This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DlUxc7RXgAUf4IW.jpg

Yes it is, it was canned in April of this year
But how does it taste??? (I know that's certainly not the most important thing but I still think it is worth considering when stockpiling food. If it's so repulsive that you won't even touch it when you're starving, it wouldn't do you much good.)

I had them before, they are good. I shred it and put it in pan with the juices, pore BBQ sauce and cook it in the oven for 45 minutes at 300deg, drain it put it a toasted bread or hamburger bun or make a roast out of it, Wife likes it when I stir fry it in teriyaki sauce and mix it in stir fried rice. many ways to use it.

Yeah man, I get to go the Slovenia and Croatia often, getting the good coffee beans in green. Take them home and roast them yourself, that is fresh...But I bet Silent Earth is happy he got his coffee stacked up, too bad they don't make the same mistake with the price of petrol...

Number one item on my preps after water Doue Egbert coffee and Coffee mate, got about 20 KG in total now.

Did you know many scandinavians come over by ferry with large vans to go food and grocery shopping in NE England, they come from Danske and Norge to Newcastle, often in HUGE numbers in the run up to Christmas. Apparently a lot of our cash n carries are much cheaper than Scandi stores.
Definitely, When I make it to GB, always gotta go shopping for Aspirin, rather pay 20 pence there than € 6,00 in Germany. Bloody pharma-lobby, they have a monopoly on the sales of aspirin and have a 4000 % mark-up.

Definitely, When I make it to GB, always gotta go shopping for Aspirin, rather pay 20 pence there than € 6,00 in Germany. Bloody pharma-lobby, they have a monopoly on the sales of aspirin and have a 4000 % mark-up.
Asprin, Paracetamol and ibuprofen all cheap enough in the UK, I keep 200 of each.

One habit I still do at times is collect lint / fluff from the tumble drier and mix it with petrolium jelly / Vaseline and keep it in little tubes to use as fire starters for when I'm out in the woods.[/QUOTE)
Yes! Another idea, get a ball of Hemp or Sisal twine, melt the wax or vaseline, soak the twine and let it dry out again. Wrap in or tuck into a Zip-lock bag. Pull a bit off, wrap it around one of you pieces of tinder, size of a pencil, and light it up. BTW, ever started a fire with a pencil? Sharpen both ends, connect small alligator clips with a piece of wire to the clips and go with them to the positive and negatives of your battery. The lead (graphite) will carry electricity like a fuse, overheat and set the wooden rest of the pencil on fire, just lay it down, cover with other tinder and wood and then connect up the battery...

I got the water line patched yesterday and dug a new trench from the barn to the chicken coop. It's going to be nice to have water at the coop, no more frozen hoses or carrying buckets of water. I'll pick up the pipe, fittings and hydrant tomorrow. Got the generator shed at the pump house finished and built some new cattle feeders.
The weather has turned colder and we started getting snow at the end of September. A little earlier than normal so I've had to start feeding sooner than expected. At this rate I might run low on hay by spring.

I saw in a thread from 2013 that the question was raised: what have you done to prep this week...Maybe it is a good time to repeat the question and get a few new answers from some old readers.
I went to the local tire dealer and got a few kilos of old tire balancing weights to cast my own broadheads with. Not as hard as steel, harder that flintstone and quite cheap in the production besides the fun of making some really funny designs from the Elves, trolls and zombies series and games...GP

Working with sheet metal scissors or a metal jigsaw, good idea. I made two 4 inch throwing stars (shuriken) out of 2.5 mm thick sheet metal this way.
The tire weights are not really hard, but as a one-use and throw-away item, they will do the job and you can't beat the price. (free)

Working with sheet metal scissors or a metal jigsaw, good idea. I made two 4 inch throwing stars (shuriken) out of 2.5 mm thick sheet metal this way.
The tire weights are not really hard, but as a one-use and throw-away item, they will do the job and you can't beat the price. (free)
I always adhere to the saying "use what you can when its available to get to a place and point in time when it is not".

Like Survival rule # 2: better to have it and not need it, as need it and not have it.

Survival rule #1: Never waste more energy to get food, that you will get out of it.
Rule # 3: Always take what you get, a neglected opportunity never comes again.
#4: If you do not have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again.
#5: Never ASSUME anything, you make an ### out of U and ME.
#6: Only trust those objects you have tested yourself and proved, only trust persons the same way.
#7: Never forget to say thank you if given something, the giver will otherwise forget you.
#8: Anybody can kill someone/something, only a true leader knows when to spare a life.
#9: Do not be afraid to do the necessary, many lives depend on a good person to do the right thing.
#10: Be ready to die or kill for that which is intended to preserve your life. Your family needs you.

Live free, Gary

Latest posts

Back