This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah,congrats on the police academy and good luck with joining the local PD..

i'll be making my normal friday trip to town tomorrow..(if the weather permits)..and i figure that it's time for me to start collecting the buckets n lids that they throw away at the fast food places...

I was at Wally world today, and they had several things on clearance. There were two sawyer water filter bottles on sale from 27.00 to 12.00. I grabbed one, and two minutes later went back for the second, which was allready gone. Oh well, at least I got another water filter option. It's kind of a cheap looking plastic bottle, but says it can filter up to 100,000 gallons down to 0.1 microns. Not quite good enough for viruses but good for bacteria, and light and compact too. I have a ceramic filter berkey, but it's a pretty bulky thing to travel with. Anyways a good score for the bob.

Indeed, nice looking marker there Gaz.

Had a ton going on lately in my life, but I've made it a commitment to train with my armless dummy with all of my melee weapons at least twice a week and to go for a long walk with my wife 3 times a week, in addition to my normal conditioning workouts.

Just applied for an apartment that will be a step up for us so that's super exciting. Also decided that at the end of the summer I will be enrolling at the police academy and joining my local PD, God willing. I can't wait to be doing something I'm proud of every day instead of shoveling BBQ into dumb customers' mouths. When I was a little kid and my grandad asked me what I wanted to to when I grew up, I always said I wanted to be Batman. This will be as close as I can get :cool:
Good luck on the academy! It's a really good career choice if shtf, as they are the ones stocked with weapons! :)

i scored 5 buckets today..in which 3 are from DQ..no lids for any of them thoe.but no problem..i can get lids for them at walmart.i also scored 4 lil 1 time use tubes of super glue.there's 2 or 3 items that needs glueing.that'll take 1 lil tube.the remaining 3 will go into 1st aid kit.

You guys are too kind, really. I know none of us have ever met in person but it does mean a lot to get support from people who's opinions I respect. My parents have been trying to talk me out of it since I first mentioned the idea to them, but my wife is super proud and it's something I will be proud of too, and that's what's most important. With that being said, I do really appreciate yalls support.

Anyways, enough sappy stuff, on to doomsday! From a prepper standpoint this is an excellent career choice as the training, physical and otherwise, would certainly come in handy in any sort of emergency. Also I get a free pistol, shotgun, and patrol rifle issued to me upon being accepted at my local PD so that's pretty awesome and will save me some cash for sure, as well as provide me with the opportunity to do advanced weapon training. The shooting range I go to doesn't even let you work with a holster, much less run any tactical style drills. Obviously I will have responsibilities come any emergency situation but that's fine with me, I've always been the type to try and help those who can't help themselves.

Packing for the move to the new apartment has given me a good inventory of what we have and what we still need. Even though we're going from a rental house to an apartment, we're gaining space, so that solves some of the problems we've run into while assembling our preps; namely storage space. Also we're about to meet a lot of new folks and have a lot of new neighbors, so hopefully we'll find some like-minded individuals that we can form a little prepper group with.

You guys are too kind, really. I know none of us have ever met in person but it does mean a lot to get support from people who's opinions I respect. My parents have been trying to talk me out of it since I first mentioned the idea to them, but my wife is super proud and it's something I will be proud of too, and that's what's most important. With that being said, I do really appreciate yalls support.

Anyways, enough sappy stuff, on to doomsday! From a prepper standpoint this is an excellent career choice as the training, physical and otherwise, would certainly come in handy in any sort of emergency. Also I get a free pistol, shotgun, and patrol rifle issued to me upon being accepted at my local PD so that's pretty awesome and will save me some cash for sure, as well as provide me with the opportunity to do advanced weapon training. The shooting range I go to doesn't even let you work with a holster, much less run any tactical style drills. Obviously I will have responsibilities come any emergency situation but that's fine with me, I've always been the type to try and help those who can't help themselves.

Packing for the move to the new apartment has given me a good inventory of what we have and what we still need. Even though we're going from a rental house to an apartment, we're gaining space, so that solves some of the problems we've run into while assembling our preps; namely storage space. Also we're about to meet a lot of new folks and have a lot of new neighbors, so hopefully we'll find some like-minded individuals that we can form a little prepper group with.
I agree, with free guns and ammo and training, you cant beat it for developing your survival skills. My neighbors son became a local cop about three years ago. He's target practicing all the time, and its all supplied. I rarely shoot as I'd like to conserve what ammo I have considering what it costs. You'll also get medical training and loads of other great info to have.

From a prepper standpoint this is an excellent career choice

Not to mention, you're likely going to know about crap going down before we are, as you'll be mobilizing for it! LOL

last evening it was;mapping time,placed several new "bad-points" on my map,many of them biker-gang houses,temporary choke-points;road construction sites,places I saw while doing my ambulance training,and moved a lot of dry-goods to buckets.

My main goal for this weekend was to till and replant the greenhouse. I got everything planted, and well watered in. I put in spinache, carrots, onions, asparagus,artichokes,broccoli,zucchini,squash,tomatoes,peas,beets,green perppers,seranos, and jalapeños. It ought to look like a jungle in there before long. The outside garden still has kale growing and I put in some red potatoes, but the ground was too wet to finish tilling it. I have to till about the last third still. It feels so good to start another season. I'll take some of the plants that I thin out in the greenhouse and transplant to the garden when all chance of frost is gone.

This wasn't on my list just yet, but I got a gift today. I had bought an AR recently, and that pretty much ate up my prepping budget for a while. I was planning to add a scope, but it wasn't high on my list and would have been down the road. Anyways, I was given a nice scope, with no strings attached. I think it might be worth a case of muscadine wine :).
It looks pretty cool installed. I need to download a Manuel for it, and if I can ever afford some more ammo will site it in soon. Anyone know about where to mount it on the rail? I centered it for now, but really don't know what is best.
image.jpg

I got in a big reloading order from Graf & son reloading . Glad to get it but still cant find more pistol/small rifle powder . Going to click on the notify me icon on a couple of web sites , just as well pay the extra hazzardus shipping fees instead of driving 100 miles to see if some place has it .
Found CCI Stinger .22 LR hollow points at the local big box retailer . Got 3 box's

I got another gift for the AR today! A friend at work, ex military, found a govt issue AR cleaning kit, in a really nice black nylon bag, with scope cleaning stuff too. He also had a CD on how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the AR. I told him I was set for mods on it except for the sling, and he said he had trunks of extra stuff for it and would bring me one. It almost felt like Christmas. :). I should be able to swing another box of ammo next week, as I'm really dying to site in the scope and test this thing out for accuracy. The last time I shot an AR was in boot camp, and it was on qualifying day. I got 30 of 30 targets, and got to ride a chopper back to the barracks. Of course that was after 8 weeks of practice. I'll let you know how it goes this time.

Picked up 9 unopened cases of Ball pint canning jars with lid and bands for $5 a case of 12 at our local town & country store (spring sale) wish they had more plus they all out of the quart jars, I knew I should have stopped by earlier in the month.
I really like the pints, I don't get tired of eating the same thing for four nights in a row. I have a pretty good collection of jars and lids, but will always grab a deal on more. My first garden harvest a few years ago taught me the need for canning. I had loads of apples and other things that were just given away to keep from rotting. With all the produce coming ripe at the same time its really nice to be able to keep it tasting good all year. I just had some green beans for lunch, from last season, that still taste as fresh as the day I picked them. I've heard that you should really eat home canned foods within a year, but I have some apples that are a little over two and still make great tasting pies. I'm really excited at the prospect of finishing my root cellar to store stuff in. I should have it secured and shelving in it within a couple more weeks.

I really like the pints, I don't get tired of eating the same thing for four nights in a row. I have a pretty good collection of jars and lids, but will always grab a deal on more. My first garden harvest a few years ago taught me the need for canning. I had loads of apples and other things that were just given away to keep from rotting. With all the produce coming ripe at the same time its really nice to be able to keep it tasting good all year. I just had some green beans for lunch, from last season, that still taste as fresh as the day I picked them. I've heard that you should really eat home canned foods within a year, but I have some apples that are a little over two and still make great tasting pies. I'm really excited at the prospect of finishing my root cellar to store stuff in. I should have it secured and shelving in it within a couple more weeks.

One really can't have enough canning jars, I do prefer the pints over the quarts "I've heard that you should really eat home canned foods within a year" I'm in a world of hurt if that's the case :) generally for me low acid foods less then two years high acidic foods out to three years always been my rule, I generally only grow what I'm low on on the shelves. Though with just the two of us I don't do a whole lot of canning anymore.

Last edited:
One really can't have enough canning jars, I do prefer the pints over the quarts "I've heard that you should really eat home canned foods within a year" I'm in a world of hurt if that's the case :) generally for me low acid foods less then two years high acidic foods out to three years always been my rule, I generally only grow what I'm low on on the shelves. Though with just the two of us I don't do a whole lot of canning anymore.
I'm sure if times get tough you will stretch out use by dates, and a lot of other standards as well. I do know that it's an empowering feeling to know hat I've learned how to produce and preserve food. Five years ago I didn't know squat about growing or canning/smoking and dehydrating, but I've gotten better with practice each year. I know one thing for sure, I'm glad I started learning some of these skills now, before I needed to survive off them, as there was a learning curve in the beginning. (Meaning I sucked and would have starved to death)! :)

Went grocery shopping yesterday. We try to buy more than we will use every week and put some back. Little bit at a time over the past few years has built up a pretty decent pantry.

Loaded a bunch of 5.56 and some more .45. And started the mater plants in the basement. Should be ready to plant in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back