Fence Energizers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They would if they know they will get extra "special" feeding. They are gluttons. All I have to do is call them and they come a running. It doesn't even matter if it's feeding time of the day. On occasion, I take out a "treat". It may be limbs trimmed, garden scraps, cookies ect. Once you get them trained, they come if in ear shot.
The wife is the one that makes pets out of every critter. I look at something and see either food or $$ signs. I really don't know if I could justify buying a mile or so of goat proof fencing. Maybe we could put a few goats in the new chicken run to see if we like them.

The wife is the one that makes pets out of every critter. I look at something and see either food or $$ signs. I really don't know if I could justify buying a mile or so of goat proof fencing. Maybe we could put a few goats in the new chicken run to see if we like them.
My friend had 3 or 4 strand barb on one property line To a Rez. Cattle fence on the other sides. He ran a dog training business in a remote area.
His property was open to customers on Saturday and he then had the goats penned. Gates closed in between sections of property on weekdays to let the goats clear areas.
I dont think you would need miles of net, just temporary if you want a certain area cleared. Since you had cattle, you might have the infrastructure in place.
I would think about them here, but last owners had too many issues with them being Mt Lion bait.

My friend had 3 or 4 strand barb on one property line To a Rez. Cattle fence on the other sides. He ran a dog training business in a remote area.
His property was open to customers on Saturday and he then had the goats penned. Gates closed in between sections of property on weekdays to let the goats clear areas.
I dont think you would need miles of net, just temporary if you want a certain area cleared. Since you had cattle, you might have the infrastructure in place.
I would think about them here, but last owners had too many issues with them being Mt Lion bait.
Much of my fencing is typical range fence, 3 strands of barb wire. Some areas have 4 strands, plus all of the new fencing I've built is 4 strand. My thought process is, I really didn't want to be moving fencing around. This time of year it's almost impossible to put posts in the ground, even for temporary fences. Today I drove in 20 T posts × 7'. It was like driving them in concrete. I almost got blisters on my hands from the driver. So, any fencing that I build here has to be permanent, near water and built in the early spring.

We haven't had goats all that long, so we are still finding what works for us. Since we have a small herd and no cattle, just having small sections of netting put up works but we do have some permanent fencing, too.

@Danil54grl would be better to clarify for this, but we have found they get sick less if they're intensively grazed/browsed and moved frequently. Ours keep going back to the same things they like and ignore other stuff if they have too much space. They also seem to get sick less on browse than pasture. It's a win-win because they're happier and I don't have to clear underbrush in the woods!

Right now, it has been tricky because the new goats are still in quarantine while await their biosecurity panels. I'm having to get creative.

Latest posts

Back