one we took with the actor who plays "Hodor" on the show. The pics below that are of us on a replica throne from the show. Just to the left, are signed character pics of these same two, and a pic my wife took with the actor who played "Kal Drogo" on the show. As we meet more actors from the show, we'll be adding pics to this area. I'll have to take a pic of the whole room when done (and when we have the new light fixture).

My new goal is try and have this done by end of October. We should also have the new tile down by then in the main hallway. (already completed our bathroom, and a small tiled area behind the bar in the dining room). Hopefully have the living room painted (where we're doing a castle wall motif), by Thanksgiving as well as our master bathroom (the zebra stripes strip and leopard print strip on the walls). Mostly, want to have this all done by the time we host Thanksgiving at the ranch.

The mural in our bedroom (Egyptian tomb theme), goal is to finish it by Christmas, maybe even Thanksgiving if I can get it all drawn in by end of October.

The ManCave and our ranchhand's bedroom are just going to have to wait until next year. We're also converting our tack shop (horse stuff) to a crop room business (where a bunch of women pay to come and scrapbook, using tools, etc.), so will likely be repainting in there too. Again though, that would be next year. Planning to do the shop conversion in Nov though.

Last edited:
Bloody hell Gazrok I could have given you a GoT map on canvas my son no longer wanted, five ft by four ft, I only threw it out a couple of days ago.

Bloody hell Gazrok I could have given you a GoT map on canvas my son no longer wanted, five ft by four ft, I only threw it out a couple of days ago.

Wouldn't work well for portfolio purposes for our mural bit though.... ;) We actually have a nice poster map that I used for reference.

Though, in the ManCave, (black walls, red accents, and a few neon bar lights), I'll also be using some wall decals from Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

Hi, I'm very new to this and would just like some advice on what everyone would recommend I should have at home if I was to bug in. I have 2 small children under 4. Looking for ideas on food, water, protection, clothing etc. Thank you

might try stopping at yards,and look for clothes,for the kids.and get 2 or 3 sizes to big for them.seeing how they'll grow into them..and keep some of the clothes in a b.o.b...and swap them out as/when needed

I'm all about 'bugging in'. We have some 'bug-out' options in place, but if we have to go with any of those plans, it means that things are truly bleak. To that point, sustainable food & water (like Gazrok mentioned) is our primary concern along with defenses/protection. We are rural enough that intruders will not likely be a huge problem, but we are not so naïve to think that it won't happen. And more so as the duration of whatever event continues. Scout out whatever area you live in so that you will know what resources you may have available should they be needed, and develop some ideas/plans on how to access and use them before they are used up by others. One of our resources is a 68,000 head feedlot (cattle raising operation) about a half mile from us. Which means (maybe?) that we get to eat steak for a long time! Or, more realistically, we'll get to harvest a beef once in a while IF they don't all die a couple of weeks into 'the event' causing a plague of 80 million flies and enough stench to drive us out when the wind comes out of the wrong direction.

Good points. I definitely have a list of post SHTF "loot targets" that we'd hit (assuming they are fairly empty and uncontested). We have some major food warehouses around here, a few large propane sellers, and of course pharmacies, doctors' offices, etc. that would have resources we might need. But, we aren't going to get into gun battles for them....it would be more of an act of opportunity.

Latest posts

Back