why?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why are sunspots dark? Shouldn't they be brighter? The inside being hotter?

How can we use a telescope to look back in time? At another Galaxy I get, it takes light time to travel here, so we see old light. But back towards the beginning of the universe? The first thing to leave an explosion is light. Next, blast wave front, the air transmitted shockwave, and finally, debris.

If we are standing on the congealed debris, that light is WAY long gone.

Why did we all evolve from one thing? If one thing could crawl out of the ocean and flop around, why couldn't lots of different things? I don't buy evolution, it makes no sense to me.

Why do we have stone tools and fur ponchos for most of human history, then wham! Sumeria and sophisticated technology and math and the oldest known written story? Cave art aside.

I'm sick. The cough syrup is kicking in.

upload_2018-11-14_6-22-37.jpeg

I still think it's funny that we still think of our "known" Universe as the whole shabang.

It's actually pretty ridiculous when you think about it. All throughout our history, we were confident of the boundaries of existence, until of course, it kept proving to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger....etc. Villages, nations, continents, planets, solar systems, galaxies, galaxy clusters, etc.

Who is to say that our "known" Universe isn't actually just one more aggregation of galactic clusters, and that yet another group of such, exists beyond our detectable range, and yet others beyond that, etc.

Who is to say that our "big bang" wasn't just one of many? Perhaps these big bang events are as common as neurons firing in our brains?

We humans can be so smug in our ignorance.

That's the rub. The Universe (as we know it even)...could literally be TEEMING with life, but due to the vast distances involved, and the assumed progression of tech, it's extremely likely that only a very small number of sentient lifeforms have mastered interstellar travel. Even then, they'd have to be looking for signs and signals that fit their current tech level.

Example, if you turn on an old, analog TV, not hooked up to cable, will you get anything? Nope. And that's just a matter of decades. Now apply that to tech detection methods for millions of species, in different levels of tech advancement, separated by billions and billions of miles in all directions.

We've found hints of life all over just our own solar system. I'm betting in my lifetime, we'll confirm microbes in moon ice, martian ice, and life in oceans on some moons. So I very much doubt we're alone, since our system is fairly typical, so these conditions are present elsewhere. (nor are we even sure that life couldn't exist in other ways, and conditions). We are constantly surprised where we find life.

Star Trek actually had a neat idea....that our beacon to the other spacefaring races would be breaking the Warp barrier (faster than the speed of light for non-Trekkies). Many think our first atomic explosion was that same beacon. (and maybe it was, for at least one or some races), who knows?

So again, it could just be a matter of us not quite having the tech for the signal another race is looking for.

Other than distance, TIME is another factor. Civilizations far away from us, could have come and gone before we even learned to make fire. Still others may be at the fire stage themselves, so our signals to them go unheard. Yet another may be far beyond using radio, etc. signals, so it would be like us hunting for an 8 track player.

How can we use a telescope to look back in time? At another Galaxy I get, it takes light time to travel here, so we see old light. But back towards the beginning of the universe? The first thing to leave an explosion is light. Next, blast wave front, the air transmitted shockwave, and finally, debris.

Why did we all evolve from one thing? If one thing could crawl out of the ocean and flop around, why couldn't lots of different things? I don't buy evolution, it makes no sense to me.

Why do we have stone tools and fur ponchos for most of human history, then wham! Sumeria and sophisticated technology and math and the oldest known written story? Cave art aside.

I think you might need to take a nap.;)

Star Trek actually had a neat idea....that our beacon to the other spacefaring races would be breaking the Warp barrier (faster than the speed of light for non-Trekkies). Many think our first atomic explosion was that same beacon. (and maybe it was, for at least one or some races), who knows?

So again, it could just be a matter of us not quite having the tech for the signal another race is looking for.

Other than distance, TIME is another factor. Civilizations far away from us, could have come and gone before we even learned to make fire. Still others may be at the fire stage themselves, so our signals to them go unheard. Yet another may be far beyond using radio, etc. signals, so it would be like us hunting for an 8 track player.
You have quite an imagination there.

I still think it's funny that we still think of our "known" Universe as the whole shabang.

It's actually pretty ridiculous when you think about it. All throughout our history, we were confident of the boundaries of existence, until of course, it kept proving to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger....etc. Villages, nations, continents, planets, solar systems, galaxies, galaxy clusters, etc.

Who is to say that our "known" Universe isn't actually just one more aggregation of galactic clusters, and that yet another group of such, exists beyond our detectable range, and yet others beyond that, etc.

Who is to say that our "big bang" wasn't just one of many? Perhaps these big bang events are as common as neurons firing in our brains?

We humans can be so smug in our ignorance.
Oh, I'm sure there exists other forms of life somewhere, but I am just trying to exist in my life the way it is here and now. No brain time for contemplating all the possibilities.

Send me some of that syrup. Sounds fun.

You have quite an imagination there.

Sometimes, I think I'm the only one looking at it logically.... ;)

Every single time we think we've found the furthest object, in time, we find more.

As more time passes, we find more and more evidence of life-sustaining conditions in pockets on other worlds, even in our own solar system. Going by evidence, not imagination, our system seems rather common, so it's logical to assume these conditions are possible on many other worlds.

Indeed, our own planet finder projects seem to suggest just that.

I don't think it's my imagination at all. It's really just logical deduction. With all those worlds out there, the chances of other lifeforms, and the chances of some of them being sentient, is just far too great, from a sheer statistical standpoint.

I get having enough here and now to deal with...believe me.

These are thoughts I've held for many, many years....so I can kind of rattle them off easily enough.

On some things, I love being right, when folks like Stephen Hawkings are wrong...(i.e. I've said String Theory was bunk the first time I heard it....same with Dark Matter). ;)

G, get some sleep.

The 'so common' factor is part of the problem. The earth is unusually boring. Just the right distance from the center of our galaxy so we aren't torn apart. Just the right distance from an incredibly stable star. No other odd planets to destroy our atmosphere/orbit.

It's almost like all of this was put together on purpose and by design! Go figure... (or just read your Bible!)

Latest posts

Back