EMP

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never rely on outsiders, even if they live nearby, their attitude will be "whats in it for me?" and will not have your best interests at heart, far from it.
there is only one person to rely on in an emergency and that is ourselves, not strangers, not neighbours, and definitely NOT the govt.
self reliance is the key, if we arent self reliant we will fail big time.

Isn't there some sort of plant(s) that can be grown to feed chickens? Are there insects which can be cultivated? Or worms?

I have always wondered why people have to buy feed when they have room to grow things. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

There are many proven ways to grow feed, raise worms and soldier flies to feed chickens. Most folks don’t do that right now because the cost of buying feed is not high enough to make growing it worth the time and effort. Hoping others are like me and not only have a large supply of store feed, but also a large store of seeds to grow their own when the time comes.

Just as Poltergeist is planning, I will be raising worms in a worm bed and trying out soldier flies this year. Am also growing more sunflower seeds for winter feeding. They are a great way to supply the needed protein and they last all winter long.

I have some like minded neighbors but, am not going to count on them for anything truly necessary.

People have a way of changing in a real crisis. Not going to gamble that when the chips are down, they will have the same generous attitude they put forth now.

If you have something to barter, something they need (goods or services), to exchange for something you need, that is a different deal. Even then, if there is a drought, a flood, a hail storm that destroys a crop and they come up short, any deal you have might be canceled.

Agreed. But I think it's good to stay in your wheel house and specialize. That's why I chose to use steam power to make electricity in order to keep my shop running. I can barter for both making and repairing things. At least that's the hope.

Agreed. But I think it's good to stay in your wheel house and specialize. That's why I chose to use steam power to make electricity in order to keep my shop running. I can barter for both making and repairing things. At least that's the hope.

I guess my point is that situations can change and you do not want to be reliant on getting food from a neighbor in exchange for anything else except maybe another need, such as medical care/medicine or water. If there is a shortage, they can go without electricity, if it means there is enough food to feed their family. Barter items have different values; wants vs needs.

Isn't there some sort of plant(s) that can be grown to feed chickens? Are there insects which can be cultivated? Or worms?

I have always wondered why people have to buy feed when they have room to grow things. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Turnip greens!

I agree with GP. It takes a lot of land to grow the required feed for animals. I have said before, our family comes from farmers. If I had to grow 100% of our food and animal feed, I don't think I could do it.

It is ideal to just free range the birds but then you lose a lot to predators.

It's just easier to buy feed for now.

If there is a shortage, they can go without electricity, if it means there is enough food to feed their family. Barter items have different values; wants vs needs.

I agree with what you've said. I do not plan to provide anyone with electricity. The electricity is for when their equipment fails, and needs to be fixed -- re-create parts, make tools, weld, etc. I can also route wood and plasma cut. And I have 5 different types of sharpening machines.

As it stands now, I am the only shop of any sort within a 10 mile radius. If power goes out, that will be a much larger radius.

Last edited:
Don’t forget to add meat rabbits, so your family will have a steady, quiet and easy to feed meat source!

I have my cages ready. We need to have a discussion on meat rabbits. Any good videos you recommend? Maybe setup a private discussion on discord?

Don’t forget to add meat rabbits, so your family will have a steady, quiet and easy to feed meat source!
We have the doe and buck! I'm nervous to breed them because my kids see rabbits as pets and that's my fault. I'm someone who wants even utility animals to have a good life, so the fiber rabbits get spoiled.

They made me promise that we would never eat the parents and only the offspring because they have "bonded" to the meat rabbit doe and buck, so I suppose that's a start.

Is that a literal designation "meat rabbit" ?

It sure is! And you only want to raise the meat kind to eat. One pair of rabbits will give you 220 lbs of meat in one year. New Zealand’s are my choice of rabbit. The kits grow fast and the meat is delicious. They eat everything humans and chickens don’t.

I agree with what you've said. I do not plan to provide anyone with electricity. The electricity is for when their equipment fails, and needs to be fixed -- re-create parts, make tools, weld, etc. I can also route wood and plasma cut. And I have 5 different types of sharpening machines.

As it stands now, I am the only shop of any sort within a 10 mile radius. If power goes out, that will be a much larger radius.

It is defiantly a good skill. Functioning machinists will be in short supply! My mechanic middle son's FIL is a machinist and also does firearms. My ranch hand is a metal fabricator (and logger) and my youngest daughter and her current BF can weld. My oldest son and I both have carpentry and framing skills. My husband mills raw lumber and I also do masonry and finish fabrication of things like trim, furniture legs etc.. We also have sharpening machines for everything from chainsaws to knives, as well as the files and oil stones needed.

There will be many skills that will have great value and, "would you like fries with that?" Won't be one of them. Just don't rely on anyone else to provide the basics for you, even through barter, namely food and water. Have that shored up to reproduce/replace for the long term without a middle man so to speak.

I was under the impression that they were not very good eating.

Probably not, and I would not eat them under "normal circumstances."

Make some jerky. Use it for barter. Spice it up good and you can't tell what it is.

Some coyotes have good fur, but most don't. But it's fur.

Latest posts

Back