Resources of the Southern Fields and Forests

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Dr. Francis Porcher was asked by the Surgeon General of the Confederate States of America to research medicinal plants that grew in the South. He was concerned about the availability of commercial medicines during the war.
Porcher had published a number of papers and books on the subject. In this book he included what ailments they were useful in treating, when to harvest them, and how to prepare tinctures, teas, salves, etc. He also included information about edibility and things like various coffee substitutes.
The book is available in print only. I ordered one from Amazon. It is 750 pages of fine print...a ton of information.
MedicinalPlantsoftheSouth.png

Anything that old is in the public domain doc.
https://archive.org/details/resourcesofsouthporc
https://archive.org/download/resourcesofsouth00porc/resourcesofsouth00porc_bw.pdf

If you want more modern stuff, well that's available too...
I know, I have a lot of classic books on my computer that I downloaded.
But for a reference manual this critical, I wanted a "hard copy" in print for the future. Way way way too long to print out on my printer!
But the downloaded book is useful right now, so thanks for the link!

There is also a link to an OCR text version on the National Library of Medicine.

I know, I have a lot of classic books on my computer that I downloaded.
But for a reference manual this critical, I wanted a "hard copy" in print for the future. Way way way too long to print out on my printer!
But the downloaded book is useful right now, so thanks for the link!

Long ago I gave up printing them out in total. If I read one now I just print out the odd page that I think may be important. I must have 1000 books I haven't read, that's just the way it is hey.

If you want more modern stuff, well that's available too...
Problem with the "modern stuff" is that much information about traditional natural treatments has been suppressed for many years.
You aren't even allowed to sell most of the natural treatments as such now.

Problem with the "modern stuff" is that much information about traditional natural treatments has been suppressed for many years.

With medicine, definitely. luckily though a lot of the older stuff is cheap on ebay. Elson Haas MD. "Staying healthy with nutrition" is 1000 pages of wisdom and can be had for $20. The other stuff I was referring to was more science based, Astronomy, Physics, and doomer based books, vehicle manuals etc.

Latest posts

Back