This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to seal the larger remaining cracks in the henhouse after some unknown varmint slipped through a crack seven feet off the ground that was four inches wide, took another hen, dragged her through the crack with a scattering of feathers left, two blood streaks on the roof outside above and a few more feathers, and no other trace left of the predator or the hen.

I tried to seal the larger remaining cracks in the henhouse after some unknown varmint slipped through a crack seven feet off the ground that was four inches wide, took another hen, dragged her through the crack with a scattering of feathers left, two blood streaks on the roof outside above and a few more feathers, and no other trace left of the predator or the hen.
You may need to set some traps around the hen house to catch the critters responsible. If you think its a weasel you can take a couple snap type rat traps and tack to the side of the coop and bait with some bloody liver. It could also be a possum. They are easy to catch in a box trap.

Polecat, Ferret, Weasel, Marten, Mink any of those buggers can climb and get through gaps like that as can rats.

Artic is right, go for killing the predator over trying to predator proof your house. A hungry, determined animal is usually only deterred by death.

i agree.the only way i see dealing with the predator,now that it's gotten a taste of the preys blood,is to take it out.on account.it'll keep coming back for more,as long as it's alive..

I used to raise pheasants at one time in a large enclosed area. I had netting covering the top of the whole area. One morning I saw where a coyote tried digging under the wire. A #3 Newhouse trap took care of him the next day. A few weeks later about a dozen pheasants were killed. Just the heads were taken. I couldn't figue out where the critter got in or what kind of critter it was. One morning I found a great horned owl in the pen surrounded by another dozen dead pheasants. Apparently he managed to get in a gap where the top netting connected to the side wire.
Our chicken coop was closer to the house. When I built the run I buried the wire about a foot deep. Never lost a single hen.

okay,how did you tell your closest family members that you prep and how did you "recruit" them ??
as my oldest son is moving in with me,I'd love to add him into this...

I go with the half inch mesh wire vs. chicken wire. Has worked great so far. I try not to have any gaps bigger than half inch. (otherwise, rats will get in and eat feed too)...

We got up our gazebo last weeked, with a new grill, and the new 22' pool up this weekend. Still filling the thing though (tried to not have it be all at once). I'll have to get pics once it's all filled, etc.

The pool will make a great backup water supply in addition to just being fun for the rest of the summer and even fall here.

This weekend, I'm going to build a platform and stairs to more easily get in and out of the pool (over a flimsy ladder). Eventually, I'll add more deck, but this is more manageable initially. Kind of like the one we did as a mounting platform for the horses in the barnyard. (lessons learned and all). I did a great trick for making it level and even more sturdy, that I'll use in this one too. (easier to show in a pic than explain). Then I guess we'll make a little walkway from the back door to the gazebo and the pool.

Just so glad that I've been able to stay on schedule for projects this month, even with some rain here and there. I'm usually having to scrap and move back things, but this has been a productive month, as the wife is more on board, and giving me the time to do it!

Next will be a nice bed of gravel on the outside of the pool (to make mowing easier), and stone slab flooring of the gazebo, and gravel/slab pathway to both from the back door. Will be great for little pool parties, especially when we convert the porch to full on ManCave.

Last edited:
Finally got it all filled up, over 11,300 gallons, hehe...man that took forever with a simple garden hose.
Still have to scrub the sides and some minor support adjustments, but 22' is more than enough room for all of us. First swim in it tonight! Yay!

pool1.jpg

Can see the round pen and main stables in the background. (My son is a lousy photographer). Here's the pump/filter setup though:

poolpump.jpg

I'll have to post some pics of the gazebo, and the lights, fan, grill setup, as I get them uploaded. Busy weekend, but productive.

I'm waiting on the garbage men this morning. We pay a service to pu once a week, but there's a 1 can rule. I'm planning to tip the guys as I have two overflowing cans out there right now, and that's been the norm for a few weeks now. I've been doing some spring cleaning around here, since spring.... It's amazing how much crap you can accumulate.

Yeah, part of the outgrowth of the whole backyard project, spring cleaning. I can now get the table off the porch, and out there under the gazebo, and start transforming the porch into the ManCave project. Of course, during all this, the wife has been buckling down on the yard work, mowing, weed whacking, etc. (she enjoys it, so I'll let her do it, lol).

Couldn't even swim in it last night though, as it was storming all night...though you can see how beautiful it was outside during the day, from the pics (but I was at work). The kids will be swimming all day today, while I'm at work...%#&*@.... :)

Each weekend has involved a lot of extra house cleaning, basically trying to get my daughter completely moved into her new room, and the shop transformed from a tack shop to a scrapbook crop room.

Sweet. Nothing like a 15 or 20 minute swim in the middle of the afternoon to cool off & beat the heat. I love when I get to do that. Was 108 degrees a couple of days ago, and gone over 100 for the last 7 or 8+ days. A friend ( and fellow prepper in our 'group' ) has a pool, so naturally......

Yeah, our "feels like" temp has been over 100 degrees for most of the week (when it isn't raining). Has made the work outside even tougher than usual (and a real need to stay hydrated....)

I rented a backhoe for a week to build a new shop on the back of the property. It's the absolute worst time of the year to do any building outside! I'm literally soaked after five minutes outside. Oh well, at least I'm able to get a lot of the projects I've had going on completed with the machine. I have a full size John deer backhoe to play with for a week, yeah! In Georgia we have clay, so you don't dig anything by hand here.

I feel you on that. Sand and clay here. Most of our digging is with post hole diggers, lol. Slow, but easier physically than shovels most of the time. Ended up with two of these diggers, so me and the boy can make short work of it, one right after the other.

clay here as well.but some,if not most of it here.is good for drainage,when it comes to field lines..but between the clay and tree roots..killer situation

Latest posts

Back