No support from spouse

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some people just don't want to know, they think life will go on as it is for ever and ever, but that's just silly.

They are right, it does go on day after day after day. Until it doesn't. But this is like trying to explain to a 20 year-old to start saving for retirement. Not going to happen.

I don't try to convince anyone of anything any more. They make their choice. They will reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of those choices. I won't shake a finger at them if SHTF. There will be those that I take in, and there will be those that look down the wrong end of a barrel if they come knocking. Actions (or lack thereof) have consequences, and sometimes those consequences suck. I can't save the world and it will kill me if I tried. I have no apologies for trying to save my little part of it and not giving away the precious little I have if SHTF.

They are right, it does go on day after day after day. Until it doesn't. But this is like trying to explain to a 20 year-old to start saving for retirement. Not going to happen.

I don't try to convince anyone of anything any more. They make their choice. They will reap the benefits or suffer the consequences of those choices. I won't shake a finger at them if SHTF. There will be those that I take in, and there will be those that look down the wrong end of a barrel if they come knocking. Actions (or lack thereof) have consequences, and sometimes those consequences suck. I can't save the world and it will kill me if I tried. I have no apologies for trying to save my little part of it and not giving away the precious little I have if SHTF.
I'm going to have to remember this way of thinking after SHTF.

I'd like to weigh in on this with a few points that may be relevant, as my live-in girlfriend has issues with some of my prepping prioroties.

She is very orderly and organized, and she doesn't like clutter, and--as part of her cultural background--she's very thrifty, and can't stand spending extra money when she doesn't have to.

It rubs her the wrong way when she sees me "hoarding" canned food, bottled water, and so on. We live in a small duplex, so space is at a premium.

So, even though we disagree about certian things, I acknowledge the validity of her points. She has issues with hoarding food when we live in South Florida (in the tropics), so pests are a problem. She gets nervous about propane cannisters on the property (I was a paramedic, and she's a nurse.....and we've both treated people who were burned in propane explosions), and so on.

So, maybe you can reach common ground by acknowledging his objections and issues, and try to see the situation from his point of view.

Be ready to compromise. If money is the concern, there are a million and one ways a person can prep on a shoestring.

If space is at a preminum, put the bulk of your prep stuff in a storage area with 24 hour access in easily moved containers...to be retrieved when things start to go sideways.

If he doesn't get the realities of the fragile nature of American infrastructure, then talk him into talking free classes and becoming Red Cross volunteers (as a couple, and suggest it as a bonding experience), and work in the aftermath of a few disasters.

Above all, remember that you two love each other....and as long as you have each other, then everything else is icing on the cake.

I'd like to weigh in on this with a few points that may be relevant, as my live-in girlfriend has issues with some of my prepping prioroties.

She is very orderly and organized, and she doesn't like clutter, and--as part of her cultural background--she's very thrifty, and can't stand spending extra money when she doesn't have to.

It rubs her the wrong way when she sees me "hoarding" canned food, bottled water, and so on. We live in a small duplex, so space is at a premium.

So, even though we disagree about certian things, I acknowledge the validity of her points. She has issues with hoarding food when we live in South Florida (in the tropics), so pests are a problem. She gets nervous about propane cannisters on the property (I was a paramedic, and she's a nurse.....and we've both treated people who were burned in propane explosions), and so on.

So, maybe you can reach common ground by acknowledging his objections and issues, and try to see the situation from his point of view.

Be ready to compromise. If money is the concern, there are a million and one ways a person can prep on a shoestring.

If space is at a preminum, put the bulk of your prep stuff in a storage area with 24 hour access in easily moved containers...to be retrieved when things start to go sideways.

If he doesn't get the realities of the fragile nature of American infrastructure, then talk him into talking free classes and becoming Red Cross volunteers (as a couple, and suggest it as a bonding experience), and work in the aftermath of a few disasters.

Above all, remember that you two love each other....and as long as you have each other, then everything else is icing on the cake.
Thank you for this insight. My husband doesn't have an issue with money, or the space. And we both agree the politics have us balancing on the edge of a knife, and we could slide at any time. He just figures that 1, I'm already preparing for the minor possible catastrophes, and 2, if it's his time to go, nothing he does is going to make any difference.
I'm not sure about volunteering for ARC will change that kind of outlook, but I suppose anything is worth a shot.

I was on a Red Cross Disaster Action Team. Yes it is an eye opener! And probably one of the major reasons I am a prepper now.

I saw a whole county get cut off from the rest of the world after Hurricane Frederic. Communications towers all down, no power, no water, all roads impassible due to fallen trees. The only way in or out at first was by helicopter. I was the first person from the outside to get into the county seat when the roads were opened.

People just don't realize how quickly their whole world can be turned upside down.

Thank you for this insight. My husband doesn't have an issue with money, or the space. And we both agree the politics have us balancing on the edge of a knife, and we could slide at any time. He just figures that 1, I'm already preparing for the minor possible catastrophes, and 2, if it's his time to go, nothing he does is going to make any difference.
I'm not sure about volunteering for ARC will change that kind of outlook, but I suppose anything is worth a shot.
As far as his fatalistic outlook about it being "his time to go", try to portray prepping as being similar to having home insurance.

No one wants to believe that their homes will be destroyed, but we buy insurance anyway.

Prepping is the same thing.

My hubby thinks it's "cute" and doesn't stand in my way. More than once we've had to rely on some of my little preps. Power outage, minor emergencies, cash I had stashed away, etc. I want to get more into it, and slowly, by example, he is seeing the benefit. I try not to preach to anyone, just do what I can do, and show the benefit when something inevitably happens. Works for me, so far.

I thought it was funny a few years back when my parents called concerned when a snow and ice storm was coming. Was single and lived some miles from them, and would I be alright with a power outage and do I need to come stay with them. I tried to convince them I was fine so they started throwing questions at me. Every thing they threw at me I was already prepared for. Heat, had a camping propane heater with plenty of propane refills. Food, had plenty and didn't need to get out. Way to cook it, camping butane stove with plenty of refills. Radio for updates, battery power with more batteries. What if your phone dies? Had a battery charger already charged. Water? Had gallons already stored. When they couldn't think of anything else, my mom blurted out "well what if you get bored?", I had plenty of books. No, I had no need to have to get out in this weather. They finally conceded I was better prepared than they were and said if they needed anything they were coming to my house. It was a great feeling. Yeah, that example was only for a power outage (that never actually happened) to last just a few days and I need to prepare for longer scenarios, but having just that little start of prep sure took some anxiety out of the situation.

Small preps help but they may not thank you for it. This winter I put a small shovel in to boot (trunk for the Americans) of the car as a backup. The girlfriend went in to a pile of snow in a ditch 2 days later. Apparently I caused the crash by tempting fate and buying a shovel.

My hubby thinks it's "cute" and doesn't stand in my way. More than once we've had to rely on some of my little preps. Power outage, minor emergencies, cash I had stashed away, etc. I want to get more into it, and slowly, by example, he is seeing the benefit. I try not to preach to anyone, just do what I can do, and show the benefit when something inevitably happens. Works for me, so far.

I thought it was funny a few years back when my parents called concerned when a snow and ice storm was coming. Was single and lived some miles from them, and would I be alright with a power outage and do I need to come stay with them. I tried to convince them I was fine so they started throwing questions at me. Every thing they threw at me I was already prepared for. Heat, had a camping propane heater with plenty of propane refills. Food, had plenty and didn't need to get out. Way to cook it, camping butane stove with plenty of refills. Radio for updates, battery power with more batteries. What if your phone dies? Had a battery charger already charged. Water? Had gallons already stored. When they couldn't think of anything else, my mom blurted out "well what if you get bored?", I had plenty of books. No, I had no need to have to get out in this weather. They finally conceded I was better prepared than they were and said if they needed anything they were coming to my house. It was a great feeling. Yeah, that example was only for a power outage (that never actually happened) to last just a few days and I need to prepare for longer scenarios, but having just that little start of prep sure took some anxiety out of the situation.
I agree 100%.

We have hurricanes down here in South Florida, and being prepared is important.

Shelves in supermarkets get stripped quickly, and it's not uncommon for panicky people to pull knives over the last bottle of water on the shelf.

Being prepared beforehand saves me the aggravation and nonsense of waiting in huge lines, price gouging, etc..

Small preps help but they may not thank you for it. This winter I put a small shovel in to boot (trunk for the Americans) of the car as a backup. The girlfriend went in to a pile of snow in a ditch 2 days later. Apparently I caused the crash by tempting fate and buying a shovel.
that's a good one!! typical head in the sand(or was it snow?) attitude:D

Does this girl carry a spare tire and a jack? She'll tempt fate into giving her a flat!
I often point out to people that we all (or the vast majority) prep for little emergencies - a spare tire, a first aid kit, an extra shirt, etc. I just want to be prepared for something worse, because if we read the news, we know it's possible.

Latest posts

Back