Mental Health..anyone?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Was thinking the other night,when sleep was once again some where,but not with me..
we all cope with this with various ways,but we all now this affects us,like it or not it does.

so if you wanna rant about something,bitch about something..do it in this thread,hell
we might find an answer..or not,who knows.

I'm first to admit,that yes it feels good with company but at the moment
I can't take it 24 / 7, I need solitude,I get edgy if some one is too long near me,
and it pisses me off when I'm in my civies and some one asks me about some medical issue
( at the moment ) , instead of taking their phone and call a Dr, perhaps some one
thinks I'm petty,when I don't wanna take care of my neighbors friends friend,but I'm not
Atlas, cannot have the world on my shoulders ( too old,too cranky,not big enough ) ;)

and I must admit, I've been kinda uneasy for a long time as this "seems to go the nice way,way too easy,way too fast" and have that tingling on my back that this is far from over..

Last edited:
for me helps to keep some information-santiation policy. Lean social-media consumption, just two/three times responses to e-mail and three-four hours pulling the plug from everything, just forrest walks/biking or reading a boring book, preferrable before sleeping. Low alcohol, no coffee, less sugar since all of these things have an impact on the mental stability.
Than 7h sleep without little helpers and pills; and I'm reliefed from these attacks.
But it is a catch22; to implement such a policy requires additional mental power...

As far as mental health goes, I'm holding it together.

But . . . I sincerely worry about the mental health of a lot of other people, if you get my drift. People have been getting more short tempered, I see more religious crazy people with their signs and sandwich boards, and I see drug dealers doing a brisk business despite everyone being out of work.

I am autistic and socially inept, but I still like to think that I had real instincts and intuition from my years in the streets as a paramedic, and I agree with Jontte that things are really off in some subtle, but fundemental way.

The hairs on the back of my neck have been standing up a lot lately, and I can't put my finger on exactly what's bothering me.

It's an uncomfortable feeling, but quite useful. I never ignored it when I was working in EMS.

We are "prepared" for times like these, with "things". Mental health is the most important prep, and probably the most difficult to achieve. For me, death is not to be feared. We ALL have to die. I think once we face any fears about it, and overcome them, it makes it easier to watch this unfold. My motto has always been "hope for the best, plan for the worst". And one of my favorite quotes

"We sometimes congratulate ourselves at the moment of waking from a troubled dream; it may be so the moment after death." - Nathaniel Hawthorne

If I have any fear about dying, it's that I come back in Dharavi.

I think part of being a prepper is to prepare yourself mentally for disaster and all that entails.

I don't think anyone can really and truly be fully prepared however. Things can still weigh your down mentally when it happens, and life can still be tough no matter how much you are prepared, so I'm not making light of anyone that has problems coping.

We are "prepared" for times like these, with "things". Mental health is the most important prep, and probably the most difficult to achieve. For me, death is not to be feared. We ALL have to die. I think once we face any fears about it, and overcome them, it makes it easier to watch this unfold. My motto has always been "hope for the best, plan for the worst". And one of my favorite quotes

"We sometimes congratulate ourselves at the moment of waking from a troubled dream; it may be so the moment after death." - Nathaniel Hawthorne

If I have any fear about dying, it's that I come back in Dharavi.
to me it helps not just getting mentally clean and empty through a crisis. What really helps is another turn after that exercise. It is something like ...compassion - for the Unprepared. As a social being, prepared and stable, I feel I have a responsibility not letting our world be doomed. To avoid misunderstandings, I'm not a wannabe saint; I have a gun. But there should be more in my efforts just to establish and sit then in a hideout and hope to survive...lonely.

Last edited:
to me it helps not just getting mentally clean and empty through a crisis. What really helps is another turn after that exercise. It is something like ...compassion - for the Unprepared. As a social being, prepared and stable, I feel I have a responsibility not letting our world be doomed. To avoid misunderstandings, I'm not a wannabe saint; I have a gun. But there should be more in my efforts just to establish and sit then in a hideout and hope to survive...lonely.

Just remember, Givers have to set limits because takers seldom do. The world is full of takers. I used to be extremely generous with everything, including my time. 50 years has taught me that the more you give, the more people expect, and when you stop giving, they act like you are an asshole. I feel ZERO sympathy, or empathy for the unprepared. I have watched everyone around me go to restaurants and bars a few nights a week, buy new cars, and nice homes, and lot's of "things" they didn't need and will do them no good in times like these. ZERO. They all thought I was loony for saving my money and prepping.

I was a homeless teen with $.12 to my name at one point. I worked hard and sacrificed for everything I have, so I can speak with some authority.

Life is hard, not fair and some days it even sucks. How a person reacts to these different life experiences says a lot about the person. These tough experiences should give you lessons in life and you as a person choose what route you want to go down. Your own mental health depends on you as a person, not anyone else and how you handle things in life that are thrown your way.

To be honest, the virus hasn't changed the way we do thing here that much a bit slower though, I have 4 kids that left the property to do there job through this mess leaving me only my Wife, 2 adult kids and all the grandkids to help out but it's noticeable not having everyone here.

When I was laid up in bed unable to move anything from my hip to my feet for 6 weeks, I watched a lot of documentaries like WWI/WWII live footages, also about the people coming together on the home front. I also watched documentaries on the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression, watched a lot on the Civil Defense during WWII and the Cold War. Watching these left me with a great sense of relief in thinking my God, I really don't have it all that bad, some of the footage even brought back fond memories.

Be blessed you're not going through this.

Storm of the Century - the Blizzard of '49

Or

The Dust Bowl

I found an interesting mental problem situation.

You know how masks are required in public?

Well, this f---ing asshole in California goes out shopping in his KKK hood so that he can do his part with slowing the spread of COVID-19.

See below for link and image:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-california-shopper-wears-kkk-193902551.html

EXHFqmAUYAMdPcR.jpeg

Just remember, Givers have to set limits because takers seldom do. The world is full of takers. I used to be extremely generous with everything, including my time. 50 years has taught me that the more you give, the more people expect, and when you stop giving, they act like you are an asshole. I feel ZERO sympathy, or empathy for the unprepared. I have watched everyone around me go to restaurants and bars a few nights a week, buy new cars, and nice homes, and lot's of "things" they didn't need and will do them no good in times like these. ZERO. They all thought I was loony for saving my money and prepping.

I was a homeless teen with $.12 to my name at one point. I worked hard and sacrificed for everything I have, so I can speak with some authority.
sorry to hear about Your faith, considering Your are a proven fighter. I hate takers as You do. Therefore the gun. Our compassion should be picky. We may keep an eye for, let's say, givers, involutarily coming into a situation to be a temporary taker. Than we are more a lender to provide our support to a borrower, who is willing and able to pay it back to us. That requires trust, to be build up to people surrounding us preferrably before the disaster strikes, becomming than a very precious commodity.
Finally this will create a kind of pack or a gang or a tribe...the oldest organizational form for survival of the mankind.

my mental health has been wack for weeks now. nothing to do with covid tho. only thing I figure is my youngest is leaving for college in August, leaving an empty nest. All these years my better half and I joked about having the house all to ourselves. and I'm acting a nut case over every thing dumb. Makes No Sense. Happy not so Happy somedays

Just as we all have different tastes in food, drink, clothes and cars, we have different limits to our helping hand according to each of our different lessons and experiences in life. I cannot think of the many times I helped someone and they said, "wow it finally comes back to me". Life is a circle and we never know what we give comes back or we are giving back what we received from earlier. Help means to me, follow your heart, but never forget to take your intelligence and experience on the path with you. GP

Latest posts

Back