Motivation required!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you can your potatoes? I still have boxes of them and would like to try other recepies.
I don't can them, I haven't ever tried doing them that way. I put them in some dirt in 5 gallon buckets and put them in the basement. We usually eat them up before they go bad. Sometimes, I add them into vegetable soup, and can that in a tomato base. I love them fried up with okra. Also just boiled and then browned in butter. Then, there is mashed potatoes, or oven baked potato wedges. Or hashbrowns. Man that low carb dieting is hard!

Motivation? Have you seen the two candidates we have to choose from in November?
According to my husband, there isn't much of a choice anyway.......seems like all the choices are being made for us. It is a scarier world by the moment. When he mentioned his newest plan to spend a couple of hundred a month on ammo, for the first time I just nodded yes instead of arguing.

According to my husband, there isn't much of a choice anyway.......seems like all the choices are being made for us. It is a scarier world by the moment. When he mentioned his newest plan to spend a couple of hundred a month on ammo, for the first time I just nodded yes instead of arguing.
I just told my wife I was allocating 300.00 for some more, and same situation, no arguing at all. (She usually watches the evening news with me, which has no good news anymore)

I don't can them, I haven't ever tried doing them that way. I put them in some dirt in 5 gallon buckets and put them in the basement. We usually eat them up before they go bad. Sometimes, I add them into vegetable soup, and can that in a tomato base. I love them fried up with okra. Also just boiled and then browned in butter. Then, there is mashed potatoes, or oven baked potato wedges. Or hashbrowns. Man that low carb dieting is hard!
The canned red potatoes are pretty good. They stay pretty firm, and make great potatoe salad. I too have boxes of them in a cool dark pantry, but wanted to experiment with some canned. Canned white ones are good mixed with beans or make great mashed potatoes. All I add is salt and hot water, so there kind of bland on their own.

The canned red potatoes are pretty good. They stay pretty firm, and make great potatoe salad. I too have boxes of them in a cool dark pantry, but wanted to experiment with some canned. Canned white ones are good mixed with beans or make great mashed potatoes. All I add is salt and hot water, so there kind of bland on their own.
They are also great in soups. . .love me some good comfort potato soup in the winter and yes it can be canned

seems like i seen a recipe for it in the ball book.but wont swear to it..
This was one of the first dishes my mom taught me to make.....at around age 8 ish. I remember calling her at work on the phone for instructions.....simmer the ham hock, carmelize the onions......what's next mom? what I was doing cooking alone at that age I am not sure.....certainly would not let my own kids do it yet. I love potato soup.

This was one of the first dishes my mom taught me to make.....at around age 8 ish. I remember calling her at work on the phone for instructions.....simmer the ham hock, carmelize the onions......what's next mom? what I was doing cooking alone at that age I am not sure.....certainly would not let my own kids do it yet. I love potato soup.
Teasing isn't fair! So what's the recipe! I never had it with the ham hock...

Teasing isn't fair! So what's the recipe! I never had it with the ham hock...
Haven't made it in so long, and there was never a recipe.....saute onions in butter, add finely diced ham, parsley, salt, chopped potatoes, ham hock, simmer, add milk, ad I think she mixed flour with milk and added that. Something like that.....

Haven't made it in so long, and there was never a recipe.....saute onions in butter, add finely diced ham, parsley, salt, chopped potatoes, ham hock, simmer, add milk, ad I think she mixed flour with milk and added that. Something like that.....
I like the thought of the ham, ummm! I have used lots of pepper and milk and chives (never really liked parsley). The great thing about cooking is you get to customize things to your taste. I'm adding some potatoe soup to my to do list today. I've got to do something with all these potatoes anyway.

Potato Soup – no milk

8-10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, diced
3 leeks, sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T butter
ÂĽ cup fresh parsley
1 T. fresh thyme
1 t. dried rosemary
dash red pepper flakes
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
6 cups chicken broth (alternately use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup)
salt and pepper to taste

Slice leeks into thin discs. (You can omit them)
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Sauté leeks, onions and garlic for roughly 3-5 minutes until tender. Do not brown the leeks as it will give your soup a burnt flavor.

Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cook for an additional 5 minutes stirring frequently. Sprinkle with parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes, and rosemary, stir to combine. Pour in chicken broth and season with Worcestershire sauce.

Bring soup to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars leaving an inch headspace. Pressure can pints for 60 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure (processed at sea level). Quarts 75 minutes. . If you want bacon canned with soup, fry pieces till crisp, set aside. Omit butter and saute your veggies in bacon grease then proceed with recipe. Process pints 1 hr 15 minutes and quarts 1 hour 30 minutes.

When preparing, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. If you want add in some cubed cheese and top with bacon pieces and green onions. YUM!

Makes about 4 quarts. Can be doubled to make a full canner.

seems like i seen a recipe for it in the ball book.but wont swear to it..
I hadn't seen a potato soup recipe in the ball book, but mine is around 15 years old now. . . and falling apart :)

Potato Soup – no milk

8-10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, diced
3 leeks, sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T butter
ÂĽ cup fresh parsley
1 T. fresh thyme
1 t. dried rosemary
dash red pepper flakes
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
6 cups chicken broth (alternately use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup)
salt and pepper to taste

Slice leeks into thin discs. (You can omit them)
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Sauté leeks, onions and garlic for roughly 3-5 minutes until tender. Do not brown the leeks as it will give your soup a burnt flavor.

Add potatoes, carrots, and celery. Cook for an additional 5 minutes stirring frequently. Sprinkle with parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes, and rosemary, stir to combine. Pour in chicken broth and season with Worcestershire sauce.

Bring soup to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars leaving an inch headspace. Pressure can pints for 60 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure (processed at sea level). Quarts 75 minutes. . If you want bacon canned with soup, fry pieces till crisp, set aside. Omit butter and saute your veggies in bacon grease then proceed with recipe. Process pints 1 hr 15 minutes and quarts 1 hour 30 minutes.

When preparing, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. If you want add in some cubed cheese and top with bacon pieces and green onions. YUM!

Makes about 4 quarts. Can be doubled to make a full canner.
The milk was an experiment with canning for the first time. I hadn't really thought about butter separating too. Thanks. I hope the soup is still edible after the time that went into it!

The milk was an experiment with canning for the first time. I hadn't really thought about butter separating too. Thanks. I hope the soup is still edible after the time that went into it!
I would think that it should be ok for now since you just did it. I have canned milk before and it turned out like evaporated milk and does separate after a time, but for mine it took a couple weeks (maybe?) before the separation was noticeable. I just shook it up when opening. Adding milk will shorten the lifespan of your canned goods so I add in the milk after opening of jars. For that recipe, the butter is fine, I just omit if frying bacon. Onions and garlic are always better tasting when cooked in butter!!

I would think that it should be ok for now since you just did it. I have canned milk before and it turned out like evaporated milk and does separate after a time, but for mine it took a couple weeks (maybe?) before the separation was noticeable. I just shook it up when opening. Adding milk will shorten the lifespan of your canned goods so I add in the milk after opening of jars. For that recipe, the butter is fine, I just omit if frying bacon. Onions and garlic are always better tasting when cooked in butter!!
I appreciate the advice, and will steer clear of milk from now on in canning. I put one jar in the fridge, and will taste it soon. I'm sure it's safe to eat as I am pretty strict with times and heat, but will it taste as good as the batch I'm still finishing... I had another good day today. Finished another load of dehydrated apples with cinnamon. There a lot like candy, just slightly chewy like I like. I also did a batch of seasoned red potatoes and green beans, and picked a box of apples to can, but ran out of steam for tonight. There's always tomorrow. Oh, I also made two quarts of applesauce. I actually just opened some jars of last years canned apples and mashed them in a bowl. I left them just a little chunky, but they had enough cinnamon and sweetness that I didn't need to change or Doctor the flavor at all.

Latest posts

Back