This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got about a dozen more food grade buckets from the local grocery stores, that I'm going to clean out today to store more food.

Hey U.P you come use my range.... bring some xtra ammo, I'll provide the food.

That sounds great but I doubt the Warden (wife) will grant parole. I am on house arrest. Sure wish I could take advantage of your offer. Would be happy to bring the ammo. Got a lot of 9 mm, 223, and 7.62 x 39. Not quite as much in 6.5 Creedmoor. My hand loads cost twice as much as my factory stuff. Still trying to find out who makes Sellier & Bellots 156 grain 6.5 Creedmoor bullets.

Maybe add in a portable air compressr. . . . Might take awhile but still. Good thing that young man came along.

You can also get HD / Light Truck puncture repair / inflation aerosols, they are handy to keep in the truck. They usually contain a sealant and enough air to inflate a large Light truck tyre.
I've been thinking about getting a portable air compressor to keep in my car. I already keep a full-size spare tire rather than a "donut spare" commonly seen in sedans. I don't want to use the sealant flat repair stuff because I it voids the warranty on my tires (which I can get repaired for free right now, and have taken advantage of this before.)

I've been thinking about getting a portable air compressor to keep in my car. I already keep a full-size spare tire rather than a "donut spare" commonly seen in sedans. I don't want to use the sealant flat repair stuff because I it voids the warranty on my tires (which I can get repaired for free right now, and have taken advantage of this before.)
I wasn’t aware that slime voided a warranty? I know it makes a mess for the guy changing your tire though. I’m sure that had something to do with it. My advice is carry some anyways. You can always try to not have to use it but it would be there in a pinch. Just picture having two flats on a dark night in an unknown area after crime is getting worse. Hey, better yet, avoid those kinds of areas anyways! But do get the slime.

I wasn’t aware that slime voided a warranty? I know it makes a mess for the guy changing your tire though. I’m sure that had something to do with it. My advice is carry some anyways. You can always try to not have to use it but it would be there in a pinch. Just picture having two flats on a dark night in an unknown area after crime is getting worse. Hey, better yet, avoid those kinds of areas anyways! But do get the slime.

I know some tire repair replaces won't even repair or replace a tire if fix-a-flat was used, some charge 2 to 3 times the price for repairs.

One can pick up a good pneumatic tire changing station for a thousand or less, for a little more you can get one with a balancer. I picked up a used commercial station and balancer for $800 a few years back (make sure you have a good compressor)

For punctures you can do the same thing the tire shop does, using just a cheap repair kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K
41xjVQvErTL._AC_.jpg

Today was a productive day. Got 14 posts in the ground. The last 2 posts I put in almost 4 feet deep, only 1 was in rock. Tomorrow I'll level the chute and bolt it to the posts, then start bolting the rails to the rest of the posts. I'll need to order another load of 2x10's tomorrow. Might as well order a couple hundred more fence posts too. The wife added another project to my list. She wants a special fenced pasture in the valley below the house for her mini donkeys. And they'll need a mini barn too of course. I marked out an area of about 10 acres for them. Thats enough room to hold a couple horses too.

I like this better than the slime stuff. I need to learn how to use one of these. I know the basic concept but I've never actually done it.
  • First you get the nail out.
  • Then use the top tool to clean out the hole. Just poke it in and out while twisting a few times.
  • Then you put a rubber strip in the slot in the bottom tool and cover the strip good with rubber cement.
  • Poke the tool into the hole until about a half inch of strip is still outside the tire. It doesn't have to be exact.
  • Twist the tool while pulling out to unseat the strip from the slot.
  • Let it dry a few minutes and cut off the strip flush with the tread. If you don't have anything to cut it with, don't worry about it. It will wear down.
  • Pump up the tire and drive away.

• First you get the nail out.
  • Then use the top tool to clean out the hole. Just poke it in and out while twisting a few times.
  • Then you put a rubber strip in the slot in the bottom tool and cover the strip good with rubber cement.
  • Poke the tool into the hole until about a half inch of strip is still outside the tire. It doesn't have to be exact.
  • Twist the tool while pulling out to unseat the strip from the slot.
  • Let it dry a few minutes and cut off the strip flush with the tread. If you don't have anything to cut it with, don't worry about it. It will wear down.
  • Pump up the tire and drive away.
With today’s car’s capability of driving so fast I don’t recommend just leaving the tire plugged long term. Many do though. It’s safer to have a tire shop patch the tire from the inside later on when you get a chance. When I was young I drove long term on plugs but if a tire blows at highway speeds it can be dangerous.

It's also a good idea keeping a high torq cordless impact wrench in the truck or car, when ever we go on long drives, hunting etc.. we carry a Mac cordless impact wrench even for our quads, it also works great for lowering the tire down from under the bed of the truck.
Agree and I've also added a drill shaped cordless 18 volt tyre inflator pump to my van.

So today I spent some time improving my opsec by dismantling the give away 18 ft tall CB whip antenna from the garden and replaced it with a DIY Wire Horizonal Di-pole in the loft, lost a bit of range but the bloody whip was just to obvious towering over the house. I also relocated the much smaller PMR 446MHz vertical dipole to another position to be less visible from the street.

So at least I now have access to AM / FM and SSB CB bands UK, EU, US and Russsia, plus PMR 446 short range comms.

I learned about the tool when I got a flat on a brand new tire and the tire shop said they could not repair it, due to liability reasons. Fixed at home, worked great, lasted as long as I had the car. Like most of my stuff, oldest son has it now, along with most of my tools.

Latest posts

Back