New BOV? Van or SUV ?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Anyone else suffering this quandary? I need to replace at least one vehicle this year and its got to serve as a BOV / GHV , trouble is here in the UK there is as much need for a stealth camper van fully self contained as their is for a mid sized competent off roader. I'm still thinking the Stealth Camper Bug Out Vehicle is going to be the best bet. So its back to reading John Speeds Travel Vans again for inspiration.

a sturdy camper van would be the ideal,you can travel with it,live in it and even use it as an "ambulance" to treat one of yours protected from the elements.

i've been thinking along the lines of 4 door 4 wheel drive truck with a extended cab.and have a overhead camper on it.and have a couch of some kind along one side for everyday sleeping to having someone thats been injured in some way,sleep there..

I'm not sure "van" means what I think it means in this case. Are we talking about a pop-up camper or an RV type vehicle here? I'm not sure what a "stealth camper van" is I guess.

My apologies Shadow, Two countries separated by a common language.

A van is Brit English for a panel van or day van like the Econoline. Panel being the plain commercial vehicle, Day being it fitted out with kitchen, toilet, tables etc but no berths.

A Stealth Camper is a Panel van fully fitted out for self contained living just like a motorhome or campervan but WITHOUT windows in the side or rear of the vehicle. The light is let in through sun roofs. So the van just looks like a normal freight vehicle on the outside, but on the inside its a full self contained motor home.

I'm not sure "van" means what I think it means in this case. Are we talking about a pop-up camper or an RV type vehicle here? I'm not sure what a "stealth camper van" is I guess.

My apologies Shadow, Two countries separated by a common language.

A van is Brit English for a panel van or day van like the Econoline. Panel being the plain commercial vehicle, Day being it fitted out with kitchen, toilet, tables etc but no berths.

A Stealth Camper is a Panel van fully fitted out for self contained living just like a motorhome or campervan but WITHOUT windows in the side or rear of the vehicle. The light is let in through sun roofs. So the van just looks like a normal freight vehicle on the outside, but on the inside its a full self contained motor home.

English English versus American English strikes again!

Interesting. See, over here a van is something more like this:
27wheels480.jpg

Less than ideal but I guess not the worst option as far as capacity goes. Not much for off-roading. Now, that stealth camper van sounds awesome. Never heard of anything like that over here.

Either way I would suggest getting one with some extra trunk space like the two links below. The benefits is that you can bring a little extra gear, water, and/or food with you. But one modification I suggest you do is at least get a larger fuel tank put on it even if it 2 more gallons. Those 2 gallons can get you closer to where you want or further away from where you don't want to be.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/...0-super-xl-side-exterior-view_100281441_m.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Ford_Expedition_Limited_EL.jpg

Naaa that's a PEOPLE CARRIER in English English, A Van is like a basic Ford Econoline

Interesting. See, over here a van is something more like this:
27wheels480.jpg

Less than ideal but I guess not the worst option as far as capacity goes. Not much for off-roading. Now, that stealth camper van sounds awesome. Never heard of anything like that over here.

Yes I have seen those beautiful custom built 4x4 expedition vehicles they sell in the US, I think they are made by Sportsmobile. Three turned up over here on tour a couple of years ago, the owners were almost in tears having to pay the equivalent of $11.50 a gallon for petrol.

If I had a working budget I would have a VW T5 or Iveco daily or at a push a Merc Sprinter ( I think they are sold as Dodge Sprinters in the US)

Yes I have seen those beautiful custom built 4x4 expedition vehicles they sell in the US, I think they are made by Sportsmobile. Three turned up over here on tour a couple of years ago, the owners were almost in tears having to pay the equivalent of $11.50 a gallon for petrol.

If I had a working budget I would have a VW T5 or Iveco daily or at a push a Merc Sprinter ( I think they are sold as Dodge Sprinters in the US)

A lot of them around here are the early 80s GMC G series cargo vans similar to the econoline, many here gone to the wrecking yard and picked up the 4 wheel drive drivetrain/transfer case and installed it themselves (cheaper)

I would think that a 4x4 panel van converted into a BOV would be a better bet for many survivalists in the northern states than a tarted up jeep would be.

Yup that is eminently far more practical for a family of preppers to bug out in than a 4x4 jeep or land Rover, to begin with you can SLEEP in the van and not out in a tent or on the ground as you would with a tarted up Jeep. Plus better long range forward vision from the higher driving position, then not having your survival kit on view through windows or fastened to the outside.

Latest posts

Back