This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to put the shop construction on hold. It was a hard choice but we're quickly running out of summer here and I have too many other projects going on. Im still going to run water up to the house site and barn and install the septic and rock the road. I also need to start building the chicken coop and the corals for the cattle coming up next spring. Once I have the floor down for the coop I can work on it through the winter if necessary. All that's left to finish on the pump house is the roofing, insulation and adding a wall mount propane heater. Next week I'm going to start looking for a 26-28' travel trailer to live in for the winter.
Just remember, one step at a time. Each day I keep plugging along towards my goals. Eventually I reach them.

This is the newest addition to our little farm. . . . born on Thursday last weekView attachment 6023

View attachment 6024
At first I thought this little one was another bull calf, so the first couple days called him George cause I just didn't have a name picked out. Then on Saturday, I was out there and saw a tinkle and to my surprise it is a girl. . . Yep, I felt like a complete idiot!!! I have been waiting three for a little heifer calf since her momma is getting up in her years now. You can see Betsey in the background here and see how her udders look. . . that's about a 5 gallons a day milk makin machine!!
Sure is a cute little thing!

Just remember, one step at a time. Each day I keep plugging along towards my goals. Eventually I reach them.
Yep. But I knew that the shop couldn't be completed before it turned cold. We've already had some temps in the low 40's. At least this way I can focus on other projects and just buy a trailer to live in for the winter. With the shop I would've had to cut 8-10 cords of fire wood to make it through the winter. We'll resume construction on the shop and start the house next spring. The chicken coop, pig pen, rabbit barn and corrals I can build myself.

Ohmygosh DL they're a grand looking pair. So Georgina it is? LOL. It must be nice to have Betsey's genes in the next generation.

Well, we finished the sheathing on the steep roof today! Wish I never had to go on it again, but that's not the case yet. Either way, this was a goal we were reaching for. Yeah! I celebrated with three beers tonight.
image.jpeg

Yep. But I knew that the shop couldn't be completed before it turned cold. We've already had some temps in the low 40's. At least this way I can focus on other projects and just buy a trailer to live in for the winter. With the shop I would've had to cut 8-10 cords of fire wood to make it through the winter. We'll resume construction on the shop and start the house next spring. The chicken coop, pig pen, rabbit barn and corrals I can build myself.
I can't believe your allready thinking about winter! We are still scorching in the heat of the day here. I'm hoping it gets cooler over the next month.

I can't believe your allready thinking about winter! We are still scorching in the heat of the day here. I'm hoping it gets cooler over the next month.
Yesterday's high was 69 and this morning was 44. It's still pretty warm in the lower elevations but it cools off quick up here. A big part of summer is devoted to getting ready for winter. I'd prefer to cut my firewood during winter and Spring for use the following winter, but since we didn't get moved up here until April I haven't cut any wood. Too many other projects to get done first.

Ohmygosh DL they're a grand looking pair. So Georgina it is? LOL. It must be nice to have Betsey's genes in the next generation.
Thank you! I have waited three years for a little heifer calf. . . so yes am very excited!! A friend of mine up at works name it Georgia, but she really doesn't like animals of any kind but did have to tease her a little about using her name. New little one is Daisy Mae. Some of my animals get to have middle names. . . not all but some. Momma is Betsey Lou. Momma is getting up in age. . . . bought her three years ago from a guy who was using her as a nurse cow. Before that she was at a dairy.

Yesterday's high was 69 and this morning was 44. It's still pretty warm in the lower elevations but it cools off quick up here. A big part of summer is devoted to getting ready for winter. I'd prefer to cut my firewood during winter and Spring for use the following winter, but since we didn't get moved up here until April I haven't cut any wood. Too many other projects to get done first.
Wow, I'd be lighting a fire at night allready. I'm really looking fowards to cool nights. Last year I built a front porch and put the woodburning stove out there. It gets warm with the sun during daylight, and the stove keeps the whole house warm at night. I really enjoy having a cup of coffee early in the am next to a warm fire. I'm set for firewood this year, but will need to start collecting more over winter for next year.

Even in 'winter' I sit on the back porch in my long sleeve flannel and comfortably enjoy a cup of coffee with the dogs. . . there have been a few mornings that I have to put on a coat, but not the norm around here. It is a picture taking day when we see snow. . . usually just get a chill to the bone on the extreme

This one is done and dusted, went to the Kabar Cave, a shop in our towns local flea market on Saturday, the owner asked to see some of the things ive made so far, when he saw the stuff he placed two orders immediately and insisted that i leave one jacket for him to display at the shop and it all took about 3 minutes, so im a happy chappie with a lot of work ahead.
59a9ce3bbaa9ba8f29ad9d702369d054.jpg

e6280126135e032437e6c7af89773cbd.jpg

This one is done and dusted, went to the Kabar Cave, a shop in our towns local flea market on Saturday, the owner asked to see some of the things ive made so far, when he saw the stuff he placed two orders immediately and insisted that i leave one jacket for him to display at the shop and it all took about 3 minutes, so im a happy chappie with a lot of work ahead.
59a9ce3bbaa9ba8f29ad9d702369d054.jpg

e6280126135e032437e6c7af89773cbd.jpg
Really nice work there!

Wierd, that just popped up, delayed somehow. I woke at 03:30 this am. Yuk... I was beat yesterday so laid down at 7pm. I guess my body said enough rest this morning. I've always liked mornings as it gives you time to get together for the coming day.
Right now 10:10

Last edited:
Wierd, that just popped up, delayed somehow. I work at 03:30 this am. Yuk... I was beat yesterday so laid down at 7pm. I guess my body said enough rest this morning. I've always liked mornings as it gives you time to get together for the coming day.
We also had a very early start this morning at 03:00, wife had a nightmare, she had to meet the pope and the queen in the same day [emoji23], she couldnt fall asleep again, so i joined her, coffee and started working about 03:30, we usually go to bed at 10 pm and get up at 5 am. Agreed on the morning thing, when on "holiday" i try to catch the sunrise with coffee in hand and good company.

Had a great morning with family......we (me, wife, 3 daughters, & my dad [83 yrs. old]) went out to a friends field and picked black-eyed peas..... 4 bushel baskets, 2 5-gal. buckets, 2 5-gal. boxes, and 14 paper grocery bags all heaping full. Now to start shelling & canning. Gonna take a while. The picking only took a couple of hours, but this part will not likely go as quick.
Funny...this doesn't seem like a 'prepping' thing to me. It's just something we've always done. But I shore loves me some black-eyed peas and cornbread!

Well, we finally reached a point where it dosent matter if it rains or not now! I still need a moisture barrier on the eaves, but am pleased we reached a point that the weather won't hurt anything now. I seriously need a day off from this project!View attachment 6026
Just FYI, if anyone wants to build something like this. I thought that having a steep roof, to give more space upstairs, was smart. At least I thought it was until I realized that there is no walking on it! Hanging by ropes and custom built ladders/scaffolding really sucks! I will be really glad when this roof work is done.

Latest posts

Back