Gardening 2024

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not. Hopefully, I can do so stuff today. I have to sit quite often and the ground is very wet.

It’s going to be a beautiful day! You need a thick mat to sit on or one of those garden stools. Even when you are better, they are helpful. I never go to the gardens without my mat.

Planting my sweet potatoes today! Yippee!! Saw a new way to plant tomatoes that has me wanting to try it. Take a look.

My neighbor brought me an inversion table. I used it yesterday and this morning my pain was down to 5. I grabbed my gardening stuff and was able to plant for about 45 minutes. I did take breaks and sat down. It felt so good even if it wasn't much. Squash, cucumbers and beans.

I didn't till. Just dug holes and planted then put newspapers all around hole to mulch any weeds. Hopefully, things will grow that arent weeds

Thought I’d share my new way of keeping seeds with you guys. Because I keep so many seeds it was hard for me to keep track of exactly how many I had and what needed replaced or added onto.

1714907428017.jpeg

I bought a few of these above to store my packs of seed in and they are working out phenomenally!! They are arranged alphabetically and any type of seed that has too many for one inside container, I just use 2 or 3.

For my grain and corn seed I put those in gallon canning jars. Same with the cover crop seeds, beans and peas.

Here is a picture of one of the inside containers.

1714910033685.jpeg

These are advertised for storing photos…but a lot of folks use them for seeds!

Don’t laugh 😂 at my scribbling on the seed packets! Those are the year of the seeds and maximum viability time frame (without being in the freezer).

I ordered a Used 1 Row Cultivator. CATEGORY 1--- 3 point hitch today.

My garden next year will probably be 5 times the size it is now.
If you are talking about a middle buster, I picked one up a couple months ago. Still not back in stock at Titan/Palletforks.com. I got mine for a hundred off.
IMG_0008.jpeg
I got mine to sink fence line in the ground and help trench water\electric line .
Cultivator is a really misused term. It’s a single row plow.

Feeling for you Robin. I have hip pain...arthritis, and not much to do about it. I'm sure it would help if I dropped a few lbs, but I do love my pie. I've noticed I'm worse when the humidity is higher, and then I'm popping Aleve, helps a bit.
Sometimes it does seem like when it rains, it pours, but the sun does come out. We buried my mom on the 24th of last month. Had a house full of people come in, and also filled an Airbnb. All of my half sisters came out and one was not so pleasant. And I'm a caretaker for my husband who is in bad health. It all worked out, and I'll miss mom terribly. She was 91. Thought all was well until I walked into a turkey perch, and my forehead looks pretty gnarly now. And my hip needs to feel better enough to get our garden in, too. But hey....potatoes went in and that's good. And my snap peas are up about 6 inches.
Hang in there, Robin.

If you are talking about a middle buster, I picked one up a couple months ago. Still not back in stock at Titan/Palletforks.com. I got mine for a hundred off.
View attachment 25115
I got mine to sink fence line in the ground and help trench water\electric line .
Cultivator is a really misused term. It’s a single row plow.
No, it's this one

Attachments

• s-l400.png
    s-l400.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 0
Feeling for you Robin. I have hip pain...arthritis, and not much to do about it. I'm sure it
I'm going for an ultrasound Thursday to see what's going on with my right hip. Probably arthritis and the doctor pointed out that I AM 71 years old, so it's to be expected at some point. But it comes and goes and sometimes isn't bad except for climbing stairs with a certain angle. Driving bothers it more than anything else. I have to stop and walk around at least once an hour.

I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee that comes and goes. It's been a trick knee for most of my life. It hasn't bothered me much for a long time but the other day when I was climbing a ladder it caught and hurt like the dickens.

Then there are the bad rotator cuffs, but I don't have to walk on those so...

One time I told my doctor that now I know what they mean when old people have "complaints." LOL

Feeling for you Robin. I have hip pain...arthritis, and not much to do about it. I'm sure it would help if I dropped a few lbs, but I do love my pie. I've noticed I'm worse when the humidity is higher, and then I'm popping Aleve, helps a bit.
Sometimes it does seem like when it rains, it pours, but the sun does come out. We buried my mom on the 24th of last month. Had a house full of people come in, and also filled an Airbnb. All of my half sisters came out and one was not so pleasant. And I'm a caretaker for my husband who is in bad health. It all worked out, and I'll miss mom terribly. She was 91. Thought all was well until I walked into a turkey perch, and my forehead looks pretty gnarly now. And my hip needs to feel better enough to get our garden in, too. But hey....potatoes went in and that's good. And my snap peas are up about 6 inches.
Hang in there, Robin.
My mom is 91 and giving up. The test all show my hips are good and I don't need replacements. The just don't know why I have constant thigh pain.
Death brings out the best and worst in people. We have so much we all signed agreements to not have any service and just have a private dinner or something. We will be cremated.

Hang in there, Robin.

I’m sorry to hear you lost your Mom, Amish. She did live to a nice age though. Hang in there, the sun will shine again!

Below is growing information on Oats. We all need to know how to grow this precious grain. Forage Oats are able to be harvested or used by animals in 56 days!! That’s fast.

1715259920888.png

How Much Space Do I Need?​

Oats can produce 36 pounds per bushel. Gene Logsdon states in his book, Small Scale Grain Raising, that one bushel of raw oats makes about fourteen pounds of rolled oats. So you don’t have to grow a lot of plants for a big harvest.

You can grow five bushels on 1/12 of an acre, which is 60×60 feet. If you break that in half you can grow two and a half bushels of oats, quite enough for a small family breakfast needs, in a 30×30 garden space.

(This info above is what I was searching for! Yay!)

Hull-less Oats​

Hull-less oats, Avena nuda, are sometimes called “naked oats”.

Technically, the plants still have a hull, but it’s not as firm and easier to remove than the standard hull. It takes 100-120 days for this plant to reach maturity.

Look for varieties like Streaker, which is resistant to crown rust. Plant it at a rate of three pounds per 1,000 square feet.

Common Oats​

Common oats, Avena sativa, is a white oat that has a tough hull and needs hand or machine threshing. It grows to maturity in 100-120 days. Common oats grow well in acidic soils and will out-compete many weeds.

They also have a lot of biomass if you want to use them as a cover crop. This variety is high yielding.

Forage Oats​

Forage oats, Avena sativa, are a winter hardy variety that you can use as a cover crop or as winter forage for livestock or wildlife like deer and turkeys. They’re incredibly disease resistant, with a softer stem than common oats.

Look for varieties like Reeves, Niagra, and Everleaf. These varieties mature in 49-56 days.

Latest posts

Back