This Year's Harvest

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need to get on my garden, but seems that lately, I'm just fixing things as they break. This week was a real doozy. Riding Mower is making a racket and now won't start. Tractor won't shut off (have to choke the air supply to do it). Rains caved in part of the ceiling on the back porch. All kinds of crap. (luckily, I pretty much think I know what's wrong with the mower and tractor, just need the time and money to fix them now too).

Glad you at least got some kind of harvest robin. And brent, good to hear on your business!

When I do get around to the garden, it should do well. Hell, I've got grass trying to grow in my truck bed, just from the hay I haul in it!

I really need to get on my garden, but seems that lately, I'm just fixing things as they break. This week was a real doozy. Riding Mower is making a racket and now won't start. Tractor won't shut off (have to choke the air supply to do it). Rains caved in part of the ceiling on the back porch. All kinds of crap. (luckily, I pretty much think I know what's wrong with the mower and tractor, just need the time and money to fix them now too).

Glad you at least got some kind of harvest robin. And brent, good to hear on your business!

When I do get around to the garden, it should do well. Hell, I've got grass trying to grow in my truck bed, just from the hay I haul in it!

This is the first year that we have had a super prolific weed. It loves the rainy June and July we had. It seems that as soon as you pull them they come back 10 fold.

I'm so glad the wedding was last year, because the moles and weeds would have made it impossible to have everything looking like it did last year.

I buried soaker hoses in the ground down each roll with different timers per roll and mister above the garden over certain plants, the peppers and strawberries going to be the best harvest I have had. We've been pretty hot in the low to mid 90s with low humidity. I have wild flower growing all over the garden, they kinda my canary of the garden, if there are a problem they be first to let me know.
One of my top projects for next year is to set up an irrigation system for the garden and orchard. I'm thinking about putting a large water tank above the garden area and use gravity flow through soaker hoses and drip lines. This way I won't have to run the generator for the well pump as much. I'm also looking at drilling a new well between the house and the garden.

If grass was edible my garden would be a gold mine!

I made one of our guys work here at the house with me today. God awful hot all day, but we tore down two bays of a shed/carport and installed 8of the nine posts for rebuilding it. I hated to stop before setting the last post, but the 21yr old couldn’t do any more today..... it was rough in the heat. The shed had 8’ ceilings and we couldn’t park anything under it hardly. No the two bays I’m redoing will be 11’High so we can fit any of the work trucks under them. When these are done I will rebuild the other two as well. The fun never ends

I keep trying to load a picture of the sweet potatoes I dug up this morning but it keeps saying no can do, memory too low. Anyway, I hit 3 plants and got 17 sweet potatoes so looks like a pretty good harvest this year. I left the small tubulars in hopes for more. I really couldn't stay out too long this morning since moms special get together is tonight And i needed to get cleaned up, peppers drying, canning okra and patty squash along with cooking for tonight.

I keep trying to load a picture of the sweet potatoes I dug up this morning but it keeps saying no can do, memory too low. Anyway, I hit 3 plants and got 17 sweet potatoes so looks like a pretty good harvest this year. I left the small tubulars in hopes for more. I really couldn't stay out too long this morning since moms special get together is tonight And i needed to get cleaned up, peppers drying, canning okra and patty squash along with cooking for tonight.

What is Patty squash?

I actually had to water the gardens. But, I got my 1 tomato. I have 3 containers of sweet potatoes growing. No idea of no will have a harvest.

Last edited:
Keep your fingers crossed, I took your advice and planted some experiments. I even made a log of it to see what works and what doesn’t. First experiment is some cukes, green beans and Lima beans. They were my seeds from last year so I don’t have much to lose. It is supposed to rain next week so... we will see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep your fingers crossed, I took your advice and planted some experiments. I even made a log of it to see what works and what doesn’t. First experiment is some cukes, green beans and Lima beans. They were my seeds from last year so I don’t have much to lose. It is supposed to rain next week so... we will see!

I planted last week. Also, radishes only take 1 month

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep fall planting is right around the corner. . . .Just get me thru till September. Seems like I can only work from 6-930 most days in the morning then again from 6-830 in the evening outside with this humidity levels but at least we stayed below 100 today with a 99. Have no idea what the heat index was though.

IMG_20180801_103103_hdr.jpg
it's not much but at least it's something. Peppers get dried. Okra, & patty squash canned for frying later, zucchini made into a couple loaves of bread and pumpkin canned in chunks. Everything else will be eaten fresh

Latest posts

Back