Gardening 2024

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Amaranth planted for my chickens and rabbits and people. I think I'll plant Comfrey.

I’ve got Comfrey planted, but no Amaranth. Comfrey grows like a weed!! Which is great for feed! A bit afraid of it for animals as it is a said to be poisonous until cooked. I know folks give it to their chickens. I’ve just been leery of it.

For information only. Here is a tidbit about how to make Amaranth safe for chickens.

“FEEDING AMARANTH

Because of the antinutritional factors in amaranth, the seeds must be treated before they can be included in poultry diets in significant amounts. Raw amaranth cannot be included in broiler diets at proportions above 20%. Heat treated amaranth, however, can comprise up to 40% of a broiler diet. Treated amaranth can also be included in the diets of laying hens at proportions up to 40% without adversely affecting production performance.

Dried amaranth leaves can also be fed to chickens. The leaves are relatively high in protein (25%) and methionine. The leaves must be dried before they can be used, to destroy any heat-labile antinutritional factors that might be present.”

Perhaps I will grow some and use the seeds for humans and leaves for the chickens?!

Which type of Amaranth are you growing PP?

For information only. Here is a tidbit about how to make Amaranth safe for chickens.

“FEEDING AMARANTH

Because of the antinutritional factors in amaranth, the seeds must be treated before they can be included in poultry diets in significant amounts. Raw amaranth cannot be included in broiler diets at proportions above 20%. Heat treated amaranth, however, can comprise up to 40% of a broiler diet. Treated amaranth can also be included in the diets of laying hens at proportions up to 40% without adversely affecting production performance.

Dried amaranth leaves can also be fed to chickens. The leaves are relatively high in protein (25%) and methionine. The leaves must be dried before they can be used, to destroy any heat-labile antinutritional factors that might be present.”

Perhaps I will grow some and use the seeds for humans and leaves for the chickens?!

Which type of Amaranth are you growing PP?

green amaranth Amaranthus hybridus, only about 10% of there diet.

Today I got some of my lemon and mandarin orange trees replanted in larger pots. They all need done. Going to finish the others tomorrow. The new pots are 40 gallon ones, so those should be good for awhile. Anyone else had these dwarf fruit trees in pots for many years? This is the 5th year for 2 of them. Going to pick up one more mandarin orange tree. Just have a feeling we will need it. Also got almost all my sweet potato slips planted in cloth 30 gallon grow bags. Have 2 more to do. My planting is delayed because of all the rain, so it frustrates me a bit.

Today I got some of my lemon and mandarin orange trees replanted in larger pots. They all need done. Going to finish the others tomorrow. The new pots are 40 gallon ones, so those should be good for awhile. Anyone else had these dwarf fruit trees in pots for many years? This is the 5th year for 2 of them. Going to pick up one more mandarin orange tree. Just have a feeling we will need it. Also got almost all my sweet potato slips planted in cloth 30 gallon grow bags. Have 2 more to do. My planting is delayed because of all the rain, so it frustrates me a bit.
Took my Meyer lemon out Monday and yesterday I noticed it is being chewed on. I'm watching it closely

I couldn't get Meyer lemons here past cple years...said prohibited to my location. Don't care for mandarin oranges, but wouldn't mind having a cple anyway. I've got some other orange trees we got a few pickings from this past year...were good n sweet....going to be adding more of those n peach this weekend. Got 1 measley peach tree showing fruit...other one is blooming though...just got it few weeks ago and planted.

Attachments

• 20240505_181214.jpg
    16.8 MB · Views: 0
We had army worms decimate all the grass in the pastures a few years ago. Bad for the sheep farmers. Thankfully, not last year or this year.
Did our treat the area? The come back to the same mock orange. I think for 4 years now. I cut them down to about 3 ft and then I treated around the base with DE, flour, baking soda, etc. Just stuff to hopefully kill them.

There arent as many on the mock orange this year.

Latest posts

Back