Bees

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
AD, Robin,

Talk around to local beekeepers. Find someone LOCAL who has lines that are at least 5 years old treatment free. Buy a few nucs from them. Follow THEIR advise on how to manage the colonies. Visit them as they inspect their bee yards. Stop playing the expensive Beexit game, leave that for Britain!

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
AD, Robin,

Talk around to local beekeepers. Find someone LOCAL who has lines that are at least 5 years old treatment free. Buy a few nucs from them. Follow THEIR advise on how to manage the colonies. Visit them as they inspect their bee yards. Stop playing the expensive Beexit game, leave that for Britain!
I have a local mentor and buy from him. He has classes in the spring. I believe what happened is, if you remember, no one in this area had much honey harvest because our spring and summer were so wet the bees ate their stores when they were rained in. Therefore, we are having to feed them sugar this winter because they don't have any reserves. I guess they arent really digging the sugar. He said it was happening a lot here. Next spring I will monitor the weather more and make sure I don't let them eat all of their honey and have some left for winter.

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sent in my deposit for two nucs.

How much do you guys pay for a 5 frame nuclear of Italians? I pay $165 per nuc.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
That's cheap. Nucs in TX are in the $250 range. Italians are still 'popular' for the unknowing, but other breeds have quickly gained popularity due to longevity. But most places charge the same price independent of breed. Packages here are in the $150 range.

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a new field day tomorrow at my mentors apart. I am also picking up two nucs to replace the one's that absconded.

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up 2 nucs today. Looked in rear view mirror and I have about 100 bees on my window. Longest trip home ever.

Two bees were hidden in my jacket and one got me on the finger. Other than than, I was lucky. I have my hatch open so the rest can fly out.

Last edited:

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
A neighbor who sells me moonshine also has around 50 families of bees. I am going to ask if he will put one here on my land for the flowers on the acacia tree, potatoes, cherry tomatos and other trees here...only about a tenth of the flowers on my cherry tree have turned into cherries, the rest were not pollinated since it was too cold and no bees were flying or they were too far away. At the lake 3 miles away, all the cherry trees are full of fruit. :(

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my bees into their new homes and added the honey supers.

I had an empty hive and some renegades had a huge comb attached to the inner cover. What a mess. There was a little honey so I broke off that part of the comb and brought it in. I know that hive is going to be hard to harvest.

Latest posts