Dryer lint tip

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use dryer sheets, keep them after the load is done and you can wrap the lint up in one. They catch easy and it gets another use out of something that would just be thrown away.

Another thing on the dryer lint. If you have cardboard egg cartons, you can melt paraffin wax, mix it with your lint and fill up the cups in the egg carton. When it's hardened, you cut them apart and you have firestarters without the chemicals and they burn a good long while to help catch wet or greener wood. You can use candle wax as well, or beeswax, I use the Gulf paraffin from the store because it's cheap.

If you are starting the fire with a sparker, then I would tamp lint down on the top of the wax block when it's almost hard so you have something fuzzy to catch quick.

I've used dryer lint to start fires for years but never thought of using egg cartons and wax to make fuel sticks with it

You are sure right about the lint from a towel load. It works great. I have used it for years. That's all I usually bring when we go into the swamp. It's lite and doesn't take up much room. It also doesn't take much to start it.

Yep. Got 4 quart zip lock bags full of lint with Vaseline. I guess being really prepped is having as many options covered as you can. We have different fire starters in in each of our BOBs. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before TSHTF. I have a lot of my info on flash drives but will be printing as much as I can. That way even without my PC I will not lose my Info.

we've kept a wast basket next to the washer to put dryer lint and swiffer mop pads into before throwing away.guess all i'll put into it from now on is the lint

I'd let the mop things dry out and keep them too. Use them to wrap lint in. That's what I do with dryer sheets, I guess it would work with those things too.

I keep a Baggie stuffed with this stuff in my bag with my flint and steel, it is awesome fuel to help start a fire and its free, light and you can pack a ton of it in a ziplock bag.
If you use dryer sheets, keep them after the load is done and you can wrap the lint up in one. They catch easy and it gets another use out of something that would just be thrown away.

Another thing on the dryer lint. If you have cardboard egg cartons, you can melt paraffin wax, mix it with your lint and fill up the cups in the egg carton. When it's hardened, you cut them apart and you have firestarters without the chemicals and they burn a good long while to help catch wet or greener wood. You can use candle wax as well, or beeswax, I use the Gulf paraffin from the store because it's cheap.
A friend of mine goes one step further. he mixes the lint with bacon grease. I have found it is harder to light those with a flint and steel than is just lint/dryer sheets alone. Has anyone here try it with bacon grease?

:eek: Oh my God! That is sacrilege Clyde. One mustn't ever waste bacon grease like that. You must show your friend the error of his ways. Bacon grease is to be kept for cooking. Repeat that to yourself three times. Do not malign pork fat. Ever. You've given me the vapors when I think of wasting that precious goodness.
109.gif

Now that I've got that out of my lil' ol' Southern heart, I'd only ever use bacon grease for fire starting if it's gone rancid, there's just too much good it can do otherwise. It will make the weeds (dandelions, lambs quarter, sorrel, and others) palatable and something to look forward to eating.

well i tryed the tube n lint..but forgot the Vaseline.so it was a total failer..but i did try a swifer mop pad.the fire is up n going with just 1 mop pad..

I have small balls of wax with cotton rope. each about an 3/4 inch in diameter. I use these (along with a butane lighter to start a fire). I put these inside those M&M Mini tubes. As the wax drips, it helps the other fuel catch fire and is non toxic.

Haven't tried it with a flint yet.

i make my fire starters outta toilet paper tubes and stuff the lint inside. when i made them for my bugout bag i dipped them in wax so they dont get get plus the wax acts as a fuel. also thats not my pic i googled it seeing how my camera is dead.....

Attachments

• imagesCAZ3LRIX.jpg
    imagesCAZ3LRIX.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back