Bees

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the bee keepers. When it is hot this is said to help your bees survive. Marbles in a container with cold water.

1689934090922.png

The university of Arkansas had a bee problem that their college folks didn't know how to tackle , so they called in my son-in-law . The bees were in a hollow tree that they did not want cut down . Solution my son-in-law and grandson climbed up to the hole in which the bees were entering using a climbing tree stand . They drilled a small hole below the opening for inserting smoke . Also a funnel was fitted over the bees entrance which basically allowed the bees to leave but not return . A nuke was also fitted over the one way funnel containing comb and honey . They filled the tree with smoke and left . Today they received a call from the college folks . The bees left the tree along with the queen and were hanging on the outside . My son-in-law is going back by the college this evening to hopefully collect the bees .

This summer for reasons only known to the bees , my one and only hive the bees up and left leaving lots of honey and comb . Before I figured out what was going on robber bees had cleaned out the abandoned hive . I gave up as I am a diabetic and really can not eat much honey nor does anyone else in the household . As my son-in-law has bee hives only about 1/4 mile from me , gave all my supers , frames , foundation and honey extractor to him . He seems to be doing well with the bees . -- Those college educated bees that I spoke of in my previous post seem to be doing well and are building comb in their new home .

This summer for reasons only known to the bees , my one and only hive the bees up and left leaving lots of honey and comb . Before I figured out what was going on robber bees had cleaned out the abandoned hive . I gave up as I am a diabetic and really can not eat much honey nor does anyone else in the household . As my son-in-law has bee hives only about 1/4 mile from me , gave all my supers , frames , foundation and honey extractor to him . He seems to be doing well with the bees . -- Those college educated bees that I spoke of in my previous post seem to be doing well and are building comb in their new home .
I have entire hives abscond almost every year. I jest keep replenishing in the Spring. I raise them mostly for pollination. I went 3 or 4 years with almost zero honey. The first year, I had enough to sell. I'm keeping most of this but giving some to people who help me out.

Instead of absconding, the swarm is making comb on an open limb. That seems really odd to me. They don't seem to be leaving, but they can't survive in the open.
What is your plan or are you going to leave them to their fate ? How big a swarm was the original cluster ?

My mentor told me to suck it up and get down there. I did. It was so hot. I took an empty box and put frames in it and baited it with syrup. Then I climbed a ladder and waved a frame as high as I could to get their attention.

I saw some going to the hive but not a lot. I'll see tomorrow. It isn't that large of a swarm. Probably half the size you see normally. It was from a weak hive. Not sure if there is a queen.

I also can't believe they have made comb on the tree limb. Pretty good size for 24 hours.

I did it! The bees are so mad. Used my machete and pried the comb off and the dropped into a box I was holding. I put the comb into the the hive and dumped the bees in. Gave them some sugarlic.

Update. Just checked and those butts got out of hive and went back to the limb and are building new comb. I give up.

I did it! The bees are so mad. Used my machete and pried the comb off and the dropped into a box I was holding. I put the comb into the the hive and dumped the bees in. Gave them some sugarlic.

Update. Just checked and those butts got out of hive and went back to the limb and are building new comb. I give up.

Cut off the limb next time

@TexasFreedom update on swarm. They have stayed on the limb now for a month. Went down yesterday to cut down again, but this time there was no comb, just a wad of bees. I got all of them into a box and sprayed the limb with vinegar. Usually, they immediately go back to limb, but this time nope.

I fed them in the new box and I stuck my ear to it today and they are buzzing. I guess that vinegar is a deterrent.

I'm not expecting them to stay, but it has been a learning experience.

steal a frame of brood (with eggs) from another colony and give it to them. They will either immediately try to make a queen, or not. That will tell you if they have a queen, and it will help boost their numbers. Drawn frame would really help so they can start storing sugarwater.

Latest posts

Back