This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While back I was looking at 25 acres... turns out it had a gas/oil lease on it, so I passed. Yesterday, signed the paperwork for 15 acres. Now we have a bug out destination until we build on it.

Congrats!

I'm really great at starting projects, it's that completion thing that gets me! I actually do ok, but do have too many things going on at one time.

Yeah, me too. I still have wood and fencing sitting in the empty horse stall I want to convert to a bunny habitat. Just each weekend, seems something more pressing comes up lately (like minor roof repair, toilet repair, fence repair, ac repair, etc.). So, kind of takes me off the project. So far, nothing this weekend to hold me up from it, so keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see.

Same with the medicinal/culinary herb garden. I have the pond form, the lion fountain, plumbing, etc., but need to get the stones for the wall around the pond, and the bottom of the pond, as well as all the little plants. (just going to start with transplanted plants to make it easy.).

Congrats!

Yeah, me too. I still have wood and fencing sitting in the empty horse stall I want to convert to a bunny habitat. Just each weekend, seems something more pressing comes up lately (like minor roof repair, toilet repair, fence repair, ac repair, etc.). So, kind of takes me off the project. So far, nothing this weekend to hold me up from it, so keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see.

Same with the medicinal/culinary herb garden. I have the pond form, the lion fountain, plumbing, etc., but need to get the stones for the wall around the pond, and the bottom of the pond, as well as all the little plants. (just going to start with transplanted plants to make it easy.).
Yeah, life has a way of getting in the way of plans. Every once in a while I have an occasional emergency motorcycle ride. It's a great cure for I work too dammed much. As long as I'm moving fowards on something, I'm ok. I am certainly not getting as much done with this heat right now.

Don't count your chicks till your eggs have hatched. About two hours after Betsey had her calf, she got attacked by the bull. Yes, she gives off a scent saying she is in heat, but the bull knocked her down and was stomping her. . . like he wanted her dead. Hot shot taken to the bull to get him off and separated her and the babe out with a pasture between them. We have had calves before without a problem so this was a big surprise. This bull is the one that I am petting in my profile picture, which is daddy of the calf Norm. Her left side utters got tore up. The front utter was torn in one place and the back was just mangled. Her right side, I have been able to hook up to the milking machine, the left front side I have been milking by hand since she has been tender there. The back, well it has been mangled so other than doctoring. . . but when I hook her up to the machine and she hears that sound, the milk flows out so that is a good sign. She did loose some circulation and some of that utter has turned black so expecting it to fall off eventually. She is a real good mom still and stays with the baby even when Norm is trying to follow me cause he associates me with food.

Been shooting 100 arrows everyday since i got the bow. Im still trying to figgure everything out but its good to see improvement within that short amount of time.
Thats at 15yards from my deck.
Hope to get good enough for deer season this year.
uploadfromtaptalk1437526748835.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1437526767390.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1437526783950.jpg

Don't count your chicks till your eggs have hatched. About two hours after Betsey had her calf, she got attacked by the bull. Yes, she gives off a scent saying she is in heat, but the bull knocked her down and was stomping her. . . like he wanted her dead. Hot shot taken to the bull to get him off and separated her and the babe out with a pasture between them. We have had calves before without a problem so this was a big surprise. This bull is the one that I am petting in my profile picture, which is daddy of the calf Norm. Her left side utters got tore up. The front utter was torn in one place and the back was just mangled. Her right side, I have been able to hook up to the milking machine, the left front side I have been milking by hand since she has been tender there. The back, well it has been mangled so other than doctoring. . . but when I hook her up to the machine and she hears that sound, the milk flows out so that is a good sign. She did loose some circulation and some of that utter has turned black so expecting it to fall off eventually. She is a real good mom still and stays with the baby even when Norm is trying to follow me cause he associates me with food.
Having animals can be trying at times. Yes they can be unpredictable at times, but I'd still trust an angry bull or pit bull more than a lot of people in the world! Really glad Betsey is going to be ok. By the way, how do you stop a large angry bull? What is hot shot?

Been shooting 100 arrows everyday since i got the bow. Im still trying to figgure everything out but its good to see improvement within that short amount of time.
Thats at 15yards from my deck.
Hope to get good enough for deer season this year.
View attachment 4453
View attachment 4454
View attachment 4455
I was surprised at how much it hurt my two fingers! I started wearing a glove and it made a big difference. I'm ok on a fixed target, but am not sure I trust my accuracy on a live animal. Lots of practice is the only way to get there.

I was surprised at how much it hurt my two fingers! I started wearing a glove and it made a big difference. I'm ok on a fixed target, but am not sure I trust my accuracy on a live animal. Lots of practice is the only way to get there.
Before i even shot the bow, i went to a bow tech to have it checked out by him. I walked out with over 100$ worth of stuff. Including a wrist guard and a shooting glove. Best investments ever. Lol.

They say when your arrows stay within a paper plate you are good to go for white tail. I think the bigger thing is not to be too excited and nervous taking your shot. Beeing within 15 yards of a buck and try to stay calm enough to make a kill shot? I know im not ready for this.

Having animals can be trying at times. Yes they can be unpredictable at times, but I'd still trust an angry bull or pit bull more than a lot of people in the world! Really glad Betsey is going to be ok. By the way, how do you stop a large angry bull? What is hot shot?
A hot shot is a long stick thing with a trigger that sends an electric shock. Normally I carry a long staff when walking in their pasture cause the boys will run up to you to dance around. When you hold it up they back off and sometimes you have to hit them in the shin to move them back. My neighbor had just left our house after dinner and was driving his golf cart thru the cow pasture back to his house when he spotted the bull and he always carries a hot shot going thru thank goodness.

Before i even shot the bow, i went to a bow tech to have it checked out by him. I walked out with over 100$ worth of stuff. Including a wrist guard and a shooting glove. Best investments ever. Lol.

They say when your arrows stay within a paper plate you are good to go for white tail. I think the bigger thing is not to be too excited and nervous taking your shot. Beeing within 15 yards of a buck and try to stay calm enough to make a kill shot? I know im not ready for this.
It would be tough to stay calm! I'm always in awe when I'm close to any wild animal. I saw a coyote standing motionless on the side of the road a few days ago. It was just waiting for a chance to run across the highway. I know they are dangerous to small house pets and farm animals, but the thing was beautiful.

A hot shot is a long stick thing with a trigger that sends an electric shock. Normally I carry a long staff when walking in their pasture cause the boys will run up to you to dance around. When you hold it up they back off and sometimes you have to hit them in the shin to move them back. My neighbor had just left our house after dinner and was driving his golf cart thru the cow pasture back to his house when he spotted the bull and he always carries a hot shot going thru thank goodness.
It dosent seem safe to whack a 2000Lb animal with a stick! I guess we're lucky they aren't too smart, or they would be the top dog on the planet right now! I'm not sure I would ever go in the pasture without the hot shot if I was you. Even when raised with love and affection, it's still a big ### animal, and unpredictable.

Hey, when it comes to my milk cow I would have hit that bull with a stick in a heart beat! Normally I try to stay away from the bulls other than loving on them, but if it came down to that situation. . oh yeah! I have had to chase Charlie out of the corn before with a broom when hunny was not at home. The day after, I wasn't home due to jury duty. Had two bulls plus Elsie that got out and went into the garden to eat corn and he was by himself to get them back into the pasture. That was the day the fence finally got fixed!

My neihbor had Jersey milk cows . The cows were like big pets but the Jersey Bulls are hateful mean creatures . One of them nearly killed him . You could walk by thier fence and the Bull would stare at you start pawing dirt and throwing it up on his back and drooling then he would come after you .

My neihbor had Jersey milk cows . The cows were like big pets but the Jersey Bulls are hateful mean creatures . One of them nearly killed him . You could walk by thier fence and the Bull would stare at you start pawing dirt and throwing it up on his back and drooling then he would come after you .
I tend to stay away from 2000+pound animals with attitude!

well.my peppers and tomatoes are coming along real good.and as it turns out.my finger tips got damp from makeing the holes for the seeds.then of course.the seeds stuck to them.and now i have more tomato plants then what i planed on.so i got out there this morning and trans planted some of them,to another pot.
DSCN1272.JPG DSCN1273.JPG DSCN1274.JPG DSCN1275.JPG DSCN1276.JPG

it's about time to dress up in what I atleast think I will wear if I have to bug out,this time the whole nine yards..vest,pack and all...maybe I should take time to see how long it takes...

I asked hunny to put on my sprinkles in the garden tonight since he still had his boots on. . . .and he came back with a shirt load of cucumbers. My cucumber plants started to die back a few weeks ago and honestly they did very well this year. I cant tell you right now how many pickles, relish, and crocks I have made this year but it is well over a hundred so I think I am good. . . but yet it was dumped on my table. I have kosher, dill bread and butter and sweet pickles along with both dill and sweet relish. Any other ideas? I have been told you can fry them and others say shred for breads and cakes? Havent tried these yet

Finally got to organize some of my lures. I threw a good chunk of discolored or just no good anymore away and im still running out of room. A new box might be on my list in the near future.
Fishing might be more of a recreational thing for me but with the freezer full of walleye, bass, perch and pike it also counts as prepping for me...

uploadfromtaptalk1437874313810.jpg

I asked hunny to put on my sprinkles in the garden tonight since he still had his boots on. . . .and he came back with a shirt load of cucumbers. My cucumber plants started to die back a few weeks ago and honestly they did very well this year. I cant tell you right now how many pickles, relish, and crocks I have made this year but it is well over a hundred so I think I am good. . . but yet it was dumped on my table. I have kosher, dill bread and butter and sweet pickles along with both dill and sweet relish. Any other ideas? I have been told you can fry them and others say shred for breads and cakes? Havent tried these yet
I've heard of fried pickles but not raw Cukes. Who knows, you might invent a new favorite! I'm down to a few mis shaped yellow looking things, and will till soon. What are your sprinkles you put out?

Latest posts

Back