Food prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I so envy that storage! I have promised myself proper prepper storage at the new house! I have a lot of our stores boxed up now in readiness for the move so I have less idea of what I have. After solving the dilemma, I ordered a large mixed box of TVP for longer term storage, as well as a few other things.

Oh I so envy that storage! I have promised myself proper prepper storage at the new house! I have a lot of our stores boxed up now in readiness for the move so I have less idea of what I have. After solving the dilemma, I ordered a large mixed box of TVP for longer term storage, as well as a few other things.
TVP?

My cabinets in the kitchen do not go all the way up to the ceiling and for years have had different knick knack items on the tops. Since I have been running out of room in my stock room, I have started utilizing that extra space by putting 1/2 gallon and quart sized jars of things I have dehydrated, like the peppers and beans. I've only used part of two cabinets so far though so have a little more wriggle room there at least. I do have plenty more room that can be used, I just hate doing away with cherished items. I'm sure I will eventually be boxing up more and more though. I have an old pie case in the bathroom that holds extra towels, it may have to come out in the dining room eventually. And great mothers china may need to get boxed up in the China hutch.

I have storage units all over the house. It helps if you have some carpentry skills, but you can buy used stuff at yard sales and such too. Most of the furniture I make doubles as some kind of storage. One of my coffee tables has about 30bottles of wine in it, one loveseat has ammo stored under the seating, etc. I have two main pantry’s but fill the kitchen cabinets too. I guess I’m a pack rat at heart.

I have converted my daughter's old bedroom into a pantry type room. I have home canned goods on one wall and store bought goods on another wall.

I have also taken it over as my bedroom. Why I let my husband take the master bedroom is beyond me. I just need a place to crawl into at night and I'm okay.

Last year for my birthday, I got some heavy duty metal shelving for my canning because I have heard disaster stories about shelves crashing and breaking all of someone's hard work. I would definitely cry if I lost about 250 jars at once.

I have converted my daughter's old bedroom into a pantry type room. I have home canned goods on one wall and store bought goods on another wall.

I have also taken it over as my bedroom. Why I let my husband take the master bedroom is beyond me. I just need a place to crawl into at night and I'm okay.

Last year for my birthday, I got some heavy duty metal shelving for my canning because I have heard disaster stories about shelves crashing and breaking all of someone's hard work. I would definitely cry if I lost about 250 jars at once.
That is another reason why I am a fan of freeze dried goods....no glass jars unless you choose to use them. Mylar bags into plastic totes for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a couple metal shelving and rolling carts in my stock room sold in most home improvement stores. We have them at work and know they will hold a lot of weight, but I am scared to stack my canning jar items on them just for the reasons you listed. .shelves held together by 4 clip things . That would make me cry if I lost all that good and hard work! I opted for the heavy duty shelving that was used in a friend's mechanic shop. They may not be the prettiest ones out there but at least I feel like they will stay in place.

Glass jars may be fragile and heavy, but they certainly have their place. They are very cleanable, reusable hundreds of times, and contents are easily identifiable. I even use them as drinking glasses for that country charm! I do agree though, either get strong shelving or reinforce one you have.

Glass jars may be fragile and heavy, but they certainly have their place. They are very cleanable, reusable hundreds of times, and contents are easily identifiable. I even use them as drinking glasses for that country charm! I do agree though, either get strong shelving or reinforce one you have.

Glass is so much more sanitary than plastic. I won't drink out of plastic is given choice.

Glass is so much more sanitary than plastic. I won't drink out of plastic is given choice.
I agree plastic is a lot more susceptible to bacteria. I do make wine in the 5 gal plastic water bottles, but exchange them frequently. Luckily the alcohol and sterilization before hand has kept problems at bay so far.

I have a couple metal shelving and rolling carts in my stock room sold in most home improvement stores. We have them at work and know they will hold a lot of weight, but I am scared to stack my canning jar items on them just for the reasons you listed. .shelves held together by 4 clip things . That would make me cry if I lost all that good and hard work! I opted for the heavy duty shelving that was used in a friend's mechanic shop. They may not be the prettiest ones out there but at least I feel like they will stay in place.

Mine is heavy duty metal too

Here is a calculator that may help and give some information. It is formatted in HTML, tested in Firefox and Chrome. I put it in a zip file given I'm unable to upload a HTML formatted page
I downloaded, but my tablet says can not open. Is there some magic I need to do first?

Here is a calculator that may help and give some information. It is formatted in HTML, tested in Firefox and Chrome. I put it in a zip file given I'm unable to upload a HTML formatted page
This looks really nice, but its not supported on my tablet. I cant enter any numbers.

Latest posts

Back