Feeding the trolls.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm barely computer savvy enough to hold my own, and I had to look up "trolling" to get a better idea of what it is.

I believe in airing different ideas...and I like hearing opinions that are different from my own, as I believe that this helps safeguard my outlook against self-deception. Also, a contrary idea shouldn't feel threatening if I honestly believe that I have something that's objectively true (assuming, of course, that objective truth actually exists).

So, where do we draw the line in a grey area between the interchange of different ideas and trolling?

For myself, I'd like to believe that I show respect for ideas that are contrary to my own, but is there more than this if one is to avoid being a troll?

Kevin,

I think there is more than that. Someone who is completely out of place intentionally can be a troll. A cat walks into a room full of dogs in crates. The dogs can't get to the cat, but the barking explodes. That cat has no purpose there, it's just there to cause trouble.

Now can a cat have a valid point? Sure. Everything has a place and time. But that cat has no point not in a dog kennel.

Same can be said here. An anti-gun, trust-the-gov't, hug-a-tree global climate change liberal is that cat in this kennel.

Can anyone tell me if they are here to hear anti-gun baloney? To hear how climate change is anything other than a joke? That the gov't is doing a great job?

Can anyone tell me one bit of information this cat has brought of value to this forum?

I had to think a bit before responding, Texas.

I'm very pro gun, but I try to keep abreast of things that the anti-gun people say and believe...if only to be informed on the opposition so that I can be prepared and forwarned.

So yes, I think an anti-gun person would be an asset on this forum.

The same goes for other ideas that may make us re-examine our politics, religious beliefs, and values.

I think it's important to constantly examine our deeply held beliefs to (for no other reason) make sure that we aren't deceiving ourselves on an important issue.

We are, in other words, our own worst enemy when it comes to believing what we want to believe.

Kevin,

I do understand what you are saying, but I still think there is more to it.

I'll stick with the cat example. Sure, dogs want to know what cats do to know how to deal with them out in the yard. The issue/problem is that the behavior of the cat in the room with the dogs in kennels is probably not behaving like a cat outside. The cat is purely there to aggravate the dogs. That is it's purpose and it's not the same behavior as outside. There are no trees to climb in the house!

So I completely agree with you that knowing what liberals are saying is good to keep up with. To know how to defend your beliefs and consider any new information they have. But you can't learn these things from a liberal who comes here to antagonize people. The behavior will be different, their motive is different. A much better option is to just watch the mainstream media 'news'. I want to hear them in their comfort zone, that gives the full story.

Does that make sense?

first off it is wise to keep abreast of what the anti-gun people are doing,,,,on to the trolls

trolls are easy to spot they start a thread or make a post that is off the wall just to see who jumps,,,,,and I have been guilty of jumping,,,I for one am going to make an effort to ignore the occasional troll that swims by,,

I have had words with a few of you but it is a forum we will not always agree,

Trolls are pretty much the same on all forums,,,,they just want to stir the pot

They appear to take great perverse pleasure in destroying something good that other people have created. I've seen it on prepping forums and boards going back as far as the ancient YAHOO GROUPS Misc Survival bullitin board. Fish keeping forums, camping and camper van forums, 4x4 forums etc .

I'm reminded of a line from the movie WarGames.....

"Strange game....the only winning move....is not to play"

I think that applies here. I'm just not going to chime in to any more of these ridiculous initialized threads. (especially when immediately replied to by the other account, lol).

. I'm just not going to chime in to any more of these ridiculous initialized threads. (especially when immediately replied to by the other account said:
You noticed that too ;)

Latest posts

Back