Hurricane? FL?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s good overall, better codes, but it does price a lot out of being able to live there.

And having to rebuild is not going to price them out? How about the cost to tax payers who will end up footing the cost for FEMA and all the other services that are being taxed to their max? We can't prevent disasters but we can certainly mitigate the damages. How about the increased cost for insurance, due to the extreme damages? Yes, some people will be forced out of the market but down the road, the majority will be better served. Stronger structures will allow folks to return and still have the prised family heirlooms intact. JM2C

And having to rebuild is not going to price them out? How about the cost to tax payers who will end up footing the cost for FEMA and all the other services that are being taxed to their max? We can't prevent disasters but we can certainly mitigate the damages. How about the increased cost for insurance, due to the extreme damages? Yes, some people will be forced out of the market but down the road, the majority will be better served. Stronger structures will allow folks to return and still have the prised family heirlooms intact. JM2C
There’s no doubt that certain things are worth doing now. Every structure should be on 12’ stilts and be reinforced better if it’s near the coast. I’m still amazed they rebuilt homes in the flooded areas of New Orleans. They should have been put on stilts higher than the water table for when it floods again. Notice I said when, not if.
My only concern is when codes get so strict that it takes a rich person to be able to rebuild, excluding the common people. I do think though that is not the govts job to pay to rebuild these people’s himes. Roads and infrastructure maybe, but not personal property. That’s up to the individual and weather they bought insurance or not.

The problem down in Galveston county has been their build codes. When granny bought the beach property with a home she only paid $36,000. 1 large bedroom that fit two double beds plus a single and 1 bath. It was on the ground since her and her husband were getting older and didn't want to mess with stairs. Now to rebuild, you are looking at close to $250,000 for the same house up on stilts. Lots by themselves are now pricing for that amount of money. Only the super rich can rebuild and that is what Galveston county wants. . . More money. That is why everyone in the family has purchased rvs to take down there. We had to replace electricity and an aerorated septic tank because they would not recognize our old tank. Still have to apply for an rv permit every year, but it is worth it to the family. Over in LA they have not adopted the new building restrictions.

The problem down in Galveston county has been their build codes. When granny bought the beach property with a home she only paid $36,000. 1 large bedroom that fit two double beds plus a single and 1 bath. It was on the ground since her and her husband were getting older and didn't want to mess with stairs. Now to rebuild, you are looking at close to $250,000 for the same house up on stilts. Lots by themselves are now pricing for that amount of money. Only the super rich can rebuild and that is what Galveston county wants. . . More money. That is why everyone in the family has purchased rvs to take down there. We had to replace electricity and an aerorated septic tank because they would not recognize our old tank. Still have to apply for an rv permit every year, but it is worth it to the family. Over in LA they have not adopted the new building restrictions.
Just curious, what do they charge for the right to park the camper on your own property each year?

Just curious, what do they charge for the right to park the camper on your own property each year?
I couldn't remember so went and asked hunny. BIL is here too and none of us remember. It wasn't very much though. Think around $50 - $60 every 180 days. It has to be moved every so often as in no permanent parking.

So I'm watching the new about all the looting going on over there. One resident commented " the storm but so hard and so fast people will do whatever to survive. " Really you didn't know it was hurricane season? sorry You know it comes every year. You didn't see it days ahead of time possibly coming your way? That's when you add a little more by doing those last minute items before you evacuate or hunker down. I may just be heartless. . .

So I'm watching the new about all the looting going on over there. One resident commented " the storm but so hard and so fast people will do whatever to survive. " Really you didn't know it was hurricane season? sorry You know it comes every year. You didn't see it days ahead of time possibly coming your way? That's when you add a little more by doing those last minute items before you evacuate or hunker down. I may just be heartless. . .

Some of the comments from the residents in the news and print been leaving me baffled and pist then we have in some reporters in prints blaming Trump for the lack of response, one of them were in USA Today *sigh

Stupid and being unprepared is no excuse for looting. Need to feed the family, be prepared with extra stores. The government cannot compensate for a persons inability to provide for themselves. If you live there, then you know this is going to happen. So I don't feel a bit sorry for folks who expect the government to come to their rescue. AND yes I am a heartless SOB when it comes to stupid people, making stupid decisions. The Gene Pool needs to be cleaned out from time to time. One reason I moved from Kentucky years ago was because of tornadoes. If you can't protect from Mother Nature, then leave the area. JM2C

Last edited:
Stupid and being unprepared is no excuse for looting. Need to feed the family, be prepared with extra stores. The government cannot compensate for a persons inability to provide for themselves. If you live there, then you know this is going to happen. So I don't feel a bit sorry for folks who expect the government to come to their rescue. AND yes I am a heartless SOB when it comes to stupid people, making stupid decisions. The Gene Pool needs to be cleaned out from time to time. One reason I moved form Kentucky years ago was because of tornadoes. If you can't protect from Mother Nature, then leave the area. JM2C

From everything Iv read from the Government for decades They want you to be prepared so you are not a liability. Im some time amused when fellow Preppers act like They think the Military is going to come rolling up and put Them under siege because They have extra food and ammo . Everything that Iv seen substantiated from Government sources instruct the average Citizen to have supplies and plans in place .

From everything Iv read from the Government for decades They want you to be prepared so you are not a liability. Im some time amused when fellow Preppers act like They think the Military is going to come rolling up and put Them under siege because They have extra food and ammo . Everything that Iv seen substantiated from Government sources instruct the average Citizen to have supplies and plans in place .

A lot of misinformation, conspiracy theorist and down right lies regarding federal plans and response. The Government since 1950 have been asking people to prepare for life changing events in fact there are tons of CD videos from the DoD showing civilians how to prepare for hunkering down for 14 days. The Government is starting to sway from the 72hr supply and going back to the two weeks of supplies as a minimum as they should, the 72hr supplies are a joke for the home and quite honestly the first responders are the citizens that's affected, they are the one's that should be ready and prepared first and not just for 3 day's! The g'damn whiny ### babies is pathetic listening to them complain of not getting help because they are hungry and no water, the same theme plays out almost every year, I guess my sympathy has been reduced sarcasm.

Last edited:
Did you see the one hurricane proof house that was still standing in that one hard hit area? Only had a cracked window in a shower. While every other home around it was atomized. Amazing. Bet they are glad they spent the dough.
I saw the Owner interview on FOX . He said every time the builder recommended something He would ask for the next size or quality up .

Latest posts

Back