What's for dinner tonight?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today for lunch, I was in a mood for a fried shrimp Po'boy
shrimp poboy-1.jpg

So how exactly do you eat a crawfish anyways?
So how exactly do you eat a crawfish anyways?

Well first thing is to have them boiled by a Master of the Art. Grab a crawfish with your hand of preference by the head with head facing inward to the palm, then place your other hand over the tail and break apart where head and tail meet. Then with your hand holding the head, you can squeeze and suck out the tasty juices and fat from the head.
Then with your hand holding the tail, with its thumb under the tail where it meets the tail fin. You put the end with the exsposed meat to your mouth, gently grabbing all of the exsposed meat with your teeth while pushing upward with your thumb from the underside of the tail above the tail fin at the same time.
Your pulling with your teeth at the same time your pushing from the other end with your thumb. The crawfish should slide right out into your mouth if they where boiled properly. No peeling necessary and each one can take no more than 3 seconds from grabbing it until it's in your mouth.

Last edited:
I sometimes have to break open the first ring or two to get it to come out whole. But once you know how, you won't starve to death trying to eat them as some people claim. Also, there is an art to breaking it open so as to keep the tail meat in one piece.

Yeah some people peel part of the shell to get the meat out. If they are boiled properly you don't have to peel them at all. I can remove the entire tail into my mouth at a rate of one per 1 to 1.5 seconds.

Well first thing is to have them boiled by a Master of the Art. Grab a crawfish with your hand of preference by the head with head facing inward to the palm, then place your other hand over the tail and break apart where head and tail meet. Then with your hand holding the head, you can squeeze and suck out the tasty juices and fat from the head.
Then with your hand holding the tail, with its thumb under the tail where it meets the tail fin. You put the end with the exsposed meat to your mouth, gently grabbing all of the exsposed meat with your teeth while pushing upward with your thumb from the underside of the tail above the tail fin at the same time.
Your pulling with your teeth at the same time your pushing from the other end with your thumb. The crawfish should slide right out into your mouth if they where boiled properly. No peeling necessary and each one can take no more than 3 seconds from grabbing it until it's in your mouth.
I’m not so sure about sucking the head out part, but I will try the tail part the next time I get a chance.

Yeah some people peel part of the shell to get the meat out. If they are boiled properly you don't have to peel them at all. I can remove the entire tail into my mouth at a rate of one per 1 to 1.5 seconds.
I haven't had a properly boiled crawfish since the 1970s in Mississippi. My next door neighbor's brother was part owner of a refrigerated trucking company, and when it was crawfish season they would bring back burlap sacks full still alive on trips down to Louisiana, and we would have have a proper crawfish boil.

You can't get live crawfish here, at least not the big red ones. Sure the restaurants have them but they are cooked dead. :(

A consulting company I used to work for had people working in Portland, ME.

I used to meet them at the airport baggage claim during cheap lobster season. $5 a pound, packed in coolers with dry ice and seaweed. We used to eat good..... I sure miss that.

I have a bunch of crawfish traps loaded up in my boat waiting to go. Some of the lakes and rivers around here have some very large crawfish. I'm looking forward to getting out and filling up a couple coolers. Once I catch the crawfish I leave them in a bucket of water overnight to "purge". Good eating little critters.

I have a bunch of crawfish traps loaded up in my boat waiting to go. Some of the lakes and rivers around here have some very large crawfish. I'm looking forward to getting out and filling up a couple coolers. Once I catch the crawfish I leave them in a bucket of water overnight to "purge". Good eating little critters.

Do not put them in a bucket of water overnight, you will drown the ones on the bottom. They need air. Instead put them in a sack or container where they can all get out of any water and keep them damp and cool. To purge them submerge them briefly in salt water, it will make them regurgitate. It's not neccessary, it's a option. If you have any questions on how to boil them properly just ask.

Do not put them in a bucket of water overnight, you will drown the ones on the bottom. They need air. Instead put them in a sack or container where they can all get out of any water and keep them damp and cool. To purge them submerge them briefly in salt water, it will make them regurgitate. It's not neccessary, it's a option. If you have any questions on how to boil them properly just ask.
I'm always willing to try new things. When I bring the crawfish home and put them in bucket over night, usually several buckets, any that die get tossed in the garden. I really don't like the southern method of boiling in a spicy concoction, but prefer boiling in plain water. Maybe with a little salt is all. I like to pick all the meat and put on salads, dip in melted butter or cocktail sauce. The rest of the meat gets placed in zip lock baggies and frozen for later.

I'm always willing to try new things. When I bring the crawfish home and put them in bucket over night, usually several buckets, any that die get tossed in the garden. I really don't like the southern method of boiling in a spicy concoction, but prefer boiling in plain water. Maybe with a little salt is all. I like to pick all the meat and put on salads, dip in melted butter or cocktail sauce. The rest of the meat gets placed in zip lock baggies and frozen for later.
That's fine, a natural mild taste is good for how you eat them. I would suggest some salt and bay leaf for such a taste. I would only boil live crawfish. Try to keep as many alive as possible by giving them a means to get above the water.

Latest posts

Back