This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mavs post above inspired me to get two extra magazines today. Not a big prep, but it’s probably smart to have at least two mags for each firearm. I will say that while at the counter it was really hard to resist the urge to get the stainless ruger target pistol I was eyeballing. I have enough toys already.

I have a few new ones myself. I was pretty tempted to buy 1000 rounds instead of 500, but I already had a good bit.

The gun/pawn store had a LOT of really cool guns I’d love to have. I saw a long barreled 357 magnum in stainless I really liked. They liked it as well. It’s like an adult toy store,

They also had 9mm blemished rounds for 6 cents each as well. Looked like the blemish part was that the brass wasn’t shiny.

I have a few new ones myself. I was pretty tempted to buy 1000 rounds instead of 500, but I already had a good bit.

The gun/pawn store had a LOT of really cool guns I’d love to have. I saw a long barreled 357 magnum in stainless I really liked. They liked it as well. It’s like an adult toy store,

They also had 9mm blemished rounds for 6 cents each as well. Looked like the blemish part was that the brass wasn’t shiny.
Reloads are a good option for saving some money too. There is a huge company here in Ga that does reloading on a large scale. Georgia something or another..... I’ve targeted with lots of them and never had any issue.

just learned a small lesson;get some meds for eye infection,not that I have,but got a call from son who has,didn't like the feeling
when I couldn't help,in shtf it can be even more difficult.
There are many minor illnesses that we can cure with a simple trip to a pharmacy or walk in clinic today that would become major problems during an emergency.

Had a pretty good day today. Started at 5am. Got several projects worked on, cut some firewood to restock the supply for next winter, watered the greenhouse, even helped the kids hang kitchen cabinets in their new place. Ended up having a couple beers and now am content for the evening. It was just a good day overall.

We had a couple major snow storms last week that left us completely snowed in. I think one more day of work on the road and we should be able to get out.
I learned a few things that went well, and a couple areas that I need to improve on before the next disaster strikes.

Fuel. I had enough diesel for the main generator for about 3 more weeks of power for the cabin. But I am running low on fuel for the tractor. It'll be out of fuel later today. I never anticipated running the tractor for 10-12 hours a day for a week to clear the road. I'll be adding a 500 gallon diesel tank and a 500 gallon gasoline tank this summer.

Delineators. Doesn't really sound like a prep, but just finding the edge of the road was a real problem, especially while it was snowing hard. A lot of my road is cut in to a hill side on the edge of a canyon. And all of it is steep and narrow. The road drops almost 900 feet in elevation over 2 miles. No room for error.

Food. We were stocked up fairly well on frozen foods but are now running low. Another day and we'll be getting in to our canned food stock. This summer I'll bring up two chest freezers that we have in storage. One will be for food and the other will be for storing raw furs.

Canning. This summer the house will be completed and we should be set up for canning our own food. A root cellar is planed also.

Water. Our well has it's own dedicated gasoline electric start generator. Normally this generator starts up without any problems, until it gets below 10 degs. Below that I need heat the engine. This summer I'm going to add a new diesel unit with auto start that will be in a heated (by propane) enclosure.

Communications. Even on a good day I have very poor cell coverage here. During bad weather I have zero service. I need to figure out a reliable way to communicate with family.

Ok. I finally got my truck out today. Had to chain up all 4 wheels just to get down the road. Went to town and picked up some food, stopped at the bar for a couple beers, made a deal with a local rancher to buy some cattle and got diesel. The trip back home was a little touchy, but at least we didn't have to walk. More snow expected on Thursday. The wife goes back to work tomorrow so that'll be a 10 hour round trip to the airport. On the plus side I'll stop at Cabela's and look for a new Winchester or Ruger .243.

I never thought about grow lights before. Since we're on solar, electric is "free". A couple grow lights might be a good idea.
I like the way you think about crossing vodka with tomato. I'll have to do some experimentation on that.
I’ve had a good year so I think it is about time to go with a solar investment. I still don’t see the payoff really worth the reward, but it is more of a prepping thing anyways. As of now it is still cheaper to buy electricity than produce your own. I just started really looking into the options available to buy, and will at least save on the installation by doing it myself.
I would appreciate any input or knowledge that anyone here has learned about too. Arctic I would really appreciate if you would pm me with some pictures of your system and tell me what you like or dislike about your setup. I think I am going to try to start with a 10k system not connected to the grid, meaning a battery bank backup. I plan to stay on the grid, mostly for AC, but hope to learn to wean off it down the road.

Latest posts

Back