This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the bamboo I planted last week is going to make it . Most looks better than when I first planted it .

Since stored water is one of my top priorities from major holding tanks outside (1k gals) to having stored water inside (200gals)
We was out at the local food store getting spices and found bottled water on sale, case of 24 16.9 fl oz @ $1.04 per case so I picked up 20 cases for $20.80 giving me a little over of 63gal, the bottles and caps are BPA free (not that I overly trust plastics BPA free or not) with a two year best by date should last 3~5yrs stored thats 31.5 days for two people, for $20.80 I figured not bad.
View attachment 3506

They also had on sale top ramen (beef flavor) @ a $1.00 a case of 24, I picked up 15 cases for $15.00, not the best food choice but it works, just drain the juice after cooking and add powder eggs, powdered butter or add meat (any kind of eatable meat) to get a little more of a meal out of it.
View attachment 3507
I fry 1lb of hamburger, a med onion and drain. Fry some chopped cabbage in it and add a good bit of soy sauce, dump in the seasoning packet from a couple Raman noodle packs and stir in the boiled noodles. It's a ten minute dinner that I've had more compliments from than meals I've spent hours on! I call it the lazy mans beef lomain. Those little noodles are really flexible in lots of dishes. I wonder if anyone has ever made a Raman cookbook?

Just bought a recurve crossbow. Due to an arm injury I can't shoot a regular compound anymore. I picked up a Excalibur 355.
It's extremely accurate and as fast as the company claims. I like the fact I can change strings on it myself in the field if needed.
It's very user friendly. Now to stock up on a few strings and bolts (arrows). It's a great addition to my hunting gear and my preps!

Just bought a recurve crossbow. Due to an arm injury I can't shoot a regular compound anymore. I picked up a Excalibur 355.
It's extremely accurate and as fast as the company claims. I like the fact I can change strings on it myself in the field if needed.
It's very user friendly. Now to stock up on a few strings and bolts (arrows). It's a great addition to my hunting gear and my preps!
Send us a picture! I had posted that I just got a compound bow too, but due to a shoulder injury recently I got the medium pull one as I didn't want to stress the injury with the strongest one. Still haven't tried it but am excited to. I really like the idea of it being simple and repairable. Do you hunt or is this just for protection? Also, what is the bow made of?

Pumpkins are not comming along fast enough. If we are lucky we have 4 to 6 more frost free weeks. I dont think they are gonna b ripe till then. Lets hope the best.
uploadfromtaptalk1410689493624.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410689506435.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410689515743.jpg

Pumpkins are not comming along fast enough. If we are lucky we have 4 to 6 more frost free weeks. I dont think they are gonna b ripe till then. Lets hope the best.
View attachment 3537View attachment 3538View attachment 3539
I got about ten watermelons and 5 cantelope this year. None of the pumpkins survived. I did well with some things but it just wasn't a good year for melons. I have an are by the front creek that's low and moist, and would be a great area for them and other crops, but it's just too shady. If I drop any more trees my wife is going to drop me. Oh well, pick your battles. Maybey you could make some tents with clear plastic to give them a little more time?

The new dog is actually not new.... The breeder didn't want her anymore because she's done breeding. Yes, I called her a very colorful word.... we're going to make this work... I am confident that she will protect me.... everything we've talked about here influenced me into putting together a quick GHB to carry with me. ... I'd have to get through DC if SHTF while I was up there. Not a pleasant thought.... It will sit right where it's at as a BOB now.
And for prepping, this week, I've picked a ton of green beans that will be canned tomorrow. I planted my indoor medicinal herbs garden 4 days ago. ... Today is cheese and butter making day (again). I have multiple pounds of shredded mozzarella cheese and butter in the freezer and I haven't ordered cultures yet to make aged cheese. So, today I'm making the mozzarella into bite-sized balls, rolling them in Italian bread crumbs and will freeze them for quickie appetizers. I'll have a whole lot of canned tomato sauce soon as my beefsteak tomatoes have about 20 tomatoes started on each of my 30 plants, so I'm definitely making some of that into marinara sauce.
... time to get to work!

Your story about Faith made me smile. I always enjoy reading your posts. They're informative and often entertaining. :cool:

I've come down to Florida this week. It's interesting trying to "Prep-pack" and pack for entertainment. I ended up bringing the computer so I could catch up at the end of the day. It's been a great trip so far. My brother and I went to the Hunting and Fishing/ Outdoors Expo. I bought a fiberglass knife and brought one of my pistols down with 100 rds or so of ammo. Maybe I'll go shooting. Maybe I'll just check it and fly back home...

I was reading a post from @QuietH3art about making a trip to Maryland for her dog and taking a GHB... It's interesting doing that. I drove down this time but am flying home, so there are some things I'll leave behind, but those were all calculated in the pack, of course.

I've come down to Florida this week. It's interesting trying to "Prep-pack" and pack for entertainment. I ended up bringing the computer so I could catch up at the end of the day. It's been a great trip so far. My brother and I went to the Hunting and Fishing/ Outdoors Expo. I bought a fiberglass knife and brought one of my pistols down with 100 rds or so of ammo. Maybe I'll go shooting. Maybe I'll just check it and fly back home...

I was reading a post from @QuietH3art about making a trip to Maryland for her dog and taking a GHB... It's interesting doing that. I drove down this time but am flying home, so there are some things I'll leave behind, but those were all calculated in the pack, of course.
I travel alot differently now days. I try to plan for as much as I can to handle any emergency to keep going. One time I was comming up 75 to N. Ga., pulling a trailer. I was going down a gentle grade and saw a tire rolling past me. My stomache dropped when I realized it was one of mine. Luckily it didn't hit anyone! The lugs had come loose and ground all the studs off. I took a stud off the other three wheels and made it to a repair shop twenty miles down the road. Luckily I had packed a decent tool kit. Life has a way of throwing things at you, so I prep for any emergency. I hope your trip is only eventful in positive ways! be safe.

i had that happen to me once as well..lucky for me,the trailer had 2 axles.so there was still 1 tire on the side that the other tire came off of..its starnge how a tire will bounce and roll futher then a person thinks it will..that tire must of gone 200/300 feet from the road if i remember right...

Not really prepping related but im starting to use some of my "specialities" from the freezer to get it empty for the move.

Baby back ribs, smoked in hickory. Served with self made whole grain garlic butter bread.

I also smoked two filet sticks.

Wild turkey on the rocks in the glas!

Dayummmm!

Enjoy life while its good:

uploadfromtaptalk1410710068075.jpg

Two and a half hours later:

uploadfromtaptalk1410710100027.jpg

Oh yeah!

uploadfromtaptalk1410710118409.jpg

I am so jealous of your peppers, Maverick. I have six huge pepper plants and I have gotten zero peppers off of them.
On the positive side, a month ago, I planted pinto bean sprouts because I didn't like the taste of the sprouts. But, I love pinto beans. I will be picking beans off of those plants within the week now. I can't believe how fast they grew.

he's coming to the US from Germany soon and we are lucky to have him here.

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.
We indeed are moving to the states. For my wife it will be a move home to america, for me a whole new adventure. The next couple months are going to be crazy. Our container is already gone, my last semester college started, my last of four final exams will be two weeks before our move.
First final will be in the beginning of december, second a week later. Third at the end and the fourth (two day) exam will be mid of january. In the meantime im working fulltime as an hvac technician and have a toddler running around.
No time for laziness or boredom. Lol.

I am so jealous of your peppers, Maverick. I have six huge pepper plants and I have gotten zero peppers off of them.
On the positive side, a month ago, I planted pinto bean sprouts because I didn't like the taste of the sprouts. But, I love pinto beans. I will be picking beans off of those plants within the week now. I can't believe how fast they grew.

My peppers aren't always this full, the only difference this year is I used guano (bat shxt) as the fertilizer, I have about 20 bat houses, I don't get much from them so I purchase more from the local feed store, I'm not a 100% sure if it was the guano or the good weather maybe a combination of both never the less something worked for a change, I also changed from watering once a week to once every week and a half.

Not really prepping related but im starting to use some of my "specialities" from the freezer to get it empty for the move.

Baby back ribs, smoked in hickory. Served with self made whole grain garlic butter bread.

I also smoked two filet sticks.

Wild turkey on the rocks in the glas!

Dayummmm!

Enjoy life while its good:

View attachment 3544

Two and a half hours later:

View attachment 3545

Oh yeah!

View attachment 3546
With a plate like that, who needs vegetables!

My peppers aren't always this full, the only difference this year is I used guano (bat shxt) as the fertilizer, I have about 20 bat houses, I don't get much from them so I purchase more from the local feed store, I'm not a 100% sure if it was the guano or the good weather maybe a combination of both never the less something worked for a change, I also changed from watering once a week to once every week and a half.
I planted two types of peppers, bell and Serrano. The bells are producing great, and the seranos are just starting to produce. I have allready gotten enough seeds from the bells for next year, and have flash frozen enough of them to cook with over the next year. The peppers, tomatoes and okra are all that's left of the summer plants. I tilled and replanted everything else. I haven't tried bat guano, but the rabbit pellets and chicken manure are great too. I am still a novice at gardening, but am truly having a ball learning, and eating from it.

Latest posts

Back