This Year's Harvest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You never know how the season is going to be, wet or dry. We had a wet summer last year and this year. 2016 had one dry spell. I knew an old timer that had some sort of beans she brought from her old homestead she just dried then whole, then shelled and cooked the beans later. Seemed to work for her but they looked funny. the outside looked like spotty, dried mold? But the beans inside were good.
Yeah, I had already found out in the past that if you don't stir them up on occasion they will turn spotty. It's when they are damp and spotty that you really have to worry about. Been there and done that. Over the years you learn what to look for.
@robinjopo , I tried threading peppers on a string before we got the dehydrator years ago and hung them up on the inside by windows. They dried for the most part but where they touched on the string. I learned that you have to place little knits so that they didn't touch at all.

Last edited:
About all I have left in the greenhouse are tomatoes and carrots. There are loads of tomatoes still, but if I don’t get them picked ASAP they will start to turn bad. Our big diesel truck broke down last night so was out pretty late getting it to a shop. There’s always something competing for the time each day.
since you are limited with your time right now and have freezer room, I would bag them and throw in. It will also help with skin removal once thawed out. Just a suggestion.

Our garden did great this year in spite of the big hail storm in early June. The orchard, grapes and strawberries didn't produce. The dog picked and ate the only 2 apples that survived. But the raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes, hot peppers, corn, potatoes, onions, beans, peas and everything else did great. I made 4 quarts of hot salsa yesterday.
It's supposed to get down to the mid 20's next week so we may not get any watermelon.

Our garden did great this year in spite of the big hail storm in early June. The orchard, grapes and strawberries didn't produce. The dog picked and ate the only 2 apples that survived. But the raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes, hot peppers, corn, potatoes, onions, beans, peas and everything else did great. I made 4 quarts of hot salsa yesterday.
It's supposed to get down to the mid 20's next week so we may not get any watermelon.

I'm old and don't remember, do you have a greenhouse or hoop house to extend the season?

I had a small greenhouse but her in Tennessee we go from Wi her to Summer in a two week period. No Spring at all.

It helps to start seed, but that's about it. I usually do that upstairs with grow lights.
Yep, I have a small green house, also, and it sometimes helps with winter crops, but mostly for seed starting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a small greenhouse but her in Tennessee we go from Wi her to Summer in a two week period. No Spring at all.

It helps to start seed, but that's about it. I usually do that upstairs with grow lights.
I'm putting in about a 20×40 root cellar under the new house. There should be plenty of room for setting up an area with a grow light for starting new seeds.

since you are limited with your time right now and have freezer room, I would bag them and throw in. It will also help with skin removal once thawed out. Just a suggestion.
Thanks, I’ve never tried freezing them before. I definitely let more than I should have go bad on the vine, but did manage to give some away and canned a couple cases too.

I am trying something new to me...making muscadine wine...started yesterday, wish me luck!

I thought I was going to poison myself the first time I made a batch! It is easier than most think to make a decent tasting wine. I have 5 5 gallon batches going right now from the Concorde grapes, and the muscadine aren’t ripe just yet.

I thought I was going to poison myself the first time I made a batch! It is easier than most think to make a decent tasting wine. I have 5 5 gallon batches going right now from the Concorde grapes, and the muscadine aren’t ripe just yet.
I bought my muscadines locally, the guy only had frozen in quantity (for me, 5 gallons). From what I read, frozen is better because they are easier to mash. I just added the yeast yesterday. Do you use plastic or glass for racking?

I bought my muscadines locally, the guy only had frozen in quantity (for me, 5 gallons). From what I read, frozen is better because they are easier to mash. I just added the yeast yesterday. Do you use plastic or glass for racking?

I have both, plastic and glass. The glass is more cleanable but is a lot heavier. With the plastic bottles I just exchange them for a new 5 gallons of water fairly often. I use both frozen and fresh grapes and there is no taste difference at all. What kind of yeast did you use?

I have both, plastic and glass. The glass is more cleanable but is a lot heavier. With the plastic bottles I just exchange them for a new 5 gallons of water fairly often. I use both frozen and fresh grapes and there is no taste difference at all. What kind of yeast did you use?
Lalvin EC1118 dried wine yeast.

Lalvin EC1118 dried wine yeast.

That’s my number one yeast. It’s buy far the best for beginners as it’s sturdy, produces high alcohol and is simple. There are lots of specialty ones that require precise temperature control or PH. I like to think of each batch as a science experiment with great benefits at the end! I posted a lot on winemaking on an old thread here. I think I’ve been doing it for about six years or so now. The grapes I planted, about 100 vines, are producing way more than I can possibly drink now. I’m filling the root cellar and give away lots for gifts.

That’s my number one yeast. It’s buy far the best for beginners as it’s sturdy, produces high alcohol and is simple. There are lots of specialty ones that require precise temperature control or PH. I like to think of each batch as a science experiment with great benefits at the end! I posted a lot on winemaking on an old thread here. I think I’ve been doing it for about six years or so now. The grapes I planted, about 100 vines, are producing way more than I can possibly drink now. I’m filling the root cellar and give away lots for gifts.
Wow, I am so envious. I planted a few plants to see how they would do last year...too early to tell. I want some land!!

Latest posts

Back