Likely selling the ranch...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Just getting too hard for my wife to stay here, with our son's suicide in his room and all. I've personally got mixed feelings on it. We both love it out here, but it's really way more than we need, especially at this point. House is way too big to easily maintain, property is likewise....and just more time and money to keep all of it up, especially now.

We'll likely get a much smaller house more in the city closer to where we work, to make life a bit easier, but I still would like to be sure I have at least enough land for a small garden and such. She really hasn't gone riding much, so the horses are like two big, expensive dogs I have to feed....but that don't do anything.

I'll still be a prepper in many ways of course, especially with our storm season here (FL). But it will likely be more of an urban vs. rural one. We'll see. Nothing is set in stone, and it will still take a lot of time if we go that route, maybe even a year....but it's something we've been discussing. Just saying it here mostly as a way to kind of vent it out.

I understand. When my former late hubby passed at age 40, I saw him everywhere. Very painful. I kept being told to wait a good year before making any big decisions. Truly hard when you see them and their things everywhere, memories everywhere. Hard to breathe. I bought a much smaller home a few months later, couldn't take it anymore. Gave most all of his things to family and friends that wanted or could use them. Kept precious things. I cannot imagine going through the loss of a child, very different, but I can understand somewhat.

Be good to yourselves and each other. They say time heals.. and agree, to an extent. That time is excrutiating and every day is very hard won. My very deep heartfelt sympathies to you both.

Tough decisions this life hands us. Sometimes I think I'd like to move to town to make things simpler but I can't stand noise from people and their motors, cars, lawnmowers, loud music, etc, I will stay where I am and if I can't take care of it, well, the land is not going anywhere, it will just grow up again like it was when I got here. I'll stay in my hidey hole in the woods. Of course that is my location, in FL you have to keep it all cut down things, seem to deteriorate more quickly there and you have a jungle.

Hits just keep on coming.....

Found out this week that all of our boarders are leaving.

Kind of the peril of 3 of the 4 actually working together (so if one does, the others do)....but the other surprise was one we've had there for almost 3 years.

Not sure how they found a place cheaper....but so they say.

On one hand though, it's kind of a relief. Two of them were horrible at paying on time, or at all....so I'm sure the new barn owner will have some fun there.

But financially, it's a huge hit, and all of a sudden, when I'm already looking at spending a bunch of money on a service for my son. Way to kick a guy when he's down....and some of these boarders I considered friends. At least the two deadbeats are kind of forced to pay up before leaving (or I'm going to frickin' sell their horses...they are behind, so I can do so, by the contract terms).

Part of me wants to go ahead and do it, but I'm not that kind of guy (nor do I want to keep and feed them until sold).

As my wife puts it...."I am just so done with people...." (and then you see an animal poop on the floor, and you're like....."ugh"....)

I don't even want to advertise for new ones until they are all gone, and I can just block them on Facebook. Hardly need them trying to sabotage me out of any new ones. We bend over backwards for our boarders, and basically offer combo board for a self board rate. The only real complaint on their end, is that they had to step up and be out there a bit, while we often stayed in the city to handle affairs, these past couple weeks. Really? It's SELF board...you are supposed to be there daily....but they just got spoiled.

It's certainly making the case to sell just that much easier.

What a shitty situation, Gazrok. I don't get it when people enter into a contract and the welch on it with late payments, not standing up to do the work, etc. I hope the sun comes out for you soon.

Gaz a fresh start is what you need,after what you have gone thru it is the right way to go,,,and your borders may be leaving because they took the hit right along side of you and also need a new start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

find a nice place don't settle just to get away from the pain of the old memory's

GOOD LUCK with whatever direction you take

Yeah, just a matter of how long it will all take. I don't want to hose myself in the process....but we can likely sell, and buy smaller outright, no mortgage, etc. I don't know, we'll figure it all out.

On the plus side, it's been kind of fun figuring out exactly what features would be in our ideal "downsizing" home. Kind of forces you to realize the difference between needs and wants, as well as analyze just how much of our current home we never really even utilized much lately. (at one time, there were five of us here, now just me and the wife).

Even when our son was here, there were 4 rooms that were basically just storage, as we never got to actually finishing out their final purpose (as it kept changing over the years to be bedrooms).

Today was fun. Found out my horse boarders ran out secretly while we were away this weekend (they knew we'd be out). (left owing money). Jokes on them, as they are idiots, so didn't take much online detective work to see exactly where they went... So, made sure they knew I knew where they went...and now they have a week to pay or it's legal time, and sheriff called, etc. They seemed surprised I knew. - Well, they are idiots, and facebook stuff. Morons.

Today was fun. Found out my horse boarders ran out secretly while we were away this weekend (they knew we'd be out). (left owing money). Jokes on them, as they are idiots, so didn't take much online detective work to see exactly where they went... So, made sure they knew I knew where they went...and now they have a week to pay or it's legal time, and sheriff called, etc. They seemed surprised I knew. - Well, they are idiots, and facebook stuff. Morons.

Welching on contracts is low. Go get 'em, Gaz!

Hits just keep on coming.....

Found out this week that all of our boarders are leaving.

Kind of the peril of 3 of the 4 actually working together (so if one does, the others do)....but the other surprise was one we've had there for almost 3 years.

Not sure how they found a place cheaper....but so they say.

On one hand though, it's kind of a relief. Two of them were horrible at paying on time, or at all....so I'm sure the new barn owner will have some fun there.

But financially, it's a huge hit, and all of a sudden, when I'm already looking at spending a bunch of money on a service for my son. Way to kick a guy when he's down....and some of these boarders I considered friends. At least the two deadbeats are kind of forced to pay up before leaving (or I'm going to frickin' sell their horses...they are behind, so I can do so, by the contract terms).

Part of me wants to go ahead and do it, but I'm not that kind of guy (nor do I want to keep and feed them until sold).

As my wife puts it...."I am just so done with people...." (and then you see an animal poop on the floor, and you're like....."ugh"....)

I don't even want to advertise for new ones until they are all gone, and I can just block them on Facebook. Hardly need them trying to sabotage me out of any new ones. We bend over backwards for our boarders, and basically offer combo board for a self board rate. The only real complaint on their end, is that they had to step up and be out there a bit, while we often stayed in the city to handle affairs, these past couple weeks. Really? It's SELF board...you are supposed to be there daily....but they just got spoiled.

It's certainly making the case to sell just that much easier.
YOu should be telling them what you tell us here. You are justified in doing so. Don't be a doormat.

Latest posts

Back