This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built the pad for the well house today. Its a little bit on a slope. May get the forms built tomorrow. Did some more excavating on the garage site. It'll be built somewhat in a hillside. The back and side walls will need about 5' of block work and the front will be level with the driveway.

There's always someone in the government trying to figure a way to seperate you from your money. I got fined 150.00 for cutting down a couple trees on my last house build. They said I didn't get a permit first. I remember in fla. a county worker told me anything over 50.00 needed a permit. Hell, you can't get someone to repainted a room for 50.00 .
This is why I live where I do; no permits required for anything ag related. And that covers everything but the house, which will need a building permit but that's no big deal here.

I narrowly averted a disaster here last night. When I was done with the pressure cooker I turned off the stovetop and slid the pot to the back of the stove. Then I took a glass of wine and headed off to bed. About two hours later I smelled something, almost good, but not. The pressure cooker hit one of the knobs just enough to turn it on high. Since the pot was in front of it I didn't see the indicator light for the burner. Anyways, by the time I realized it the cooker was almost out of water, but not quite luckily. If it had run dry it would have started to melt, at the least ruining the stove, and at worst catching the house on fire. The potatoes are really, really sterilized now, although a bit carmally colored. Oh well, the rooster will eat anything! So, the moral here, don't drink wine while cooking. If you do, then at least check your smoke detectors! Seriously, this just reminded me how quickly something small could disrupt our lives really easily.

This is why I live where I do; no permits required for anything ag related. And that covers everything but the house, which will need a building permit but that's no big deal here.
I think I've heard that any outbuilding here under 3500.00 dosent need a permit. We are in the country too. I have a feeling though that if asked they would say "why yes, that will be 65.00, thanks". Here it was pretty easy to build the house as well. I did my own drawings, which were very professional, and they were happy with them. In Fla. you had to have professional drawings in color. Another 700 to 1200 dollars. The inspector here looked at my electrical panel and signed the permit. I asked if he wanted to look at anything else and he said the panel was so neat that he didn't need to see anything else. I was pleasantly shocked. Really good guys here to work with.

Last edited:
Researched carry options for our communication equipment. Got the Speaker Mic for my Baofeng working, needed a bigger mic-hole and some better quality wiring.

Hoping to get the pool up during the 3 day weekend. We'll have to use the ladder for the time being, until I can build a mini-deck and steps....but would be nice to get it up and usable.

Also planning to get a new gas/charcoal combo grill, and little gazebo over it, as well as some patio stones under it. This will be pretty near the pool.

Soon after, we'll get a larger gazebo to cover up an outdoor table and chairs that will be by the pool. We want to try and enjoy it all this season. (and makes a killer backup water supply).

I narrowly averted a disaster here last night. When I was done with the pressure cooker I turned off the stovetop and slid the pot to the back of the stove. Then I took a glass of wine and headed off to bed. About two hours later I smelled something, almost good, but not. The pressure cooker hit one of the knobs just enough to turn it on high. Since the pot was in front of it I didn't see the indicator light for the burner. Anyways, by the time I realized it the cooker was almost out of water, but not quite luckily. If it had run dry it would have started to melt, at the least ruining the stove, and at worst catching the house on fire. The potatoes are really, really sterilized now, although a bit carmally colored. Oh well, the rooster will eat anything! So, the moral here, don't drink wine while cooking. If you do, then at least check your smoke detectors! Seriously, this just reminded me how quickly something small could disrupt our lives really easily.
Got the smoke detectors replaced throughout the house yesterday. Just in case.

Good thinking. I need to really go through and refresh my fire controls (smoke detectors and extinguishers).

our extinguishers are up to date. but we do need new smoke detectors thoe..
  1. Lowes had some battery only ones for 5.00 each. There better than none. If you have a few then the odds of at least one working is pretty good. The average price is about twenty each.

A month ago I bought a new 8750 watt generator to run my well pump. It was made in China but the price was right and I thought it would last a year or so until I get the solar system running. Big mistake. Whenever you buy China you usually buy twice. I knew better. First thing the 12 volt charging system quit working, then the idle control went out, then the volt meter quit working, the fuel tank doesn't vent properly so the engine dies. So today I ordered an American built generator. It costs twice as much but it will be worth it in the long run. I'm able to return the China junk but its a 300 mile round trip. The moral here is; Never buy made in China crap for anything that you really need to depend on.

only went and bought 500 rds of .22lr and made some small adjustments to my tent stove.

...and added a small bottle of scotch to my BOB.
A little luxury for the bag. Reasonably good antiseptic as well. Can't stand the stuff personally, but can't gripe as I like rotten fruit in my drink! By the way, I emptied 30 gallons of wine from the barrel today into 6 5 gallon jugs. I'm just about out of bottles, and this years grapes are looking great. I'm going to have to start throwing some parties or something.
image.jpeg

right,what should I do next? did my tent stove,fixed some cammo to my boonie hat,plate carrier done,might try on a water filter.. as I have a stainless steel tube left.

Heck of a post SHTF business you'd have there Brent!

It's something a lot of people don't consider. If you can provide a useful service or product (that requires you to stay ALIVE so it keeps coming), it's a good counter to roving bands of marauders, etc. Deals can be struck, and one could likely even prosper.

People have this fantasy of staving off a roving gang with a gunfight, etc. The reality is that such a confrontation is likely to end in some of your family getting killed. Granted, there may be no choice, but if you have something to bargain with, it's a better footing than a bloodbath. (Not to mention, such gangs could provide you with protection from OTHER such gangs, and/or trade with you for things they get in their travels.)

May not be the moral high road, and hopefully, I'd be trading with just other survivors, but one has to recognize the very real possibility of this situation.

Imagine if you will, post SHTF, a small military unit. Well-armed, even a couple of war vehicles from a nearby National Guard Armory, trained in tactics, etc. You could either fight them (and likely lose), or make a deal. If they raid you, it's a one time thing. If they trade, it's a resupply location and more of a guarantee. A smart leader would make a better decision (for everyone involved).

Last edited:
Heck of a post SHTF business you'd have there Brent!

It's something a lot of people don't consider. If you can provide a useful service or product (that requires you to stay ALIVE so it keeps coming), it's a good counter to roving bands of marauders, etc. Deals can be struck, and one could likely even prosper.

People have this fantasy of staving off a roving gang with a gunfight, etc. The reality is that such a confrontation is likely to end in some of your family getting killed. Granted, there may be no choice, but if you have something to bargain with, it's a better footing than a bloodbath. (Not to mention, such gangs could provide you with protection from OTHER such gangs, and/or trade with you for things they get in their travels.)

May not be the moral high road, and hopefully, I'd be trading with just other survivors, but one has to recognize the very real possibility of this situation.

Imagine if you will, post SHTF, a small military unit. Well-armed, even a couple of war vehicles from a nearby National Guard Armory, trained in tactics, etc. You could either fight them (and likely lose), or make a deal. If they raid you, it's a one time thing. If they trade, it's a resupply location and more of a guarantee. A smart leader would make a better decision (for everyone involved).
The moral high road can kiss my -ss when it comes to surviving. I agree with it being wise to know when to fight and when to give a little.

We've had three hens taken, two on one day and the third the next, through the same manner, apparently something climbed the fence without damaging it and hauled them up bodily with only a few drops of blood and a few feathers. Scarce feather trail out into the woods, but no corpses or parts recovered. What kind of animal am I dealing with, here?

Latest posts

Back