Recent record breaking heatwaves/fires in northern hemisphere and El Nino

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day fellow preppers apologies for being fairly slack lately as I'm currently completing 3rd/4th units of undergraduate certificate in emergency management with both on second assignments in addition to running my rav 4 around in hopes of finding a mechanic who can track down a slow coolant leak luckily enough latter has happened already after going to two different mechanics already whom couldn't be bothered with putting it up in the air of which my new mechanic has done to discover a white powdery residue from glycol coolant underneath near the manifold which indicates an external leak but he cant get to it till next Wednesday or Thursday so I have to keep topping up with coolant or water daily this week for work

Anyways before going off topic I've been keeping almost daily track of everything that's happened over in the states and other countries from extreme heat/record breaking day time temps and rampaging fires as climate experts are now saying Australia is on track to experience similar of same conditions to Cerberus heatwave just wondering if any fellow preppers in the states can provide some tips of how to pre-emptively prepare for Cerberus like heat come summer 23/24 here in Australia as its a whole different ball game comparison to previous summer heat

underneath near the manifold which indicates an external leak but he cant get to it till next Wednesday or Thursday so I have to keep topping up with coolant or water daily this week for work
IF the leak is not too big, pour a shot glass of black pepper into the radiator and see if it will slow the leak down. I learned that from my dad who drove a Daihatsu in Queensland back in the seventies when he lived downunder...

IF the leak is not too big, pour a shot glass of black pepper into the radiator and see if it will slow the leak down. I learned that from my dad who drove a Daihatsu in Queensland back in the seventies when he lived downunder...
Thanks for that tip GaRp58 never knew you could do that at least its getting looked at on either possibly Wednesday when i drop it off or quite likely first thing Thursday morning when my mechanic has first opportunity

Moving on any tips on how to pre-emptively prepare for the looming Cerberus like heatwave that is likely to afflict South Australia during summer as heatwave potential maps I got from my subscription forecaster this morning has my area at a 15-30% chance of above average heatwave conditions in December this sky rockets to 45-65% in January then right into dangerous territory of 75% for February

So how did they measure and record the temps 120,000 years ago? I was always taught that Galileo created the thermometer between 1592 and 1598. I’m asking this seriously because they may have had another resource used to measure temperature prior to Galileo. That would actually be interesting.

So how did they measure and record the temps 120,000 years ago? I was always taught that Galileo created the thermometer between 1592 and 1598. I’m asking this seriously because they may have had another resource used to measure temperature prior to Galileo. That would actually be interesting.
Hey, this are the Greenies, the top of the evolution and the new leaders of humanship. Their religion dosn't do any mistakes at all...
Praise them and follow their advice....

Serious - it's the new way you have to believe and to think in Western Europe. Guess you don't have any idea how worse it is over here really.

Some summers are hotter and dryer in some years, and wetter and cooler in other years. That's the way it's been for billions of years.
At our location, the last snow fell on June 22nd. We had rain in June and again in August. Never seen rain here in August before. We've already had to turn the heat on a couple times this month. And have only used the AC maybe 5 times this summer.
A couple hot summers, or cold winters doesn't prove climate change. The data needs to be analyzed over 10's of thousands of years, at least.
It's a little arrogant, naive and ignorant to think than anything that Man has ever done has affected the climate.

G'day fellow preppers apologies for being fairly slack lately as I'm currently completing 3rd/4th units of undergraduate certificate in emergency management with both on second assignments in addition to running my rav 4 around in hopes of finding a mechanic who can track down a slow coolant leak luckily enough latter has happened already after going to two different mechanics already whom couldn't be bothered with putting it up in the air of which my new mechanic has done to discover a white powdery residue from glycol coolant underneath near the manifold which indicates an external leak but he cant get to it till next Wednesday or Thursday so I have to keep topping up with coolant or water daily this week for work

Anyways before going off topic I've been keeping almost daily track of everything that's happened over in the states and other countries from extreme heat/record breaking day time temps and rampaging fires as climate experts are now saying Australia is on track to experience similar of same conditions to Cerberus heatwave just wondering if any fellow preppers in the states can provide some tips of how to pre-emptively prepare for Cerberus like heat come summer 23/24 here in Australia as its a whole different ball game comparison to previous summer heat

If you plan on growing anything look into hydroponics. Our main problem this year was lack of water. We have a well, but some around the area have said they are going dry. We share aquifers here and the cities have been growing all around us, sucking water out of both the aquifer and the reservoirs. Since we are worried about our well going dry, I stopped watering all but the essential things, which did not make the garden veggies very happy.

If you plan on growing anything look into hydroponics. Our main problem this year was lack of water. We have a well, but some around the area have said they are going dry. We share aquifers here and the cities have been growing all around us, sucking water out of both the aquifer and the reservoirs. Since we are worried about our well going dry, I stopped watering all but the essential things, which did not make the garden veggies very happy.
Just curious, how deep are the wells in your area?

BOL1 well is 1600 ft. (drilled artesian), but it's like the fourth aquifer down. You could just poke a pipe in the ground to make a shallow well.

BOL2 well is 78 ft. (bored) ... not deep enough because it gets low and the pump starts pulling up sediment. Not sure how long the sediment pump will last before it's full of mud.

Are you working outside? There are some cool (pun intended) things you can put around your neck that help alot. If you can stay indoors, just get a small AC in the window of a room and try to hang out in there. Cover your windows to keep much of the heat of the day out. Mini Split systems are amazing if you need more power.

Great tip on the hydroponics @rainingcatzanddogs , look up "The Kratky method" of growing. It works incredibly well.

Are you working outside? There are some cool (pun intended) things you can put around your neck that help alot. If you can stay indoors, just get a small AC in the window of a room and try to hang out in there. Cover your windows to keep much of the heat of the day out. Mini Split systems are amazing if you need more power.

Great tip on the hydroponics @rainingcatzanddogs , look up "The Kratky method" of growing. It works incredibly well.
Those "cool things" that you hang around your neck just doesn't seem to work in high humidity areas. Hunny tried it.

This is great input everyone loving the responses
Yes as my late arvo till late night (10pmish) job doing trolley retrieval at woolies requires me working outside in the heat till it cools down so I've been looking at those legionaries hats which have complete neck protection but will put off getting that hat till mid November just before summer starts

Just curious, how deep are the wells in your area?
I know you were asking rainingcatzanddogs this question Arcticdude but thought I'd put my 2cents in the bore my old man had sunk back in early 90's for the fire pump is connected to a local aquifer which has pure cold water I found that out about 5 months ago when filling up a small swimming pool and felt the water surely enough it was clear and cold

Just an update for everyone I decided to go back to my main mechanic (a cousin on mums side of the family) as the fourbie requires a head gasket repair or possibly another engine of which will take roughly 4 days to do something him and his father know how to do and have experience in thankfully its still an external leak but still requires thorough work and problem solving to do it is booked in on Monday after next for an 08:30 am drop off this will allow them to get started right away

BOL2 well is 78 ft. (bored) ... not deep enough because it gets low and the pump starts pulling up sediment. Not sure how long the sediment pump will last before it's full of mud.
I meant "sediment filter". My fingers and my brain must have been on different wavelengths or something, LOL.

My roofing friends wear hoodies in the Summer. Found this article for you because to most it sounds ridiculous, but they swear by it.

https://workgearz.com/why-do-roofers-wear-hoodies/

"Roofers wear hoodies and long sleeves in order to protect themselves from heat, and harmful UV rays of the sun which might cause some serious sun burns when you’re spending long hours in direct sun. It also helps protect against scrapes and scratches from working around nails and other sharp materials.

It is preferable to wear hoodies or long sleeves while working in the sun as it produces sweat. And the sweat produced by extra clothing makes it easier to stay cool."

Of course, you will need to drink at least a gallon a day. If you aren't urinating, you are not drinking enough.

Latest posts

Back