what are your prepping goals for the next year (or two)?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no they aint..we did our monthly shopping yesterday..1 LB hamburger.$5.29.and thats the lowest price they have..

exactly..and just think of how things will be,when cali has no more water for homes and businesses.and folks start heading east..

Beef is a real example of trickel down . Just talked to a guy who sold some calfs this week and he was happy happy happy . Talked to another who carried a steer to market this week and the same thing .

a neighbour here took 4 bull calves to market a few days ago..and he was happy to be rid of them..

Beef is a real example of trickel down . Just talked to a guy who sold some calfs this week and he was happy happy happy . Talked to another who carried a steer to market this week and the same thing .
I've heard a calf can get 1000.00 dollars now. I remember them for 3 to 4 hundred. Guess I'm not getting a cow anytime soon.

they're are fewer cattle in the USA than ever since the 1800s I heard
Could be true. The anti-meat industry has been very effective in getting their message out. Next spring we're going to buy a small herd of Scottish Highland cattle. The upfront cost will be high, but they produce excellent meat and can survive very well on the marginal mountain pasture that we have.

Thing I don't get is, I can often (waiting for sales) find decent cuts around $6 to $7 a pound in the grocery store (a reason I now go to specialty shops, where bulk allows a savings). Yet, hamburger is at $5 a pound. Why would I get hamburger (which used to be like $3 a pound), when I can get a steak for $1 more? I won't. Simple as that. Yet all it is, is the leftover meats from trimming, put in the grinder. Why so much? Doesn't make sense.

Thing I don't get is, I can often (waiting for sales) find decent cuts around $6 to $7 a pound in the grocery store (a reason I now go to specialty shops, where bulk allows a savings). Yet, hamburger is at $5 a pound. Why would I get hamburger (which used to be like $3 a pound), when I can get a steak for $1 more? I won't. Simple as that. Yet all it is, is the leftover meats from trimming, put in the grinder. Why so much? Doesn't make sense.
Are you kidding? Yes it's left over, almost scrap trimmings, mixed with fat, but in this country people are addicted to cheeseburgers! They charge so much because people are going to pay it. I actually just bought a one pound 'roll' of it a couple days ago, and had burgers and hotdogs on the grill. It's pretty rare that I buy either anymore, more due to health than price. My favorite is a sirloin steak, one inch thick, cooked medium on the grill. It's not the best cut, but has less fatty marbeling than the ribeye, and costs a little less. Damn, now I'm hungry again :).

Me too. I get ribeyes for the girls, because they like it really rare, but I'm fine with a decent sirloin, as is my son. I just ask him, quantity or quality? Bigger steak, or more expensive steak? He picks quantity every time, hehe.

I like cheeseburgers too, but not enough to pay almost steak prices. I'd rather (per pound) go with frozen, thaw them (hamburger patties), and season 'em up right first.

Me too. I get ribeyes for the girls, because they like it really rare, but I'm fine with a decent sirloin, as is my son. I just ask him, quantity or quality? Bigger steak, or more expensive steak? He picks quantity every time, hehe.

I like cheeseburgers too, but not enough to pay almost steak prices. I'd rather (per pound) go with frozen, thaw them (hamburger patties), and season 'em up right first.
I've got a 1" sirloin on my list for the grocery store tomorrow. I got one of those ceramic egg grills, (a green egg knockoff) and I'll try it out for the second time tomorrow. I used regular charcoal the first time and it wasn't a great start. I've never done the frozen patties before. Do they have additives in them, or are they just pre formed hamburger?

Depends on the brand. There's a local brand here, that is actually pretty good.

I just can't see spending the money on one of those ceramic grills. My gas grill is just fine, so just can't see the outlay, but good on you for having one! Is it really better? I usually use some soaked wood to get a nice smoky flavor, and no complaints.

Mostly, we grill steak, ribs, and chicken, and every once in a while, veggies.
I'd love to grill fish, but I'm the only one who likes it out of the 5 of us....

My goal is to see everything differently. Any space I have can be used.

I bought an atmospheric water generator.
I need to buy a battery bank, solar panels, and an inverter to be able to power it without the grid.

I need to work on meals in jars with my pressure canner. So I have to go to the store and buy whatever meat in on sale, and use Pinterest to find a recipe to make and pressure can it.
I'd like to have meals on the pantry shelf, meals stored at the bug out location, and some meals in the cooler in the trunk of the car, as part of my car emergency bag.

I'd like to see empty space as usable prepping area. I live in an apartment. I can buy grow lights and tomato hangers and see how indoor gardening can work.

So grow lights, gardening practice, solar panels and inverters, and some deep cycle batteries are what I've been reading about.

I spent 4 months reading about the atmospheric water generator, which was so expensive, and now I actually know how they work and what supplies I need, in case if ever breaks down 10 years from now.

sounds like that you have some good ideas and plans..keep up the good work

as for canning recipes go..there's quiet a few ppl here in dpf who do canning..in which im sure some will help you out on that,by sharing some recipes.

Depends on the brand. There's a local brand here, that is actually pretty good.

I just can't see spending the money on one of those ceramic grills. My gas grill is just fine, so just can't see the outlay, but good on you for having one! Is it really better? I usually use some soaked wood to get a nice smoky flavor, and no complaints.

Mostly, we grill steak, ribs, and chicken, and every once in a while, veggies.
I'd love to grill fish, but I'm the only one who likes it out of the 5 of us....
The only reason I got the ceramic grill is I got a great deal on it. There's no way I would have spent 700. On it. It was a display model in the store, and some kid was shaking it with his hand on the rim. Short version was the kid went to the ER with a couple broken fingers from the lid slamming down. After the lawsuit was settled, they put 120.00 on it to get it out of there. For that kind of money, it's worth it. The thing is a work of art, beautiful variegated greed. As far as cooking, the jury is still out. With regular charcoal it basically baked two steaks, never getting over 300 deg's. The directions said to use lump charcoal, which I have a bag of now. Supposedly you can get this thing up to 700 deg. Which Sears the steak quickly and seals in the juices. I'll let you know if it's works as stated. I will say one good thing with it. It creates a wind tunnel with adjustable openings openings at the top and bottom, so it's really easy to fan the coals and get it started quickly. I'd guess it's close to 300 lbs, so I paid for the delivery fee. :)
I like backups for backups, so this increased my options of cooking without power. I have a small grill that uses propane bottles, a regular gas grill on the deck, a spare one in the garage for when that one rusts apart (also got on clearance), a gas cooktop for the outdoor kitchen I hope to finish this summer, and I can always use the old standby of a grate I can prop up with stones. I have an axe and plenty of trees, so cooking is pretty well covered.
Speaking of veggies on the grill, I'll get to pick the first yellow squash of the season tonight. I slice longways about 3/8 of an inch thick, marinate in soy, pepper and garlic, and sear some grill lines into x patterns for appearance. Yum. I like zucchini on the grill better, but there still too small.

Yep, we usually use yellow squash, zucchini, peppers and onions, with a similar marinade. Damn yummy. (and everyone likes them, even non-veggie eaters).

Well, that one hurt. I just ordered the carboureator multi fuel conversion kit for the miller welder/generator. 267.00 total. It allows gasoline, natural gas or propane to be used. Hope it comes with good directions for the install :). I'm pretty good mechanically but am far from an engine mechanic. One way or another, I'll figure it out. If you hear a loud boom, then I won't be posting anymore!

Latest posts

Back