Likely selling the ranch...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Just getting too hard for my wife to stay here, with our son's suicide in his room and all. I've personally got mixed feelings on it. We both love it out here, but it's really way more than we need, especially at this point. House is way too big to easily maintain, property is likewise....and just more time and money to keep all of it up, especially now.

We'll likely get a much smaller house more in the city closer to where we work, to make life a bit easier, but I still would like to be sure I have at least enough land for a small garden and such. She really hasn't gone riding much, so the horses are like two big, expensive dogs I have to feed....but that don't do anything.

I'll still be a prepper in many ways of course, especially with our storm season here (FL). But it will likely be more of an urban vs. rural one. We'll see. Nothing is set in stone, and it will still take a lot of time if we go that route, maybe even a year....but it's something we've been discussing. Just saying it here mostly as a way to kind of vent it out.

As UP said, different times and different needs. I would say go with God, and while we don't agree on that, I hope you appreciate the intent.

I understand. When my former late hubby passed at age 40, I saw him everywhere. Very painful. I kept being told to wait a good year before making any big decisions. Truly hard when you see them and their things everywhere, memories everywhere. Hard to breathe. I bought a much smaller home a few months later, couldn't take it anymore. Gave most all of his things to family and friends that wanted or could use them. Kept precious things. I cannot imagine going through the loss of a child, very different, but I can understand somewhat.

Be good to yourselves and each other. They say time heals.. and agree, to an extent. That time is excrutiating and every day is very hard won. My very deep heartfelt sympathies to you both.

Tough decisions this life hands us. Sometimes I think I'd like to move to town to make things simpler but I can't stand noise from people and their motors, cars, lawnmowers, loud music, etc, I will stay where I am and if I can't take care of it, well, the land is not going anywhere, it will just grow up again like it was when I got here. I'll stay in my hidey hole in the woods. Of course that is my location, in FL you have to keep it all cut down things, seem to deteriorate more quickly there and you have a jungle.

Hits just keep on coming.....

Found out this week that all of our boarders are leaving.

Kind of the peril of 3 of the 4 actually working together (so if one does, the others do)....but the other surprise was one we've had there for almost 3 years.

Not sure how they found a place cheaper....but so they say.

On one hand though, it's kind of a relief. Two of them were horrible at paying on time, or at all....so I'm sure the new barn owner will have some fun there.

But financially, it's a huge hit, and all of a sudden, when I'm already looking at spending a bunch of money on a service for my son. Way to kick a guy when he's down....and some of these boarders I considered friends. At least the two deadbeats are kind of forced to pay up before leaving (or I'm going to frickin' sell their horses...they are behind, so I can do so, by the contract terms).

Part of me wants to go ahead and do it, but I'm not that kind of guy (nor do I want to keep and feed them until sold).

As my wife puts it...."I am just so done with people...." (and then you see an animal poop on the floor, and you're like....."ugh"....)

I don't even want to advertise for new ones until they are all gone, and I can just block them on Facebook. Hardly need them trying to sabotage me out of any new ones. We bend over backwards for our boarders, and basically offer combo board for a self board rate. The only real complaint on their end, is that they had to step up and be out there a bit, while we often stayed in the city to handle affairs, these past couple weeks. Really? It's SELF board...you are supposed to be there daily....but they just got spoiled.

It's certainly making the case to sell just that much easier.

Gaz a fresh start is what you need,after what you have gone thru it is the right way to go,,,and your borders may be leaving because they took the hit right along side of you and also need a new start,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

find a nice place don't settle just to get away from the pain of the old memory's

GOOD LUCK with whatever direction you take

Yeah, just a matter of how long it will all take. I don't want to hose myself in the process....but we can likely sell, and buy smaller outright, no mortgage, etc. I don't know, we'll figure it all out.

On the plus side, it's been kind of fun figuring out exactly what features would be in our ideal "downsizing" home. Kind of forces you to realize the difference between needs and wants, as well as analyze just how much of our current home we never really even utilized much lately. (at one time, there were five of us here, now just me and the wife).

Even when our son was here, there were 4 rooms that were basically just storage, as we never got to actually finishing out their final purpose (as it kept changing over the years to be bedrooms).

Today was fun. Found out my horse boarders ran out secretly while we were away this weekend (they knew we'd be out). (left owing money). Jokes on them, as they are idiots, so didn't take much online detective work to see exactly where they went... So, made sure they knew I knew where they went...and now they have a week to pay or it's legal time, and sheriff called, etc. They seemed surprised I knew. - Well, they are idiots, and facebook stuff. Morons.

Today was fun. Found out my horse boarders ran out secretly while we were away this weekend (they knew we'd be out). (left owing money). Jokes on them, as they are idiots, so didn't take much online detective work to see exactly where they went... So, made sure they knew I knew where they went...and now they have a week to pay or it's legal time, and sheriff called, etc. They seemed surprised I knew. - Well, they are idiots, and facebook stuff. Morons.

Welching on contracts is low. Go get 'em, Gaz!

Hits just keep on coming.....

Found out this week that all of our boarders are leaving.

Kind of the peril of 3 of the 4 actually working together (so if one does, the others do)....but the other surprise was one we've had there for almost 3 years.

Not sure how they found a place cheaper....but so they say.

On one hand though, it's kind of a relief. Two of them were horrible at paying on time, or at all....so I'm sure the new barn owner will have some fun there.

But financially, it's a huge hit, and all of a sudden, when I'm already looking at spending a bunch of money on a service for my son. Way to kick a guy when he's down....and some of these boarders I considered friends. At least the two deadbeats are kind of forced to pay up before leaving (or I'm going to frickin' sell their horses...they are behind, so I can do so, by the contract terms).

Part of me wants to go ahead and do it, but I'm not that kind of guy (nor do I want to keep and feed them until sold).

As my wife puts it...."I am just so done with people...." (and then you see an animal poop on the floor, and you're like....."ugh"....)

I don't even want to advertise for new ones until they are all gone, and I can just block them on Facebook. Hardly need them trying to sabotage me out of any new ones. We bend over backwards for our boarders, and basically offer combo board for a self board rate. The only real complaint on their end, is that they had to step up and be out there a bit, while we often stayed in the city to handle affairs, these past couple weeks. Really? It's SELF board...you are supposed to be there daily....but they just got spoiled.

It's certainly making the case to sell just that much easier.
YOu should be telling them what you tell us here. You are justified in doing so. Don't be a doormat.

It is probably for the best they leave. Can you find out where they are going and give them a heads up?

There are good people out there and there are bad people out there, I just won't spend the time or effort to discover who is which. Sounds like a real good time to sell the ranch and avoid another situation where you have to deal with the public at large.

Kind of funny. One of them (boarders) came crawling back (she hated the new place, because they were just way too uptight...we're more laid back, so she wasn't aware many were like that). Luckily, she was one that always paid on time, and paid up immediately to even consider it, as well as the deposits, etc. to come back. She also had two of the 5 horses that left, so it's enough to easily maintain our own horses without being out of pocket on them.

Two of the others, I'll never allow back, as they always carried a balance for the last 6 months they were here. They are now wanting to do payment plans, to keep me from suing their asses, after they got a letter from my equine lawyer's office. (the beauty of it, is that my legal fees are added to what THEY owe, due to my contract with them).

We still may sell though...but we need to do some work on the place to get it in that condition anyhow...so really, it may just be a decision months from now, depending on how that all shakes out. Me, personally, I'd love not having to go out in the cold to feed horses or blanket them, etc. I'd also love not having my clothes covered in cat hair, etc.

G, it sounds like you got blessed from every side. Got rid of the free loaders, and the one who paid went out & realized how great you are and came back!

For the ones that left, I'd advice to refuse the payment plan. Reality is that they tried to screw you completely, and only after getting caught are now asking YOU to compromise. Sorry. You have nothing to gain by giving them a payment plan. It is all past due. You aren't trying to keep clients. You are in the right legally and they are liable for all legal costs. It sounds like you have every advantage. They are asking for your kindness after they backstabbed you. Don't do it. You'll be surprised how quickly they will 'find' the money to pay it all up (even legal costs) once they realize they've got no more scam options and the costs are going up daily. You do have late fees added in there? If not, give them that bone: they pay within 14 days else late fees (per contract) will be added to the legal debt. Might even make it 7 days.

No more Mr Nice Guy!

Now what to do with the ranch? That's a very personal decision, I recommend spending time considering the good/bad of each choice. If I were to move, I'd consider the mountains in MO/AR.

For the ones that left, I'd advice to refuse the payment plan. Reality is that they tried to screw you completely, and only after getting caught are now asking YOU to compromise. Sorry. You have nothing to gain by giving them a payment plan. It is all past due.

Believe me, I'd love to just go get the horses and sell them. But, the law isn't on the side of that. Oddly, if I had just sold them (while here), I'd be in a much better position legally for it. Weird.

The only other way I'm going to get money out of them, is to sue. And even when I win, then the problem is going to be actually collecting it. At least with payments, I'll get something out of it now. And that's only because they still like my wife (they hate me, as I had to be the bill harasser). Anyhow, my wife is said it's how she wants to handle it, so I've basically washed my hands of it. ;)

I did talk to their new barn's owner though, and let her know what went down. She's oddly seemingly OK with it. Oh well...when she gets burned by them not paying up, she'll get her own come uppance then....so be it. I get the feeling the barn owner and one of the former boarders are friends, and basically concocted this whole desertion scheme. The new barn has more grass (because she hasn't had horses grazing on it all summer, duh...that will run out quick in the winter, probably by end of Dec...we just get a hay roll in the winter, for out there....). I seriously doubt the new barn owner is as flexible as we are (and our returning boarder seems to prove that)....so they are going to soon find themselves in a bind.

I've also reached out to other nearby barn owners that are part of certain FB groups, where we share info on deadbeat boarders. It makes it more difficult for these a-holes to board when they keep burning folks.

Now what to do with the ranch? That's a very personal decision, I recommend spending time considering the good/bad of each choice. If I were to move, I'd consider the mountains in MO/AR.

Well, there's a lot of work to do on the house before selling. Otherwise, we'd get a bit hosed on it. So that will take time. (and either way, it has to be done). So we have time to consider options. If we did sell and move, it would be to downsize (including re-homing many animals) and move closer to work, in a smaller house.

If we sold, we could easily pay off the remaining mortgage, buy a smaller home outright, and likely have a bit left. The ranch house is over 4000 sq ft, with 4 bedrooms/3 and a half baths, an 800 sq ft shop, two stables (11 stalls total), standing 3 car garage, separate hay/feed building, etc. We could easily go down to a 2 or 3 bedroom (enough to have a guest room, and a shared home office). We just don't need all that space, really, as we've come to learn. It's a LOT to maintain with just us. Our family and friends are still here though, as for going out of state. Friends we've had for decades.

We'd also sell the tractor and the horse trailer. So that'd be decent money right there.

You do have late fees added in there? If not, give them that bone: they pay within 14 days else late fees (per contract) will be added to the legal debt. Might even make it 7 days.

Yes, if I do have to sue, we have late fees built into the contract. In addition, when calculating their amount to leave (before they actually snuck out before they were supposed to), I was a bit more generous....but now, they would be forfeiting their deposits too, so there's that.

The downside is though, can't squeeze blood from a stone, and I think I'd have a hard time collecting, even after winning a judgement. So if they fail on the payments, THEN the wife is fine suing, but otherwise, I've just washed my hands of the whole mess, since she's the one who's being soft on it. (and I get it....don't LIKE it....but I GET it....)

Gazrok. First follow your heart and then let your head work out the details.

Latest posts

Back