What do you think of Elons Electric Pick Up?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind the look but i doubt it will appeal to people who actually need a truck. Looks more use in the city. I am no expert but I think it needs some protection bars at the front. Also is it road legal it doesn't appear to have wing mirrors or windscreen wipers.
The look is pretty putting off to me. As far as it’s capabilities it can tow more than any existing truck out there. Also has a 3800lb hauling capacity. The four wheel drive in the top of the line one is unmatched too and has automatic self leveling. I like it’s capabilities a lot more than its style.

I wonder if he has thought about designing a solar charging station for it that you could have at home. Oh, one more positive thing about electric, compared to a typical vehicle the maintenance on them is practically non existent. No oil changes, no lube thousands of less moving parts to fail. Of course that might put a lot of auto mechanics out of business too.

Elon didn’t just build the Tesla car, he also built a network of thousands of charging stations all over the country. Most are at places that have a restaurant so you can get a meal during the charging. You are right about the 120v not being an option, I’m pretty sure they are all at least 220v. The charging stations are on maps in the cars flat screen and it tells you how much charge you have and how many stations are on your route. The trucks starting price is about the same as a Ford F-150. A decked out ford is actually more than the Tesla.
I read some cool things today on it. The body is frameless and made entirely of heavy gauge stainless steel. You can walk on it without it bowing or denting. The bed has a retractable cover that is sturdy enough to be walked on and is waterproof too. It is power operated and stows inside the roof. There is also a retractable ramp for it that you can drive an ATV into the bed. 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds. (Wow) 14,000lb towing capacity. There is even a camper version that has a futuristic pop up tent in the bed. Front trunk and storage under the bed. At 160,000 miles the battery life is still supposed to be at 90%. Of course keep in mind that no car manufacturers ever actually get what they state on mileage or capabilities, but it gives you an idea.
I agree that the thing is ugly as hell, but the technology in this thing is impressive. Ford is starting a design for an electric truck, but it’s still a long ways out. As are almost all the other major manufacturers. Hopefully there will be more options for traditional styling. I bet within 5 years at least 50% of all vehicles sold will be electric, and with each year range and capabilities should increase.

Wow, if I were a betting man, I'd take that bet all day long. I think 5% of car sales in 5 years might be electric.

Where is the pricing on these things? You can get a bare-bones F150 for $20-30k? How much battery do you get from Tesla for that price? And 14k towing? I know plenty of guys towing 20k lbs with their F350's or Ram 3500's. But that requires a 5th wheel hitch, can this thing take a 5th wheel? And if there are 1000's of charging stations, that means there is one for every 100k people? So, given my county's population, that would be 1 charger to be shared with the closest 3-4 counties?

Overall, you can quote stats all day. Just like their bullet-proof windows... that demo didn't go as planned. I expect most of these other stats/demo's will perform likewise.

Wow, if I were a betting man, I'd take that bet all day long. I think 5% of car sales in 5 years might be electric.

Where is the pricing on these things? You can get a bare-bones F150 for $20-30k? How much battery do you get from Tesla for that price? And 14k towing? I know plenty of guys towing 20k lbs with their F350's or Ram 3500's. But that requires a 5th wheel hitch, can this thing take a 5th wheel? And if there are 1000's of charging stations, that means there is one for every 100k people? So, given my county's population, that would be 1 charger to be shared with the closest 3-4 counties?

Overall, you can quote stats all day. Just like their bullet-proof windows... that demo didn't go as planned. I expect most of these other stats/demo's will perform likewise.
Tesla now has over 14,000 charging stations and is still adding more. The truck starts at 39k and goes up to 69k, but I bet there’s even more options available when it comes out. The battery starts at 250mile range at the lower price point.
I don’t think the electric vehicles are ready to overtake the internal combustion engine yet by any means, but it won’t be long.

until they come out with one that will go 1000 miles on one charge and the power to pull a 20k trailer while doing it they will remain a never run in the real world

ranchers and farmers have to have a truck that can do the above,,,,,MUSKS truck is a yuppies toy

Last edited:
The model t was a piece of crap in the beginning. Manual brakes, water pump that needed to be rebuilt often, slow, etc. it’s coming.

As much as I hate to admit it, Brent is correct that it is coming. I doubt it will be within the next 5 years. 14,000 charging stations is less than the number of gas stations just in California, much less nation wide. This truck will make a solid urban / suburban pick up choice. The average city (urban /suburban) pick up driver only hauls home repair items, groceries, maybe a motorcycle or ATV but almost never hauls anywhere near a pick up trucks rated capacity. Most are driven around town or maybe to a national park for camping purposes. Would I take this on a long trip, not any time soon. Would it work as a commute vehicle and be able to haul some plywood or yard dirt, yes. This equates to a gentrified pickup, not a real farm / off road vehicle. This is an electric El Camino, nice around town but certainly not a real work horse. Still butt ugly.

14k stations? So, it'd only be 2 counties sharing one charger for everyone? There are over 100k gas stations with typically 8 pumps/station. What does it take, 3-5 minutes to fill your tank and that includes paying? So in theory one station can do (assume 4 minutes per fillup): 15 fillups/hour x 24 hours/day x 8 pumps/station = 2,880 vehicles. Let's say a Tesla-pump station can double it to 16 chargers. It can get how many customers/day: 16 x 2 charges/hour x 24 hours = 768 customers. So you'll need almost 4 times as many of these stations (each with twice the capacity of gas stations) to service all customers. Now let's say people charge at home 80% of the time, you'll still need another 100k charge "stations", each with 16 individual chargers (or 1.6 million chargers!).

Yes, it is coming. So are flying cars, servant robots, and space-travel-for-all. The question is when? The Model T came out in 1908. It was 50+ years before the average family had a car, and it was an unreliable inefficient beast. And it's been another 50 years for that same car to become reliable and efficient. It was the late 90's when the electric cars came out as a consumer vehicle with any popularity (and little at that). It may be 50 years before the 'average' home has one, so call it 2047? Sure, things are moving faster. But the battery technology is still far from 'affordable', long-term reliable, or anywhere near as good an option as good old combustion engines.

People don't typically have multiple vehicles. You can't get this fake truck AND a real one, and pick which one you want to drive tomorrow. Get one vehicle that meets the minimal requirement and use it. Lots of city people use buses/cabs and don't own any vehicle. Part time guys by me have a F150. Guys who regularly haul some hay & such have a F250. Guys who move equipment have a F350 with a 5th wheel hitch. (translate equivalent for Dodge or (puke) GM)

200,000 preorders already with a non refundable 100 USD downpayment and that is with the windows cracking too.

200,000 preorders already with a non refundable 100 USD downpayment and that is with the windows cracking too.

That reminds me of how Tesla had 500k of their Model 3's ordered. But had so many problems that they struggled to ship a few thousand each month for a long time. Meanwhile Ford is selling a million+ pickups a year. Does anyone really think Tesla will sell 200k of these beyond-ugly things anytime soon? Go ahead, hold your breath.

I've got a 1,000+ mile range with my real F250 pick up. It holds 80+ gallons of fuel. I guarantee that there will never be a charging station anywhere that I ever go. About the only time that I travel to a city larger than 6,000 people, that could possibly have 1 charging station some day, is when I pick up the wife at the airport.
Just think about the problems with trying to get in and out of a charging station, even if one was available on your route, pulling a 25+ foot trailer. And then having to wait 25-30 minutes to charge! Who would do that?!?
I can see this appealing to a few techno geeks, green weenies and some girly men, but not to anyone who actually needs a real pickup.
Just curious, what's the range on this thing pulling a 14,000 pound load at -10f with the heater on going over mountain passes. I guess for this "pick up" to work for most us we'd have to carry around a generator and a tank of gas and sit on the side of the road to charge. Just seems kind of backwards to me.

I have 2 questions...

1. Who really killed Jeff Epstein?
2. Why hasn't Brent replied on the "How to lie: Climate" thread?

I get it, Epstein is dead so he can't tell us. But Brent, why the crickets... Man up. Join the discussion there after you watch the video linked in my first post there. I'll sprinkle this post in case you miss this one.

I have 2 questions...

1. Who really killed Jeff Epstein?
2. Why hasn't Brent replied on the "How to lie: Climate" thread?

I get it, Epstein is dead so he can't tell us. But Brent, why the crickets... Man up. Join the discussion there after you watch the video linked in my first post there. I'll sprinkle this post in case you miss this one.
I guess I’m just not into conspiracy theories. Epstein is dead, and I believe the world is a better place because of it. I believe he hung himself, but don’t really care how he died. As far as trying to convince you or anyone else that polluting the world is not in our best interests, well, if I have to convince you then there is no point in discussing it. I do agree that there are some statistics on both sides that are pure crap. Yet the vast majority of the scientific community around the globe all agree, we are pissing in the pool we are swimming in, and it’s a small pool. I’m going with the most educated people on the issue.

I can easily see the urban snowflake millenial latte drinking democrat voting city types driving electric cars in the near future, but the rest of us living in the real worl will still be driving petrol and diesel vehicles. None of the car companies, or utility companies or any government is going to want to build a multi billion dollar network of charging points outside the city limits.

I guess I’m just not into conspiracy theories. Epstein is dead, and I believe the world is a better place because of it. I believe he hung himself, but don’t really care how he died. As far as trying to convince you or anyone else that polluting the world is not in our best interests, well, if I have to convince you then there is no point in discussing it. I do agree that there are some statistics on both sides that are pure crap. Yet the vast majority of the scientific community around the globe all agree, we are pissing in the pool we are swimming in, and it’s a small pool. I’m going with the most educated people on the issue.

More Liberal evasive responses. Can't answer the question so evade with misdirection. Brent you should run for office, on the Democratic party line of course. you are not "Woke" you have simply swallowed the Koolaid, par Jim Jones.

Latest posts

Back