This Year's Harvest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I am so envious. I planted a few plants to see how they would do last year...too early to tell. I want some land!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I usually tell people that water is the number one prep you can do, and still feel it really is. I also feel that a piece of land is right up there with it though. A well thought out place that has water, is off the beaten path, somewhat defendable, and enough room to plant a good variety of edible stuff. The grapes really didn’t take too much space, and it is an area out front that has a power line going over it, so I wasn’t doing anything else with it anyways. I still have one good sized area that I have to mow now, about 2/3’s of an acre that I’m trying to think of something to plant there. I’ve pretty much filled most of the rest of the property with something that produces fruit.

My squash plants are all pretty much done now for the year and I have plenty of beans planted already. There are 3 regular pumpkins and two more pumpkin pie pumpkins that are almost done. When they are, I will pull those up. I pulled all the yellow squash, patty, & zucchini yesterday and fed them to the goats. I say out there for a little bit with them. Every time I petted on my buck he would just stop eating and enjoy the scratches behind the ears and horns. Have I said before how much I enjoy my goats?
I have hurt my left shoulder pretty bad and now going on a month of it hurting. Depending on its position it hurts or is tingley like pin needles and weak feeling. Life goes on though and you just gotta do at a slower pace. Always seems like the hottest time of the year is when it happens. The garden needs weeded badly but I am only trying to halfway keep up with it right now. Still getting southern beans out the wazoo along with eggplants and peppers are coming in descent now.
Oh yes and watermelon. I made more jelly and did some watermelon butter but I have decided that the butter is just too time consuming for what you actually get. Out of 1 big melon, I got 3 1/2 pints of butter. It is good and will do again, just not something I will do on a regular basis.

With the wet conditions this year, we are overrun with some type week I've never seen before. I pull them and boom they return. The are smothering my strawberry plants and I have cleaned the bed 3 times so far. Hopefully they won't return next year.

Since I have free range chickens, I don't use any poisons just elbow grease.

I not only have some dried blueberries, that was given me.but i also have 2LB'S 11oz's of frozen blueberries as well.i haven't learned my yardsale find dehydrator yet.so i'll be canning the frozen one's. And because of that.whats the best way for me to do that?

I not only have some dried blueberries, that was given me.but i also have 2LB'S 11oz's of frozen blueberries as well.i haven't learned my yardsale find dehydrator yet.so i'll be canning the frozen one's. And because of that.whats the best way for me to do that?

To can , I would process pints for 15 minutes and quarts 20 minutes on 10# pressure .

Some add a little sugar, but I always wait till I'm ready to eat before I sweeten.

The should make their own juice, but it's okay to add a little water if you like them really juicy.

Picked and squished grapes this morning, it was a smaller, late vine. Looks like about 3 gallons before water, probably get 5 or 6 good bottles out of it. I'm thinking of cracking open one of the last batch I made, 10 years old now, 3 bottles left.

Corn and beans are getting close. Corn needs to be a bit dryer, to save on gas. Cycled some of the bin dryers, and one won't go into it's second stage, so we need to figure that out. I'm honestly not sure what to do, they are electronic, and it's probably in the board, everything seems fine otherwise.

The guys at the BOL full time don't weed gardens. It's a mess.

Picked and squished grapes this morning, it was a smaller, late vine. Looks like about 3 gallons before water, probably get 5 or 6 good bottles out of it. I'm thinking of cracking open one of the last batch I made, 10 years old now, 3 bottles left.

Corn and beans are getting close. Corn needs to be a bit dryer, to save on gas. Cycled some of the bin dryers, and one won't go into it's second stage, so we need to figure that out. I'm honestly not sure what to do, they are electronic, and it's probably in the board, everything seems fine otherwise.

The guys at the BOL full time don't weed gardens. It's a mess.

I use the Henny Penny story for my kids. If you don't help grow the food, you don't eat the food. Of course, I don't follow that anymore since daughter is married.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to hear of anyone having a good tomato crop this year. It's disheartening when you put so much time and effort into your plants just to have a bad season that doesn't produce like you expect it to. Seems to happen every year. . . You will always have at least one fail of something due to mother nature.

I have yet to hear of anyone having a good tomato crop this year. It's disheartening when you put so much time and effort into your plants just to have a bad season that doesn't produce like you expect it to. Seems to happen every year. . . You will always have at least one fail of something due to mother nature.

Seems to have been bad everywhere

Last edited by a moderator:
It ended up 4 quarts and 1 pint. I collected lots of seed for next year though
I am collecting the last of my spring garden, and have lots of purple hull peas and Lima’s. They always seem to do really well. I also collected cuke and pepper seeds as well. My experimental late summer cakes are blooming and the radishes are growing... wait and see on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since we didn't have a Spring, my cold crops went straight to seed. I'm going to plant some snow peas, lettuce, spinach, kale and radishes soon. It's over 90° her today, so I'm going to wait a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back